PDA

View Full Version : A epi or a gibson SG

pes_laul
March 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
So I keep on thinking to myself which would be better a cheaper gibson like a Special faded SG or a epi SG like a G-400 the faded is like 700 while the G-400 is 400

hubberjub
March 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I see the used Gibson SG Specials going on Ebay for around 500. You'll be much happier with a real Gibson.

warren0728
March 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
i would probably get a used gibson...not that the epis aren't ok but the giby will hold it's value better and generally a better guitar (better electronics and such)....

ww

ZMAN
March 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I have an original 60s SG and I was skeptical about the newer SGs being even close. My friend had a faded SG in the Worn Brown color. I tried it out for a couple of days and I was very impressed with this little guitar. I am not sure what pickups are on it but they were open coils. I found it very comfortable and easy to play. The pickups were very responsive and I actually offered to buy it from him. My experience with that guitar has also fueled a possible purchase of a similar Les Paul with the Burst Buckers. They are are really nice guitar without the bling. But really what bling is there on an SG?

pes_laul
March 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have an original 60s SG and I was skeptical about the newer SGs being even close. My friend had a faded SG in the Worn Brown color. I tried it out for a couple of days and I was very impressed with this little guitar. I am not sure what pickups are on it but they were open coils. I found it very comfortable and easy to play. The pickups were very responsive and I actually offered to buy it from him. My experience with that guitar has also fueled a possible purchase of a similar Les Paul with the Burst Buckers. They are are really nice guitar without the bling. But really what bling is there on an SG?
Yeah I played the faded brown one at GC and I really liked it alot

just strum
March 27th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'm going to take the other side on this and say I would consider an Epi. I have the G400 and it plays and sounds great. I admit that I don't play it as much as the others, but when I do I really do enjoy it.

If you can find a used Gibson that hasn't been trashed, I would consider it. However, I wouldn't pay extra for the name on the headstock. Nothing wrong with a Gibson, but they continue to price themselves out of the average guitar buyers market.

Algonquin
March 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Ya Kris... if your in the mood for an SG, go for a used Epi. A lot easier on the wallet. You're a young man!, $$$ are hard to come by, and you'll loose next to nothing if you want to sell it down the road.

You've got that beautiful Ibanez... put some grooves in the frets before you start looking for something else.

pes_laul
March 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Algonquin]Ya Kris... if your in the mood so an SG, go for a used Epi. A lot easier on the wallet. Your a young man!, $$$ are hard to come by, and you'll loose next to nothing if you want to sell it down the road.

You've got that beautiful Ibanez... put some grooves in the frets before you start looking for something else.[/QUOTE/] I know, I love my ibanez but I'm getting a job pretty soon And I would like a backup guitar. If spudman had to wear some "Grooves" before he would get a new guitar he would probably be reall old:rotflmao: (No offense spuds)

Fretbuzz
March 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
How about this one?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/621326474.html

wingsdad
March 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM
...If you can find a used Gibson that hasn't been trashed, I would consider it. However, I wouldn't pay extra for the name on the headstock. Nothing wrong with a Gibson, but they continue to price themselves out of the average guitar buyers market.

To take this point of Strum's up a notch, while it's been a truism that Gibson's would hold their resale value more so than an Epiphone, the way Gibson's spiraled their prices upwards in recent history with all thier niche model variations and their 'Johnny Guitar Hero of the Moment' Signature models, and Epis prices have pretty much held the line (by Gibson cutting manufacturing costs in China) in terms of percentage of original cost, ironically, Epis actually hold their resale value better.

For instance: buy a new Epi for $400, you can probably get $300, minimum, if kept in good shape, within the first year, and more later as prices inevitably move up. So you'd lose at most 25%. On the other hand, buy a low-end Gibson for $700 and you may get $500, same scenario, and you'll lose about 30%. It gets worse the higher-priced the Gibson is.

A good Rule of Thumb is to expect a used guitar in excellent condition to be worth about 40-50% of it's original or current MSRP. Bottom line is that just like a new car, you've lost money the minute you leave the store with it, and you've got to live with accepting that reality. And, like a car, if you keep the guitar 2 years and lose $200, it cost you $100/year to own it. If you lose $100, it cost you $50/year, and so on...