PDA

View Full Version : Etch the BOX, not the PCB

Naz Nomad
April 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Ok, all us oldies have made PCB's with Ferric Chloride in our youth, and are probably still high on the fumes 20 something years later ...

We've then proceeded to paint the enclosures, usually with very disappointing results (hey, we're musicians and/or geeks ... not body-shop technicians).

Just lately, I've seen a few projects where the 'builder' has decided against the 'trial & error' paint-job and decided to etch the aluminium enclosure with FeCl3, with varying degrees of success.

Personally, I'm going to give it a try, as my painting gives the words 'run & blob' a whole new meaning.

Has anyone here tried the etch method for an enclosure, and how did it go?

Kazz
April 4th, 2008, 04:06 AM
No.....painting would be my way....I used to paint cars...I do find myself wondering for those who have attempted to paint metal.....are you priming the surface before applying the color? Might even be wise to put on a thin layer of bondo and sand that down to smooth then prime and color to get a more professional appearance.

Naz Nomad
April 4th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I do everything correctly, even as far as fine wet-sanding between coats ... I think I suffer with "Too Impatient To Wait And Need To Use The Pedal NOW" Syndrome. :thwap:

Another problem I can see is the weather ... it's almost always damp/wet/dark here, that doesn't help my plight.

I doubt anyone would notice the small flaws in my paint-jobs , but I'm just never happy with my results.