PDA

View Full Version : Dorian Scale lesson - plus some other things

Robert
April 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM
See my latest video lesson - the Dorian Scale on my video lesson page.
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/guitar_video_lessons_18.php

Let me know what you think. I am trying to show how you can combine the Dorian, Blues and Pentatonic scale when soloing/improvising.

I am working tabs of all the scales.

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Robert,

I enjoyed the Dorian Scale lesson you provided. It provides yet another helpful example to help me in my solo improvising. My only question is right after you show the three scales you play on “A” chord. From what I can see, it is not a full chord. You just use your pointer finger. Can you provide what strings you play?

jpfeifer
April 10th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Robert,

Great lesson! I'm always impressed at how well put together your videos are. I like this approach to showing how the Dorian, Minor Pentatonic, and Blues Scale are all related. Very nicely done.

I was wondering how you are setup to host video clips on your site. Is it possible for us to upload video clips to this forum, or would I need to host them onto a separate site? I don't know how much space you would have on the forum for things like that and video files could be rather large. I would like to do some lesson videos like this sometime in the future. I have a DV camera and some video editing software. I'm using it for work to film tradeshow footage, etc.

Thanks for sharing your video lessons. Very nice.

-- Jim

marnold
April 10th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Great lesson! I'm always impressed at how well put together your videos are. I like this approach to showing how the Dorian, Minor Pentatonic, and Blues Scale are all related. Very nicely done.
I was just reading something about this the other day. Maybe it was in GuitarOne. I'm now beginning to understand why so many people opt for the Dorian mode. An awful lot of guitarists first learn the minor pentatonic scale, then add the b5 for the Blues scale. It's only natural then to make the progression to adding two more notes to get a Dorian/Blues combo. This stuff really interests me, although my ability to apply it isn't there yet.

Robert
April 10th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Tim, I played A minor 7 I believe. Open A string, the index finger barring the D, G, B and E string on the 5th fret. You can put the ring finger on the 7th fret on the D string to make it A minor.

Jim, you would have to put them on a different site. We can't provide that much space through theFret.net. You can put them on YouTube.com though.

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Hmm. Very intersting theory there Robert. That is what I was refering to as a short cord a few months back. Or a short cut for making chords. Do you have any more tricks like that up your sleeve?

Robert
April 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I've got many tricks up my sleeve! Which ones do you need?

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 10:48 AM
All of them LOL!!!!

Really. I see how sometimes you play with such ease. The "short chords" seems to make your playability a simple effortless process. I am having difficulty playing solo along with some rhythm. It only makes since that the little short cuts makes it easier to play both.

Justaguyin_nc
April 10th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Nice job Robert...thank you once again

r_a_smith3530
April 10th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Robert, fantastico!!! Like others have mentioned, tab to go along with it would be nice, as would some reference point, like calling out, "Example A," "Example B," etcetera as you go along. You could then do the tab to follow suit.

I think that someone had mentioned the use of a PDF file for the tablature, but couldn't you also use Powertab?

Anyway, great effort, thanks!

:R :R :R

warren0728
April 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
think that someone had mentioned the use of a PDF file for the tablature, but couldn't you also use Powertab?
since there is no mac version of powertab...can you export a powertab file as a txt file or a pdf?

ww

r_a_smith3530
April 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM
since there is no mac version of powertab...can you export a powertab file as a txt file or a pdf?

ww

Warren, I believe that Powertab files can be exported to TXT. Of course from there you can create a PDF.

warren0728
April 10th, 2006, 01:07 PM
that's good to know....i'd hate to have to buy a pc just to read roberts tab files!

ww

Robert
April 10th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I have recently started to use etkTab, a free tab program. http://etktab.sourceforge.net/

I would have to throw in a picture of the tab for a few seconds in the video, either before an example or after I play. Before is better, right? I can of course make a link to a tab as PDF or just the text file itself as well.

warren0728
April 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I have recently started to use etkTab, a free tab program. http://etktab.sourceforge.net/

I would have to throw in a picture of the tab for a few seconds in the video, either before an example or after I play. Before is better, right? I can of course make a link to a tab as PDF or just the text file itself as well.
that would be great....pdf would be best as a link

ww

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Warren - Hmm! Something an Apple can not do that a PC can. I fine this interesting!

SuperSwede
April 10th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Sorry Tim but it can be done ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

warren0728
April 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
there are also programs for the mac for tabbing...it's just that the creators of the powertab program have chosen not to support osx.

ww

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Ok Super Swede, I stand corrected. I should have known better on that one. One can not get anything on you Apple owners. Where there is a will, there is a way.

SuperSwede
April 11th, 2006, 07:08 AM
lol... I just HAD to comment on that. Being a apple user is almost like a religion ;)

r_a_smith3530
April 11th, 2006, 09:24 AM
lol... I just HAD to comment on that. Being a apple user is almost like a religion ;)

Yes, the same could be said for TI-64 users too! :D

I hear that there are still those who lament the passing the time-honored art of chiseling out letters on stone tablets as well!

At least it should be comforting that Apple has chosen to run their OS on top of *NIX, and that further development of the OS will be done on the Intel hardware platform. It would seem that if you Apple folks would just adopt Linux, you'd be all set!

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. As a computer user for a number of years, and a computer pro for at least the last twelve, I have to laugh whenever the subject of "my computer OS/application is better than your computer OS/application" comes up. I have seen many great and not-so-great hardware and software solutions come and go. Does anyone remember the KayPro? At about 30lbs, with a 2.5MHz Z80 microprocessor, and 64 KILObytes of RAM, it was the forerunner of the laptop. It was supposed to revolutionize the industry! I used to own one.

I miss Lotus 1-2-3 as a mainstream application.

BTW, before you Apple folks decide to have me drawn and quartered, I also used to own an Apple 2e, with dual floppy drives and a 9,600 baud modem!

Today I support MS Windows, not because it is any better, but rather because as long as there is a PC running a Windows operating system, there will be a need for people who can fix them! I consider it a form of job security. For fun, I play with Debian.

Tim
April 11th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Yes, the same could be said for TI-64 users too! :D

Hey R_A_. I had one of those TI-64s. It was a good game computer, which I still consider ahead of it time.

r_a_smith3530
April 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Robert, I would say that you only need mention the availability of the tab at the outset of the video, and then reference example numbers as you go along.

Hey, I'm glad to see that there is an Open Source tabbing product out there. I'll have to check it out!

warren0728
April 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Hey, I'm glad to see that there is an Open Source tabbing product out there. I'll have to check it out!
i agree...and it works on windows, unix and osx!

ww

r_a_smith3530
April 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Sorry Tim but it can be done ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

Wow, turning to Microsoft to fix a Mac issue! That seriously rocks!!!

:R :R :R

Thanks, SS.

Tim
April 11th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Drum beat please as we wait in anticipation for the reply from Super Swede in regards to R_A’s remark about “turning to Microsoft to fix a Mac issue!” This is serious stuff here.

But it is good that we all will be able to read Robert’s tablature on future video lessons (just to keep on the subject matter).

SuperSwede
April 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Rob, i dont mind doing that since microsoft always have turned to apple for their "fixes".. ok, enough computer wars :)
(my Atari ST 8mhz system is far better than both Mac & PC´s so there is no reason to argue any more :D lol )

marnold
April 12th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Of course, all of us really 1337 guys use Slackware Linux.

r_a_smith3530
April 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Rob, i dont mind doing that since microsoft always have turned to apple for their "fixes".. ok, enough computer wars :)
(my Atari ST 8mhz system is far better than both Mac & PC´s so there is no reason to argue any more :D lol )

Who's arguing? BTW, for the record, when the deep brown stuff hits the fan (read Internet here), Microsoft has a fleet of Linux servers to deflect attacks on its network! They could probably do just as well using Apple servers, since no one on the planet writes malware for these!

I am glad that there is a tabbing app out there which works on ALL the major platforms (your Atari ST excluded unfortunately SS).

As stated previously, I am not "pro" anything, OS-wise, so please, don't make me out to be. I've seen far too many good (and bad) systems go by the wayside (including the original, stand-alone Mac) to get too cozy with any one system. I make money today thanks to Microsoft, and I like to play thanks to Linus. I'd probably play with Apple more too, if they'd bring the price down to a competitive level (around $300 for a new system).

And no marnold, the really 1337 guys use BSD and Solaris!!! :D

Me, I'm not one of those 1337 guys. I just make a living doing that stuff! :rolleyes:

r_a_smith3530
April 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Now, where were we? Oh yes, tabbing software!!!

ZoSo65
April 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Hey guys , don't know if I missed something here, but I can't see Roberts videos any more.

Input, output,,;)

Thanks

duhvoodooman
April 14th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Hey guys , don't know if I missed something here, but I can't see Roberts videos any more.

Input, output,,;)

Thanks
Working fine from here....

warren0728
April 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
working for me too on my apple powerbook.

ww

Tim
April 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Yep. I go straight to the video. ZoSo, Give it time to load.

Spudman
April 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Dude, take off the sunglasses. The videos still work.

Matt
April 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Oh man, only just seen the video. And there was me thinking I had made that scale up...Dorian eh? Meh, I lay rights to it :D Nice lesson as always Robert.

Matt

ZoSo65
May 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Well I can see the videos again. Everything is working fine after installing Windows Media Player 11 ;)

Robert
May 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM
So did you find any video lessons interesting ? :)

ZoSo65
May 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I like em all Robert. I seen a lot of them before,,,but for some reason, all of a sudden I couldn't see them. I'm also having problems with youtube videos,,, seems to be a problem with Flash on my system.
Guess that's what I get for experimenting with Windows registry, which is normal for me as a PC tech. I'm always trying ways to increase system performance, testing different O/S tool software, etc., etc.
I just need to reload my O/S, and to be honest, has been over due for a couple months now. :rolleyes: