PDA

View Full Version : Current Favorite Valvetronix Amph Model

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I've been hanging out with the AD15 model for the past 2-3 weeks.

(On my Tonelab, I use the AD30 cab model rather than the AD15 cab model).

Previously it was the Tweed 4x10 & before that the Tweed 1x12 & before that the Black 2x12 & before that it was the Boutique Clean.

I didn't realize it before, but I guess I'm moving clockwise around the dial.

I'll call home when I get to Boutique OD :D .

I never save patches, I just pretend it's an amph. It's just that just which amph it is slowly changes with time ;).

markb
March 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I'll have to name the two I've saved in the memory slots on my AD50VT.

Tweed 4x10 set on edge of breakup for cleans. I like this for its warm round bottom and top but with enough midrange to make my tele's back pickup honk a little. It doesn't need a compressor for country picking, just hit the strings a bit harder for natural squish.

AC15 with gain and treble pushed a bit for drives that clean up nicely from the guitar and bloom sweetly.

warren0728
March 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
i haven't really used my vox much lately (especially since i got the rp250)

when i do i am usually on the left side of the amp models....

i'm actually thinking of selling it....

ww

just strum
March 29th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I also stay primarily on the left side. I have my RP hooked up to the the amp and I've been getting some nice sound out of it.

Since I practice/play in a small room (10x11) I have no use for a tube amp, so I will keep using the Vox. I did a lot of playing around with the effects and combined them with some of the left side amps. I initially had my foot switch set up so I could play the preset amps with preselected effect or bypass. I have since changed it to presets or manual.

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2008, 06:54 PM
i haven't really used my vox much lately (especially since i got the rp250)

when i do i am usually on the left side of the amp models....

i'm actually thinking of selling it....

ww
I use my Tonelab with headphones (like you use the rp250) waaay more than I use the AD30VT. I use the Fender Champion 600 more than the AD30VT too, but I'm not still gonna sell the AD30VT ;).

warren0728
March 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I use my Tonelab with headphones (like you use the rp250) waaay more than I use the AD30VT. I use the Fender Champion 600 more than the AD30VT too, but I'm not still gonna sell the AD30VT ;).
i've got the vox but also have a valve jr and a classic 20 along with the rp250....seems like overkill....plus i was thinking about one of those fender champion 600's....so maybe i sell the valve jr.....it's an unmodded "version 1" so it has that hum....i don't know....i have a hard time selling equipment :D

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I should'a known that this would'a happened. As soon as I mention my current favorite model all the other models get jealous & I am down in the basement tweaking the titties out of the tonelab.

I'll be back in a coupl'a days ;).

....i have a hard time selling equipment :D

ww Yeah, I've never sold a piece of gear, but that's because I use everything that I have.

I also don't have the chops yet to really check the gear out. I've had the happy experience of getting a little bit better & discovering that my gear sounds better than I thought. So in the meantime, I plan on getting to know the stuff that I have.

& NO, I *did not* say I wasn't gonna buy new gear until I am a much better player.

SHEEZE! That'd be wacko.

Radioboy950
March 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Love the UK 80's for all the rock stuff. Sounds good with either single coils or HBs.
For cleans, I dig the Tweed (but anything on that side of the dial will do)

marnold
March 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM
UK70s and Blackface for me.

scgmhawk
March 30th, 2008, 04:47 PM
UK80's and Tweed and Boutique OD

SuperSwede
March 31st, 2008, 12:12 AM
Tot, have you been able to make anything useful out of the recto model? I never could get that one to sound good.

My absolute fav on the tonelab must be the 1x12 Tweed.

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2008, 07:23 AM
Tot, have you been able to make anything useful out of the recto model? I never could get that one to sound good.

My absolute fav on the tonelab must be the 1x12 Tweed.

SS, I haven't really tried. Like I said, I haven't explored it to any depth. If I get a sound that I'm happy with, I stick with it (with minor tweaks) for a long time & focus on practicing.

Yes, I've spent the most time with the 1 x 12 Tweed. I think it must be the emulated 6V6s.

Ro3b
March 31st, 2008, 09:26 AM
90% if the time I'm using Black 2x12, with or without my OCD in front of it. I like UK Modern for the very occasional high-gain stuff.

Robert
March 31st, 2008, 09:28 AM
I use a different model depending on my needs. The ones I use the most are Tweed 410, AC30, UK70, Boutique OD.

Mr Grumpy
March 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Current Fave is the AC15, set for a bit of crunch at full guitar volume so I can clean up when I turn it down a bit. OD pedal to add the noise.

Other likes, in no particular order, BTQ clean, Tweed 4 x 10, UK80s. BTQ OD is good but Ive not really explored its possibilities as yet

tot_Ou_tard
September 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Currently on my Tonelab: Boutique Clean through the VOX AC30 cab, very nice.

As far as I can tell, the goop has not been modeled.

Gotta get me a Dumble some day & put vintage Celestion Blues in it.
:rotflmao: :D:rotflmao:

Previously Tweed 1x12 & Black 2x12 through their eponymous cabs.

R_of_G
September 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Tweed with the Tremolo effect sounds nice for me, much like Ribot on Waits' "Dead and Lovely" or some of the Cubanos Postizos stuff like "Aurora En Pekin"

duhvoodooman
September 6th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I always seem to come back to the Tweed 4x10 on my AD30VT. Guess that means I need to start looking around for a '59 Bassman, huh? :eek: ;)

tunghaichuan
September 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I always seem to come back to the Tweed 4x10 on my AD30VT. Guess that means I need to start looking around for a '59 Bassman, huh? :eek: ;)

Or build one ;)

tung

TS808
September 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Lately with my strats I've been using the AC-30 and UK 70's settings. It seems the more I play, the more I'm getting away from the high gain amp models.

Even with my Flextone, the 4 patches I have locked in are the Twin Reverb, AC-30, JTM-45, and the Silver Jubilee (High Gain).

marnold
September 6th, 2008, 02:37 PM
The Tweed is great for SRV stuff, but my bread-and-butter clean is the Blackface one. I've been messing with the US Higain but I'm having some issues removing the high-end harshness.

tot_Ou_tard
September 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Or build one ;)

tung
Yeah, stop putzing around with pedals & build an amph!

...I'd probably buy one of those ;).

Mr Grumpy
September 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Been having a blast today and have locked in the following settings on CH1 as my go-to channel. It sounds tremendous with both my Guitars, the GS especially, and with the Vox BigBen overdrive its niiiiiice.
AC15 model, gain 10 oclock, volume maxed, treble 1 o clock, mid 12 o clock, bass 1 o clock, touch of reverb, volume to suit:AOK: :dude:

just strum
September 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Been having a blast today and have locked in the following settings on CH1 as my go-to channel. It sounds tremendous with both my Guitars, the GS especially, and with the Vox BigBen overdrive its niiiiiice.
AC15 model, gain 10 oclock, volume maxed, treble 1 o clock, mid 12 o clock, bass 1 o clock, touch of reverb, volume to suit:AOK: :dude:

Mr G,

I just dialed it in, not bad. I'm being nice to the kids this morning and not playing the Valve Jr for another 1/2 hour.

Jimi75
September 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Hey, I am happy I can give an answer to this question now that I play this amph once a week :-)

My favourites are the Deluxe 2x12 and the UK70.
I treat the Deluxe just like I treat a real Fender Blackface amp so the setting is:

Gain 6
Treble 6
Bass 2
Mid 3
(Reverb 2)

That is the magical Fender 6 6 6! Gain 6, (Bass & Mid 2x3 =6), Treble 6

Sounds awesomely good in a band surrounding. I dig this amp more and more.

tot_Ou_tard
September 8th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Hey, I am happy I can give an answer to this question now that I play this amph once a week :-)

My favourites are the Deluxe 2x12 and the UK70.
I treat the Deluxe just like I treat a real Fender Blackface amp so the setting is:

Gain 6
Treble 6
Bass 2
Mid 3
(Reverb 2)

That is the magical Fender 6 6 6! Gain 6, (Bass & Mid 2x3 =6), Treble 6

Sounds awesomely good in a band surrounding. I dig this amp more and more.
Since the chicken-head knobs don't have numbers & go from from about 7 o'clock to about 5 o'clock, would that be:

Gain 1:00
Treble 1:00
Bass 9:00
Mid 10:00

or the magical 1 1 90?

Jimi75
September 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Since the chicken-head knobs don't have numbers & go from from about 7 o'clock to about 5 o'clock, would that be:

Gain 1:00
Treble 1:00
Bass 9:00
Mid 10:00

or the magical 1 1 90?

Cörrect ;)

tot_Ou_tard
January 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I am very very happy with the tone & feel of the P90 on my Godin 5th Avenue into the Black 2x12 model with headphones.

I didn't know what to expect. It sounds sweet.

markb
January 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
While my TM60 was in the repair shop I was using my DA5 on Clean2 (=Black 2x12 in the ADs) with all three knobs at 2 o'clock. For drives I turned it to Crunch 2 (=UK 80s) and didn't touch the other controls. I always turn the noise reduction as far down as possible, the amp just opens up and breathes a lot better.

Ro3b
January 19th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I am very very happy with the tone & feel of the P90 on my Godin 5th Avenue into the Black 2x12 model with headphones.

I didn't know what to expect. It sounds sweet.

Yeah, that was my favorite model for my P90 Xaviere too. Man, I've REALLY got to get another P90 axe sometime soon.

I've been playing my tele into the AC30 setting:

Gain 10:00
Vol dimed
Tre 2:00
Mid Dimed
Bass 10:00

Nice teetering-on-the-edge-of breakup sound, though as often as not I'll use the OCD to push it over -- drive knob at about 1:00, volume at 9:00 or so.

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Yeah, that was my favorite model for my P90 Xaviere too. Man, I've REALLY got to get another P90 axe sometime soon.

It must be that the Blackface scooped tone plays well with the somewhat middy character of P90s.