PDA

View Full Version : Good second-hand guitar shops in Paris, France?

red
April 1st, 2008, 02:24 AM
Hello.

I'll be visiting Paris in about a month, and I'm interested in bargains for Martin and Gibson guitars. If we have any forum colleagues from Paris, or living in Paris, I would appreciate any hints as to where I could find nice shops with used instruments.

Thanks!

tot_Ou_tard
April 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM
Can one really get bargins in Europe for American products (even used)?!? I'd think that the value of the dollar vis a vis the euro (not to mention every other d@mn currency) would preclude that.

Enjoy Paris in any case.

SuperSwede
April 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM
Can one really get bargins in Europe for American products (even used)?!? I'd think that the value of the dollar vis a vis the euro (not to mention every other d@mn currency) would preclude that.

Enjoy Paris in any case.

Hardly.. most US made instruments cost a lot more here..

If we look at the price of a FENDER Classic Series ´50´s Stratocaster in sweden (musikborsen.se) = 1058 USD

Same guitar at Zzounds.com = 700 USD..

red
April 1st, 2008, 06:35 AM

Enjoy Paris in any case.
Ah, there's a misunderstanding. Compliment as that might be to my English, I'm a Romanian citizen living in Romania. Romania is a member of the European Union, and the lowest price I can get here for American products is whatever is the lowest price is on eBay.de or any online shop that ships to EU members (Thomann, Musik-Schmidt, Dolphin Music, etc.). Instruments sold locally are usually more expensive (though not always a lot more expensive) than the ones from the aforementioned online shops. Furthermore, no shop in Romania sells Gibson (although there's a Gibson dealer, but they only order after you pay part of the price, so you might as well buy it from some online shop in Germany for the same or a lower price) or Martin guitars. There are Fender, Ovation, Guild, PRS, Takamine, Schecter, Ibanez guitars available in shops, but no Gibsons or Martins.

So you see how Paris might look like there might be a bargain for me.

tot_Ou_tard
April 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Ah yes, I apologize red. I hope that someone can help you out.

Here's a discussion of that topic:

http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000857.html

red
April 1st, 2008, 06:58 AM
Ah yes, I apologize red. I hope that someone can help you out.

Here's a discussion of that topic:

http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000857.html
It's perfectly alright, there's no need to apologize :).

Thanks for your trouble, much appreciated! I did find that thread with Google a couple of days ago and printed it out, but there's no explicit mention of second hand products (except for the R.F.Charle shop, but that seems to specialize in pricey vintage guitars whereas I'm more interested in a good deal on an used current-production Martin 000-15 or something similar). That's why I thought I'd ask again here.

Jipes
April 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM
The street to go in Paris is Rue de Douai at Suburb station Pigalle, there's many shops for used guitars but as for Martin's acoustices no one can really beat up RF Charles unfortunately it's as you said very vintage and high priced but many of my friends got instruments there which are fantastic (old Duolians and Weissenborn guitars mainly).

At Pigalle you can check
Oldies guitar rue Victor Massé
Universal Guitars : Rue de Douai
Centrale Occasion de la Musique, 10 rue de Douai

Be careful those guys saw so many customers in a day that they can be pretty arrogant so just be Cool and ask the right question and insist a bit ! Never run on a guitar if you have no idea about the right price for it ;)

Jipes

red
April 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM
The street to go in Paris is Rue de Douai at Suburb station Pigalle [...] Be careful those guys saw so many customers in a day that they can be pretty arrogant so just be Cool and ask the right question and insist a bit ! Never run on a guitar if you have no idea about the right price for it ;)
Merci beaucoup :)!

red
April 5th, 2008, 07:23 AM
as for Martin's acoustices no one can really beat up RF Charles unfortunately it's as you said very vintage and high priced but many of my friends got instruments there which are fantastic (old Duolians and Weissenborn guitars mainly).
Just one quick question that I forgot to ask: would they be willing to negociate prices at R & F Charle's, or would that imply an open invitation for them to kick me out of the store :)?

Jipes
April 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Just one quick question that I forgot to ask: would they be willing to negociate prices at R & F Charle's, or would that imply an open invitation for them to kick me out of the store :)?

I think it's a matter of good contact if you discuss with him and got a good feeling then maybe butprice are usually setted I don't think they have a big space for negociation;

You can always say that you got the adress from the forum Slide et résonateurs he knows well several members

jipes

P.S I just missed a National Duolian from 1936 :thwap:

red
April 5th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I think it's a matter of good contact if you discuss with him and got a good feeling then maybe butprice are usually setted I don't think they have a big space for negociation;

You can always say that you got the adress from the forum Slide et résonateurs he knows well several members

jipes

P.S I just missed a National Duolian from 1936 :thwap:
Thanks for all this great info! I'll check that forum out actually, it sounds interesting.
I'm sorry to hear you've missed that guitar deal...