PDA

View Full Version : TC Electronic Nova (and a cool guitar)

abraxas
April 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
http://www.tcelectronic.com/novasystem.asp

This is the new Nova System from TC Electronic.

I like the idea: a compact pedalboard multi effect unit, that can be used both as a "traditional" series of "virtual pedals" as well as a programmable multi effect.

I also like that they incorporated their really good analog OD/Distortion circuit in it, along with a number of solid digital effects from their G-System unit.

What I cannot understand, for the life of me, is why they chose to make the same mistake as with the G-System. :thwap:

What I mean is, you cannot use the both the OD/Dist circuit in front of the amp and at the same time connect the digital (usually time based/modulation) effects to the FX loop. What's the point guys? It was only a matter of a few extra connections and perhaps an additional level pot. :confused:

Other than that, I probably have to try this out. It IS expensive but could be excellent for regular gigs at small clubs.

Now for the guitar: take a look at the promo video. This is Neil Zaza playing the newest incarnation of his signature Cort guitar. The first edition was blue with a rosewood neck; I have to say I like this a lot better!

It is a fantastic value for money IMO: SD pickups, Tonepros/Sperzel hardware, etc. I believe the neck is modeled loosely on the EBMM Axis that Neil likes very much. A great rock guitar in my view. :AOK:

Robert
April 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
I'd like to hear some feedback from people who have tried that system. Wonder how good it really sounds.

Spudman
April 3rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
I think Steve Vai is now using it as well.
Everything I've ever encountered by TC has been top shelf equipment and I never see any of it used so it must be good if people are hanging on to it.

BCool
May 3rd, 2008, 02:05 AM
I've had the Nova System for a few weeks now and, I must say, I really like it. The biggest concern for me was whether I'd like the OD/Dist or not. It had to compare with my OCD pedal. Turns out, not only did the OD compare but every effect in the box sounds great! Top notch sound, ease of use, and portability. These TC guys really know what they're doing.:AOK:
As far as negatives go, I worry about futures problems with digital glitches. I've had PODs and the like that didn't always behave correctly. Also, while the unit is dead silent when idle you do get funny digital noise when adjusting parameters with the knobs. 'phzzt' It's the same sound I get when I use a TV remote while my Strat is plugged in. Not sure what that's about, but it doesn't bother me much.
As mentioned before, you are limited in how you can connect and some effects cannot be used together. But, you can easily assemble a standard effect chain and rock out.
It's much smaller (1/3) than the pedal board it replaced AND I have more effects as my disposal. The only thing missing that I would have liked in the Nova is a wah. Would've been nice since you can connect an external expression pedal.
I didn't find the price all that high considering all the effects it comes with. Overall, I'm happy with it (until the next big thing comes along).;)
That's my $0.02, FWIW. Good luck!
Brett