PDA

View Full Version : Ovation Legend 1117

evenkeel
March 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I spotted one of these in a pawn shop today. 6 digit serial # starting with 12, which my research says is a 1977/78. Overall good condition other than some crazing in the finish.

$250 with the original case. I've never been a big Ovation fan but that seems like a pretty good price so I'm thinking I might give her a go.

Any thoughts/feedback????

player
March 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Had a Balladeer several years older(60's). at the prices they are going for today Ovation or no I would grab it even if you don't like them(thinking you might) they likely would be worth more than 250,most are today.don't have link to the site to compare but think you could check it out and be pleasently surprised.anything on the finish does not affect the sound but can give it its own character.with case outstanding .have seen cases that cost that much.
found this link.acous -elec.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ovation-1777-LX-Legend-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513632

wingsdad
March 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Ahoy, 'keel ;)

I'm sure you found this, in the archived/disco'd models at the Ovation site:

Legend 1117 (http://www.ovationguitars.com/index.cfm?fa=detail&mid=974)

So, it's not a plug n' play model, but $250 for a USA-made, solid AAA Sitka Spruce topped low-maintenance guitar like that is a bargain. The molded case alone could be considered worth $50 of that, at least.

The top's finish crazing comes as no surprise, since Ovations tend to get relegated to 'beater duty', abused or neglected because of their durability.

That's why I have an Ovation in my harem, but as it turned out, it's aged into a pretty fine guitar. I consider it equivalent to a laminated woods back & sides guitar with a solid top.

player
March 31st, 2008, 10:28 AM
MF must have re-invented the plug n play model but for nice hefty price too.according to the link put up in an earlier post however as wingsdad points out even it if is not it is still worth it.

Jampy
March 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM
I would say run and buy it for that money it is worth any risk. Heck clean it, re string it and play it for a month or two if you don't like it I am sure you can get your money back if not more.

do you need one of these :poke: to get you moving ?

Keep us posted

Skip77
March 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM
I know it's late to chime in on this one but I agree with Jampy. I bought a 1711 Balladeer in mint condition for $500 - deep bowl. Best sounding/playing guitar anyone could imagine. Fantastic workmanship and overall quality. Who in their right mind would talk any American-made Ovation down - that would be insane! These are classic guitars with the deepest, fattest sounds around - hope you got it!

evenkeel
April 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone. Good input.

I stopped in the shop today for a more compete inspection. Noticed two things I missed earlier.
1. A small ding on the back side of the neck, right where the headstock meets the neck. A small bit of the finish is missing. Will be tough to repair and have it be seamless. Smooth, no problem, but the fix will be visible.
2. A bigger concern is what looks to be a crack in the top. Runs from just below the bridge to the tail piece. When I first looked at it I thought it was just some crazing in the finish (there are other areas where the finish has crazed). My second and closer look, makes me think it's a crack in the wood. When I ran my hand across the "crack" I could feel a very slight height difference. Then sighting across the lower bout you can see a bit of a change in surface.

Wingsdads comments re: "beater duty" seem spot on. The guitar certainly has had some knocks so I'm thinking there could be other internal issues.

So, for now I'm in the thinking about it mode. Maybe go back and offer $200 and see what happens. She sounds very good, that classic Ovation sound, even with some very old nasty looking strings.

Jampy
April 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
My old ovation has had a cracked top for as long as I can remember, in the 70's the "plastic' backs did not flex like the wood tops did often resulting in some sort of damage.

if I am correct.

I would still go for it, would make a nice addition to any collection.

wingsdad
April 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Wingsdads comments re: "beater duty" seem spot on. The guitar certainly has had some knocks so I'm thinking there could be other internal issues.

I meant nothing 'disparaging' by that comment, by the way. I really love how my super-shallow bowl solid-top has opened up in 8 years, and I'd put it to an A/B test with any solid spruce topped, thinner body/lam b/s guitar. It's just that they're so durable compared to more climate-sensitive wood guitars, they tend to get used for 'risky' situations.

If you go back, tap on the top a bit, all around, with the tip of your index finger. You'll hear it right away if a brace has come loose. That top crack might not be the worst thing, if it looked like crazing. Cracks in that area, if not huge, can be cleated successfully from inside by any decent luthier or bravehearted owner. I've got a Guild that had a whopper. It's held up fine for 8 years, but with a lot of TLC, at that, though.