PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Zodiac Test

marnold
March 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I finally managed to try a Peavey Zodiac bass today. This one was the higher-end Scorpio version. Black, chrome pickguard, Duncan pickups. The look is just plain sexy, although the black and chrome's tendency to pick up fingerprints would annoy me. I liked the versatility of the P and J combo. It needed a setup: some bridge saddles were too low, pickups were too high, the intonation was off. There was some discoloration of the rosewood fretboard near the 20th fret on the E. It also looked like someone got a bit overzealous taking care of the fret sprout and took a little fretboard with it. My '51 has the same affliction. I love the neck, just like I figured I would. Satin finish on it--almost raw-wood feel. I'm eventually going to go for the butterscotch BXP version. Me likey. I tried it with a little 20W Peavey bass ampf that I surprisingly liked a lot.

Spudman
March 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Like this Zodiac (http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116383/Zodiac(TM)%20DE%20Scorpio.cfm)?

The Butterscotch (http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116429/Zodiac(TM)%20BXP.cfm) looks great.

SuperSwede
March 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Nice one Marnold! now we need pics! :)

marnold
March 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Yep, Spud, that's the one I played and the one I want, respectively.

SS, as soon as I get one, I'll post a picture. Right now we're trying to get some bills taken care of. Maybe later in the year something can happen. One thing is for sure, I enjoyed playing bass again.

It was kind of funny because the GC guy in the bass section didn't know what I was talking about when I asked him to get that one down from its hanger near the ceiling.

pie_man_25
April 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
sounds real nice marnold, do they have one with active electronics?

marnold
April 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
sounds real nice marnold, do they have one with active electronics?
There are other Peaveys that do, but all of the Zodiacs are passive. Of course, that can be changed if you are so inclined.