PDA

View Full Version : Valvetronix effects

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I've never really used the effects on my Tonelab or AD30VT. In fact, I don't use all that many of the amph models either.

It's not a knock on them. I'm just a beginner & all the effects & tweaking seemed to get in the way of learning. Besides my Godin radiator "makes it's own sauce" as it's pretty resonant.

For kicks I've started playing with a little reverb and tremolo. Very cool.

At some point, I'll really start exploring the capabilities of these things. It'll be like having a new toy.

The one thing I do wish is that the amph models on the left side of the dial were cleaner (but still rich) with the gain turned down.

SuperSwede
March 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM
The TL reverb section sounds really good to my ears, but what really stands out in my opinion is the delays. Especially the multi-head!
I posted a clip for Tim a while ago where I used (Radiator?) the multi head delay.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=754&page=2&highlight=multi+tap

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM
SS, are you saying that you used the Godin Radiator that you had for about 2 days on that clip?

Now I've got freakin' tweakitis. I started by fiddling with the Tonelab & then I tore apart my pedal chain to try different orderings & different settings & tweak & tweak...jeez & I wanted to practice today.

I'll betcha I'll start tube swapping on the Fender Champion 600.

It's a disease & we're all infected. The Gear Patrol should stage an intervention & take away some of my gear.

...no wonder Tone & Blooz et al have shotguns.

SuperSwede
March 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Yep. It was the radiator and I must have had that fine guitar for several MONTHS! ;)

Robert
March 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
I plan on doing a video for each of the effects on my Valvetronix, just for fun. Who knows when though... but the effects aren't too shabby on this amp.

Mr Grumpy
March 31st, 2008, 01:24 PM
I use a touch of reverb usually, or delay. never use tremelo or autowah, sometimes chorus/reverb or rotary.

Tim
March 31st, 2008, 01:53 PM
I plan on doing a video for each of the effects on my Valvetronix, just for fun. Who knows when though... but the effects aren't too shabby on this amp.

Great idea Robert. Maybe you can show one or two examples of each effect. I still do know how much to use. I know what I want it to sound like, I just can't seem to obtain it.

aeolian
March 31st, 2008, 05:15 PM
The one thing I do wish is that the amph models on the left side of the dial were cleaner (but still rich) with the gain turned down.

What do you mean? Are you finding that the amp models on the left side (Fenders and Voxs mostly) don't sound clean even when you turn the gain down?

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2008, 05:22 PM
What do you mean? Are you finding that the amp models on the left side (Fenders and Voxs mostly) don't sound clean even when you turn the gain down?
It's a Tonelab thing mainly. It's hard to get a high enough output with the gain low enough to stay clean.

It's the reason I picked up an Art tube pre when Spud kindly pointed out the MF Stupid Deal of the Day. Even with the tube pre & the gain on my mixer, I still have troubles. Although adjusting the Tube Trim did help a lot.

Rabies
March 31st, 2008, 07:26 PM
...The one thing I do wish is that the amph models on the left side of the dial were cleaner (but still rich) with the gain turned
down.

It is at this point that the Fender Super Champ XD comes into play. :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM
It is at this point that the Fender Super Champ XD comes into play. :AOK:
How is the line out on the SCXD? I'm using the Tonelab to practiice with headphones.

Ger the man
April 2nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Ive had a valvetronix for the last year or so and I have yet too see another amp that offers better value for money. Ok - the effects are not anything to write home about but they do the job if your jamming with friends or practising at home, my favourite is the flanger mixed with a bit of delay from my BOSS DD-6.