PDA

View Full Version : Found an open mic

Spudman
March 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I was in my local music store last week and saw a flyer for an open mic on Sunday afternoons. It's at a bar (sigh) but it might still be alright. I'm off to check it out shortly and will report later tonight how it is.

In spite of all the down sides of jamming in a bar the upside is that they might let the musicians have free drinks. :) The down side is having really large drunk ladies throwing their bloomers on stage. That's reserved for t_ross.:D

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Rock-on Spudwalker!

Tim
March 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Good luck with the playing, the drinks and whatever else happens. How does Mrs. Spuds take to the flying bloomers?

luvmyshiner
March 30th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Go for it Spud! Worse case scenario, use the bloomers for drapes, or a comforter for the bed, or somthin'.:beer:

just strum
March 30th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Go for it Spud! Worse case scenario, use the bloomers for drapes, or a comforter for the bed, or somthin'.:beer:

Or when the weather gets warmer, tie it between two trees and you have a hammock.

Now, for us non open mic folks, what's the downside of having open mic at a bar? Is it that the music isn't always the main focus?

Robert
March 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Go and have some fun there and tell us all about it. It's a good way to practice new licks and tricks in a live environment.

warren0728
March 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM
looking forward to your report!! have fun.... :beer:

ww

t_ross33
March 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
The down side is having really large drunk ladies throwing their bloomers on stage. That's reserved for t_ross.:D

comes with the badge, m' man :cool:

Spudman
March 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Well.........I got a gig out of it.

Turns out their lead player just died or something. :confused: I don't really know for sure but they were in need of a lead player and I was offered the spot. Might be good for a little extra cash for a while. We'll see how long I can handle playing the "same old stuff." At least I can get my chops back up and they only play locally for the most part and play one night per weekend...maybe. They also get to play the resort town 3 miles away where the Spud family likes to soak in the hot springs. So that might be fun once in a while.

They seem like nice enough guys...and the good part is the drummer works in a music store. :thwap: Just what I need - more temptation. Did I say good part? Ayieee!

For the first hour it was just 3 of us, guitar, bass and drums. I played a couple of easy songs they could follow and a few originals that weren't to hard. A drummer I had played with before sat in too. He's really good and it was fun dialing in again.

It was a lot of fun just letting the guitar breathe. I used the Classic 30 and the OLP Luke. Since they hadn't heard me before I was free to play anyway I wanted and no expectations. It was fun but my finger tips are really sore. I guess it's been a while since I stood up and played for 4 hours solid.

Oh, we used the bloomers for the back drop. One pair almost did the whole wall....seriously.:D

warren0728
March 30th, 2008, 08:33 PM
cool spud....sounds like a successful evening.... :bravo: :beer:

ww

Spudman
March 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Now, for us non open mic folks, what's the downside of having open mic at a bar? Is it that the music isn't always the main focus?

The smoke for me is the downside. I get that yucky nicotine buzz too and smell like an old forest fire.

The plus side is that they have ice and free electricity so it's an OK rehearsal hall. Oh and free hammock material from time to time.:D

Robert
March 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Cool Spud, you're right back in the saddle again!

Spudman
March 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Cool Spud, you're right back in the saddle again!

Absolutely. It's almost too easy sometimes. I guess I'm a bit like you and would love to find musicians that can challenge me and take me to different musical realms. It probably isn't going to happen where I live but I keep hoping since it's a college town. Maybe some day, eh?:munch:

Anyway, I love to play so much I guess I just have to keep doing it. Damned music addiction.:rolleyes:

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Have fun Spud!!

What's the name of the band?

just strum
March 31st, 2008, 08:02 AM
The smoke for me is the downside. I get that yucky nicotine buzz too and smell like an old forest fire.

The plus side is that they have ice and free electricity so it's an OK rehearsal hall. Oh and free hammock material from time to time.:D

I never thought about the smoking. Ohio is a smoke free State when it comes to public buildings of any kind. You have to stand outside something like 15 or 20 feet from an entrance door. I've become so accustom to it and I thought all States had adopted those laws.

Sounds like you had a good time and hopefully this pans out to be something that's going to be enjoyable for some time to come. What is the musical taste of the other guys?

Justaguyin_nc
March 31st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Turns out their lead player just died or something. :confused:

WOW...that's cold...:rotflmao:

Better make sure he Died of something other than bandmates before you venture further or except rides..

Good luck with it.. will be looking for VIDS!

and enjoy the Nicotine contact high... it's legal and a great buzz..

:poke:

SuperSwede
March 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Record something for us next time you gig Spuds!

Tim
March 31st, 2008, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you had a good time Spuds. I use to smoke. I started in the 4th grade. I stopped over 30 years ago when my daughter (while in 1st grade) ask me to stop. So I did. Now I can't stand the smell of any kind of cigarette smell. It turns my stomach. Florida is a smoke free state. Pennsylvania is trying to pass the same law. The bars and lobbyist are trying to stop it from passing throughout the state.

Spudman
March 31st, 2008, 02:52 PM
and enjoy the Nicotine contact high... it's legal and a great buzz..

:poke:

It sucked actually. I couldn't get to sleep very easily last night. Not a great buzz in my opinion...but I do know what is.;)

Justaguyin_nc
March 31st, 2008, 04:20 PM
I hear ya Spuds.. ya know I am still an addict..
But I do feel for those that can't stand the smell..
Cause I justa Can't Quit!!

Make sure the Vids and Audio arrive shortly for us all..:)

sunvalleylaw
March 31st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well.........I got a gig out of it.

For the first hour it was just 3 of us, guitar, bass and drums. I played a couple of easy songs they could follow and a few originals that weren't to hard. A drummer I had played with before sat in too. He's really good and it was fun dialing in again.

It was a lot of fun just letting the guitar breathe. I used the Classic 30 and the OLP Luke. Since they hadn't heard me before I was free to play anyway I wanted and no expectations. It was fun but my finger tips are really sore. I guess it's been a while since I stood up and played for 4 hours solid.

Oh, we used the bloomers for the back drop. One pair almost did the whole wall....seriously.:D

Sounds great sir Spudley! Sorry for their loss, but I am glad you can get back in the saddle for a while. So that one pair of bloomers was from a potato farmer from Rexburg, right? ;)

Spudman
April 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM
One week later................

I think everyone forgot how to play in one week. There were more train wrecks and bad playing than I care to elaborate on. I also discovered that if someone looks stoned or drunk then they probably are and should not be allowed on stage. Sheesh

It's important to note here boys and girls that if players can't find the groove or the 1 then you should take it upon yourself to conduct the song and make sure that it stays as tight and organized as possible. A little guitar neck movement, a hand wave, head gestures etc all go a long way towards getting everyone on the same page.

Robert
April 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Sounds like day care, Spud.

Spudman
April 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Sounds like day care, Spud.

Daycare is about right.

Now I know what you were talking about earlier.

Spudman
April 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM
After hacking our way through a bunch of songs on two separate open mics the guys now want to take a gig and it is scheduled for this weekend both nights. Talk about cramming for finals.:thwap:

No pictures this time guys. I need to just focus on material but I will take some pictures at subsequent gigs. I really don't want you all to see me standing in a pool of sweat.

Robert
April 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I bet those photos would reveal all the mistakes too! :D :D :D

(like, "that's the wrong Hendrix chord...", and "look, the fingering of that chord is wrong for Sweet Home Alabama... ", etc) :deadhorse:

tot_Ou_tard
April 15th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Has the 1 been found or are you still directing traffic with furtive head gestures & guitar movements?