PDA

View Full Version : Hello... a brief introduction

guitar ruki
April 8th, 2006, 03:10 PM
My name is Jamie and I live in So. California with my wife, Angie. I stumbled across this forum and thought it would be fun and informative. I consider myself a "newbie" as a guitarist.

I purchased a copy of a Les Paul (Epiphone) a couple of years ago and have taken a few lessons but have been inconsistent in my pursuit to learn to play better. Just recently, my commitment to learning has been renewed by the desire to play Beatles' tunes. I just purchased a Breedlove electric/acoustic (AC25/SR PLUS)

I played trumpet in my jr. high band many years ago so I have a little bit of a music background. I hope that that someday, I'll be able to call myself a guitarist and not have my wife burst out laughing.

Cheers everyone.

Jamie

tot_Ou_tard
April 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Cheers Jamie & Welcome!

So, which Beatles tunes are you most interested in playing?

guitar ruki
April 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Cheers Jamie & Welcome!

So, which Beatles tunes are you most interested in playing?

Thanks for the welcome.

As far as Beatles' tunes, there are so many I love. I just met a new friend who is an excellent guitarist and he taught me how to play Norwegian Wood. After a couple of weeks of driving my wife nuts, it's actually sounding not too shabby.

Just yesterday, I started to learn the intro to " I feel fine". It's coming along pretty well so it's encouraging. I just to need to practice more and develop some calluses, ouch.

tot_Ou_tard
April 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I was actually surprised at how fast the calluses came for me. It took less than two weeks. I haven't learned a Beatles tune yet, but I will & some Stones and mebbe even some Kinks as well.

guitar ruki
April 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I actually had an Epiphone acoustic a few months back that callused my fingers nicely. One day, I picked it up and it was totally out of tune. I proceeded to tune it for a couple of minutes til' I realized the headstock was cracked big time.

My wife noticed my shock and admitted she "accidently" knocked it off the stand.

I'm cool with it though. I got a nice replacement w/no arguments from the old lady.

LOL

ZoSo65
April 8th, 2006, 05:24 PM
HI there gr, and welcome to theFrets' little corner of the net! :R

Nelskie
April 8th, 2006, 05:27 PM
MyI hope that that someday, I'll be able to call myself a guitarist and not have my wife burst out laughing.
Ruki - I walked a mile in those same shoes. Ain't no laughin' goin' on these days either! Welcome to our forum. Prepare yourself to learn from the wealth of great players and fine people that are here every day. ;)

Spudman
April 8th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the forum Ruki.
In spite of the way we sometimes ramble I think there is still some very good information here. Why do we ramble? At our age you got to have a sense of humor. It is with that idea that you might mention to your wife to stop laughing at your attempts to play and focus on not breaking your stuff. LOL If that would have been a 57 you can't replace that, wives however, all over the place. Oh I'm gonna get introuble for that. It's rock-n-roll mate.
Enjoy your stay.

Robert
April 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Welcome Ruki, there are good ramblings on our minds around here - have fun! There is a lot good information being shared here, so dig in.

Katastrophe
April 8th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Welcome Ruki... This forum is all about sharing, no matter what the experience or playing level. Have fun, post often, and I look forward to learning from you as well.

guitar ruki
April 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Wow!...

I'm deeply overjoyed and humbled by your hospitality.

Actually, my wife does'nt really laugh out loud. She usually walks into another room first and shuts the door!

I have always loved the guitar. When I was a teenager, one of my older brother's friend was a good guitarist. He used to come to my house with his Fender Strat and I would beg him to teach me something.

Guess what? He taught me Stairway to Heaven. I played that song over and over again up until the electric solo. That is as far as I got.

Then one day, I saw Wayne's World and immediately became embarrased.

Sheesh!

Thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna be hangin' out with you guys til' you get sick of me.

Jamie

guitar ruki
April 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Ruki.
In spite of the way we sometimes ramble I think there is still some very good information here. Why do we ramble? At our age you got to have a sense of humor. It is with that idea that you might mention to your wife to stop laughing at your attempts to play and focus on not breaking your stuff. LOL If that would have been a 57 you can't replace that, wives however, all over the place. Oh I'm gonna get introuble for that. It's rock-n-roll mate.
Enjoy your stay.

I love this guy's sense of humor! I think I'm gonna like it here!

Peace!

warren0728
April 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM
welcome ruki....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here! Stick around long enough and you will be hooked. We do tend to ramble sometimes and get slightly off-topic....so read the old threads for lots of good info with a dash of entertainment along the way!

ww

M29
April 8th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hello Guitar Ruki,

Welcome, you found a great place to hang out!!

M29

duhvoodooman
April 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Actually, my wife does'nt really laugh out loud. She usually walks into another room first and shuts the door!
Whoa, now that sounds familiar!! :D

Welcome to The Fret, Jamie. The more, the merrier! :R

tot_Ou_tard
April 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM

I thought we were talking about your guitar playing. :D

Tim
April 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Welcome Jamie. There are a few newbies on this forum. I am one myself. Enjoy the forum.

r_a_smith3530
April 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Welcome to the forum Jamie! I think you will like it around here. We try to be of help to each other and look at life in a lighthearted way. Just don't ask Warren for donuts! :D

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Welcome Jamie. Beatles fan here too.

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Man, I just caught this tidbit of information. Next time case her down and put the guitar in her hands and ask her to do better. It may cure the giggles she presently has.

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Next time case her down and put the guitar in her hands and ask her to do better. It may cure the giggles she presently has.
One the other hand, if she starts ripping off EVH runs from "Eruption" or plays the entire Clapton "Crossroads" solo, then you're in a world of hurt... :D

warren0728
April 10th, 2006, 10:13 AM
One the other hand, if she starts ripping off EVH runs from "Eruption" or plays the entire Clapton "Crossroads" solo, then you're in a world of hurt... :D
yeah and if she didn't appreciate your antics ...you have just given her a pretty darn good weapon....and then you're in another world of hurt! :eek:

ww

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Then I would bow down to the "goddess of guitars" and ask her to teach me a few licks and phrases.

Are we still on topic here? Thought I would ask!

r_a_smith3530
April 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Man, I just caught this tidbit of information. Next time case her down and put the guitar in her hands and ask her to do better. It may cure the giggles she presently has.

Then watch, she turns out to be a child prodigy who studied under Julian Bream, and Jamie does a "crash and burn" as she whizzes through an electrified Paganini Sonata in A minor! :D

A friend of mine once did something similar on keyboards, not realizing that the guy who was giving him no slack (another friend), had played as a guest with the CSO (Chicago Symphony Orchestra) as a kid. Mindaugas jumped on them keys and blew my other buddy away. Humble Pie was the dish of the day!

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Ouch! That must of been one heck of a Humble pie to swallow. Goes to show. Know whom your messing with or eat crow.

SuperSwede
April 10th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Hi and welcome Ruki... soon your wife will be crying instead because these guys will lure you into getting severe G.A.S

guitar ruki
April 12th, 2006, 10:11 AM
LOL...

Thanks for all your responses; I got a big kick out of all of them.

I was just kidding about my wife. She is actually quite supportive and sweet. In fact, seeing me enjoy playing has got her talking about getting a keyboard for herself. She used to play piano years back.

The last time she laughed at me rolling on the floor was when I walked by just after showering. I tucked my underwear to resemble a "G" string, like the kind she often wears.

Then she threw up!

r_a_smith3530
April 12th, 2006, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=guitar ruki]She used to play piano years back.[QUOTE]

See, what did I tell you guys??!! :D

M29
April 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Uh ohhh bad monkeys, donuts, pancakes, G strings..... Here we go.........

M29