PDA

View Full Version : Can I ask you guys a favor?

mark wein
March 31st, 2008, 02:58 PM
This probably isn't the right forum for this but it is where I post the most.

I just put together a new site to advertise my new book (well, the same new book I've had for a while, its just finally finished) and I asked Robert to take a look at it and he gave me some really good feedback but he mentioned that I might see if you guys could give me some input as "end users"...any kind of criticism is welcome...I do know in advance that my video sucks but is there anything that you guys as consumers would rather see or like to know from a site that is basically just an advertisement for a book? Or if anything is not neccesary?

It is at http://www.foundationsforguitar.com (http://www.foundationsforguitar.com/)

Thanks!

Mark

just strum
March 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM
I went there last night and so far the only thing I feel needs to be changed is moving the video so it's below the book cover. Above the book I would have a little bit of text explaining what your goal was when you wrote the book. At the end of that text, I would note something that directs people to the other pages of the site.

Spudman
March 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Book needs to be on top of the video and a bit smaller.
With the color scheme it is hard to make out what is what. The book doesn't stand out. Can you change colors?
Guitar pictures in the layout would be cool.
Plenty of fleshy female curves would certainly attract attention.:D

Justaguyin_nc
March 31st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Was that the cover of the book?
I thought it was just a background...
also, a price or about this much when released on the main page..
I avoid buttons to buy things if I don't know what they cost.
(Im just being honest)

BTW, wish I lived in California..your class pricing at preimer school of music seems affordable.. I liked that page..

mark wein
March 31st, 2008, 04:24 PM
Good stuff , guys!

Keep it coming...I really appreciate it! :AOK:

street music
March 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM
They spotted the same things that I did and I'll add a couple of comments.
You need the price very visible like your lessons are. How about some reviews or comments on your lessons or training sessions from other artist or students.
Marketing is about making the first impression a big one, like Spud said, a great sexy body reading your book while holding a guitar . Maybe NOT! But you get the idea, highlight the best features of the book and segments that a beginner will find readily useful to them but simple enough to play a song quickly.:AOK:

just strum
March 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM
I want to emphasize something that was already said - you need to frame the book or get an actual nice photo of the book. Maybe get Peter Townsend to take a photo reading the book:D

Marketing 101 - put a little more bold red text on pg 1. Let one thing direct the customer to the next thing you want them to read.

Spud, you keeping track of all of this to see how much beer this will total???

Spudman
March 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM

Sure am. We'll be going for the good stuff this time.:beer:

mark wein
March 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM

:D

What do you guys drink?

:beer:

scgmhawk
March 31st, 2008, 07:17 PM
I'll respond for beer!:beer:

I agree with much of the above. The light blue is a difficult color to focus. If you can change colors, I would go darker. I also agree with some bold or red, because it's not readily obvious that you are selling a book (IMHO). I don't think you need to put the price but you want to generate some written interest to entice the consumer -- in addition to the video. I have a website for my business and from what I've been told, you have about 5-10 seconds to keep someone on your site. You need to hook them quickly. Keep that in mind.

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM
I agree with what everyone here siad.

Book above the video with the cover more defined. The red title looks like it's floating over a washed out background. Make the guitar on the cover have more contrast with the white background.

For me, I'd like to be able to peek inside the book. But it is well known that I'm not from this planet.

Beer?

Where to start?

Delerium Tremens
Brooklyn Chocolate Stout
Mendocino Red Tail Ale
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
Weinhenstephaner

etc, etc... The last one might be of interest as it begins with your name.

Justaguyin_nc
March 31st, 2008, 08:48 PM
For me, I'd like to be able to peek inside the book.

I think if he just adds a link to the book cover image which would take you to the sample pages would be fine?

sunvalleylaw
March 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I agree with what everyone here siad.

Book above the video with the cover more defined. The red title looks like it's floating over a washed out background. Make the guitar on the cover have more contrast with the white background.

For me, I'd like to be able to peek inside the book. But it is well known that I'm not from this planet.

Beer?

Where to start?

Delerium Tremens
Brooklyn Chocolate Stout
Mendocino Red Tail Ale
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
Weinhenstephaner

etc, etc... The last one might be of interest as it begins with your name.

I think the color of the cover is fine, with enough contrast (maybe could go more, but that might get busy with the red title), but it just needs a border to define it. Then it will pop nicely I think. Swap book up top over vid for sure. A peek inside would be nice , but a look at the table of contents and an example page or two might do and be less work. (EDIT: I looked again, and you have a couple pages. I think that is fine.) And definitely get the price out there and the buy now button easy to find.

as for beers, those ones tOt suggests look good, (I think i have had the Dogfish), but I would be happy with a Stone - Ruination IPA and Stone - Arrogant Bastard Ale, that i think come from your neighborhood. :AOK: Or a discount on the book as I will likely buy it anyhow!

tot_Ou_tard
April 1st, 2008, 05:49 AM
as for beers, those ones tOt suggests look good, (I think i have had the Dogfish), but I would be happy with a Stone - Ruination IPA and Stone - Arrogant Bastard Ale, that i think come from your neighborhood. :AOK:
Good choices Sun!

If you know how to do it, I'd also suggest putting a quick intro image in the video to make it look more professional. The frozen image of a face under the play button is a typical amateur youtube look.

mark wein
April 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I finally have time to get back to work on this and I'm printing out your suggestions as I type...wish me luck!

Thanks

Mark