PDA

View Full Version : new (old) satriani CD

Lev
April 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM
I picked up the new Satriani CD yesterday and I'm afraid it's just one satriani CD too far for me. I've been a fan for 20 years but there comes a point when hearing the same stuff re-hashed for the nth time just becomes too much.

As expected his technique shines and the production is great but the melodies just aren't there and many of the licks and runs are identical to what he's done previously. But for me the whole record just cries out for some tonal variation, the heavy distortion with a touch of wah on nearly every song makes it difficult to determine where one song ends and another begins.

I'd love to hand him a strat and tele and a twin and send him to the studio to make a record. I really do love this guy and hate to criticize someone so talented but I really feel he needs to come up with a new take on what he does to keep it interesting. For example I recently heard some of Paul Gilbert's new stuff and that sounds really fresh and interesting despite being another instrumental guitar record.