PDA

View Full Version : Vox DA5 AC/DC amp experience

Duff
March 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Anyone with experience using one of thes Vox DA5's? I just bought one and am planning to use it both inside and outside. I'm figuring the battery powered five watts will be interesting and open up some possibilities I haven't thought of before; such as in avenues to sell some of my older guitars by playing them places where potential buyers might be while having some fun at the same time.

I checked it out and it is a really, really nice small amp. Way nicer than I thought it would be and way louder.

I'm thinking I'll find all kinds of uses for it; such as camping and other away from home uses. Even checking out guitars at garage sales or things like that. Playing for my girlfriend at a remote location, etc.

Any practical experiences with this that you might want to share are definitely appreciated. Do you think it is as neat of a thing as I think it is?

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Spudman
March 28th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I've heard some recordings with that amp miced and you'd never believe it was that tiny little amp. It sounded huge in the mix. I've played them and thought they are really good too.

You might want to look into rechargeable batteries or you'll be spending a ton of cash and putting a lot of unnecessary waste into the environment because they'll eat batteries.

Congrats. You are going to enjoy that one for sure.

Gil Janus
March 29th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I have one. It's a really nice little unit. I use it mostly on batteries. I can take it, a guitar and a cable and play in any room in the house, or just go and sit in the garden or on the deck - and not need anything else. :master:

And if you want, you can even plug headphones in and be even quieter.

I usually run it at .5w in my bedroom - when the house is empty, I'll switch it to 5w - I'm surprised at how loud that little guy can get. :dude:

I mostly use the clean, blues and crunch settings - I'm not much into the high gain end of things. I mostly leave the effects off, but I have used the compressor and the chorus and reverb ones.

It is a great buy. I give a big :AOK:

Gil :cool:

Duff
March 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Amoungst other things, I'm planning on using this item to play guitars that I want to sell. I'm figuring I can play on batteries at outside locations where I might be able to find potential buyers. I have a few guitars I want to sell and think this might be a fun way to go about it.

Plus there are a lot of other uses I can find for this neat unit. Like camping and other outdoor activities, even inside activities.

I'm getting it for 119 slightly used, black. I could buy a brand new one at the same place in black or red for 139. I'm thinking red would be neat but hey, 20 dollars off.

Do you think this is a good deal or should I just go for the new item and the one year warranty from Vox?

The used item tested out excellently and even sounded better than the new one. Maybe speaker break in is not a myth. Everything seemed to work.

What do you think about saving 20 or should I go for the new item? I usually buy new stuff but this used item is nice. No guarantee from the store.

Duffy

Rabies
March 29th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Amoungst other things, I'm planning on using this item to play guitars that I want to sell. I'm figuring I can play on batteries at outside locations where I might be able to find potential buyers. I have a few guitars I want to sell and think this might be a fun way to go about it.

Plus there are a lot of other uses I can find for this neat unit. Like camping and other outdoor activities, even inside activities.

I'm getting it for 119 slightly used, black. I could buy a brand new one at the same place in black or red for 139. I'm thinking red would be neat but hey, 20 dollars off.

Do you think this is a good deal or should I just go for the new item and the one year warranty from Vox?

The used item tested out excellently and even sounded better than the new one. Maybe speaker break in is not a myth. Everything seemed to work.

What do you think about saving 20 or should I go for the new item? I usually buy new stuff but this used item is nice. No guarantee from the store.

Duffy

If it were me, I would probably just get the used one...if it seems to be ok. Plus you can more than likely get them to go a little bit lower still. :AOK:

Gil Janus
March 29th, 2008, 08:58 AM
The used one should be fine. They seem guite well made. Just make sure you get the little power brick and the strap - even thou any guitar strap will work on it :bravo:

I've had mine for a year and I've had no issues with it at all. If you run it at .5w, the batteries seem to last forever :AOK:

Gil :cool:

Guitar Gal
March 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I have the DA5 myself and love the portability of it. I use it mainly with the batteries and take it anywhere.

It's been too cold here lately to take it outside, but once the weather is nicer, I'll be annoying the neighbors in no time flat :D

:rockon:

GG

Justaguyin_nc
March 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I've had mine close to a year now.. Classic cloth look.
it's been out on the porch and up in the mountains...
I have had Cats knock it off the shelf in the house about 3 foot drop
and it has taken the abuse just fine.
I am usually by a power source but, the few times I have used the batteries
they have lasted for the time needed with power to spare.
Just throw it in the back of the truck and start hitting the road!
Nice little amp.. Congrats!

markb
March 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm another happy DA5 owner. It's a really good sounding and useful practice tool.

Duff
April 2nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
I got a new one in black instead of the used one for ten dollars more.

What an amp. Really nice overdrives and blues settings and I love the tap setting; slow tremolo or vibrato with reverb turned down gives it a vintage sound and kind of mysterious vibe.

It crunches super well and has a special drive setting plus and adjustable drive that interacts with the volume.

What a neat little amp you can have a blast with inside and take on road trips.

Duffy

Flow, flow, flow Big Muddy; slow, slow, slow. You flood thoses funky Delta river towns so the blues can grow.

piebaldpython
April 9th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Hey Duff,
Glad to hear you love the DA5. Looking at the specs for the DA15, other than it only uses a power supply and not batteries, would you think it would sound just as good as a DA5? I know the DA15 is 2-3 times the size of the DA5 but one or two places offer the DA15 for $129. Go figure. Anyway, the thought here is that the DA5 or DA15 would make a nice compliment to the Fender SCXD that I am planning on getting.
Once we get back from Germany, I'm definitely getting an amp or two and I'm gonna learn how to play guitar and lap slide too!!

sunvalleylaw
April 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I also saw a DA10 at the local shop the other day. Can run on batteries, and has two of the speakers that are in the DA5. I did not have time to mess around with the two, and the AD30 that was parked one amph down from it to see which sound I liked, but it might be another really nice option.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483001

Tone2TheBone
April 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't mind having a DA-5. Sounds like a good outdoor BBQ amp.