PDA

View Full Version : No On and Off Switch

just strum
March 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know why things like the RP350 (I assume the RP250), Jamman, and probably the ME50 don't have on and off switches? You have to unplug it when not in use.

Is there a reason that they are designed without the switch?

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
To drive you nuts.

...did it work?

just strum
March 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
To drive you nuts.

...did it work?

YES!!!

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I have an Art tube pre that I use between the Tonelab & the mixer that has no on/off switch.

It's on even if I'm not playing the Tonelab. I have everything hooked up to surge protectors which I turn off when I'm not playing. I'm not about to plug & unplug that sucker all the live-long day.

It'd drive me nuts.

Spudman
March 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I've got a bit of gear that is that way. It is a bit of a mystery why the manufacturers can't put in an in line switch. I've never heard why they do this. Instead I came up with my own custom solution...a powered outlet strip. $3-$4 and I quit cursing the stupid designers of that equipment and now focus on playing more.:rockon:

just strum
March 29th, 2008, 08:28 PM
That's the route I'm going too. I have some of the electrical in one outlet and the rest in another. One has a power strip with an on and off, but it also has my computer and lights plugged in.

Still, it seems odd that they don't have an on and off switch. Eventually someone will post the answer.

wingsdad
March 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Where's duhvoodooman? Bet he knows....

Usually, devices without an on/off switch, like stomp boxes, run on battery (DC) by design, and can use an AC adapter as alternative fuel more for convenience.

Relatives of these devices are acoustic/electric guitar preamps, and active pre electric guitars. They don't have an on/off switch, either.

They all turn on/off when you plug into their input jacks. That's the on-off switch, by putting a load on the circuit, or taking it away. Leave it plugged in overnite, and say adios to your battery.

I have a couple of others, though, that don't use batteries, but plugging in/unplugging the AC Power Supply is all she wrote.

The only other logical explananation is that there's no room for a switch in the thing.

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
My Art tube pre is on if it's plugged in off if it isn't. It can't run on batteries.

I always though that using the jack as the on/off switch is ridiculous. It forces me to either use a power supply or futz around with my pedal chain if I want to use it.

SuperSwede
March 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I always though that using the jack as the on/off switch is ridiculous. It forces me to either use a power supply or futz around with my pedal chain if I want to use it.

+1

I dont understand this either. Luckily I have a power supply that switches on/off all my gear at once.