PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Piano: What a pain in the donkey

ZMAN
April 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM
We recently decided to sell our apartment sized Piano. We had had it for 18 years and it is in mint condtition. We bought it for my daughter and she has long since moved out. She live 1000 miles away, and nobody here plays. It is such a lovely piece of furniture we kept it.
Now my wife wants new floors and it has to go.
We contacted a company that specializes in resales and they want us to move it to their showroom and we will get 1200 to 1400 if we are lucky. It costs 200 to have it moved.
The thing is absolutely mint condition, and I am totally amazed that it has gone down so far in value. You would think it would have at least kept it's value.
We will have to factor in the moving in the price, and the whole hassle is almost not worth it. I just had to vent and was wondering if any of you had a smiliar experience and what other options I have.
I am not looking to make a huge profit, but the thing doesn't have a mark on it.

Tone2TheBone
April 4th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Have you tried Craigslist yet?

Algonquin
April 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Unfortunately pianos do not seem to hold their value that well. Size and the effort required to move then seem to be a major drawback to owning one.

Our family had a completely refurbished Weber upright that was sold for less than half the purchase price just 6 or seven years after purchase.

I've seem many ads lately on Kijiji and such where Folks are offering them for free if you come and move it. Not likely as nice as yours, but it shows what people will do to move them.

Good luck, hope you get a fair price for your instrument.
Cheers :beer:

ZMAN
April 4th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Algonquin: I have it on the St. Catharines Kijiji.
I don't think we have a craigslist in Canada? I guess it is a specialized item.
I was thinking of trying the local music conservatories. The reason I have it is that they will not certify someone on an electric piano. YOU MUST HAVE, a regular stringed piano, with a full keyboard. The problem is that most of them sell Pianos as well. I am sure when people get an estimate for 3000 bucks mine would seem appealing. It is hard to get the word out.
Moving it is the other issue. The price for a mover goes up if it is out of town or any movement other than main floor to main floor.

Algonquin
April 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM
http://niagara.en.craigslist.ca/ Here you go, give it a shot here too.

Good luck again with your sale, you'll likely do well given its condition and such.

I love the sound of a real piano.

Jampy
April 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM
You may actually want to look at donating it and getting a tax receipt for next year. By doing that the hassle of moving it may fall upon someone else so the entire amount ( in form of a receipt ) will be your to claim.

Don't know if that will work, just thinking out loud.

Good luck

Spudman
April 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Take a couple of good photos of it and put them on a flyer and take them to churches, music store bulletin boards and grocery stores. IF a new one is $2000 or more then somebody who wants a piano will get it and find a way to move it. Patience Grasshopper.
Qj31WDT0NiE

ZMAN
April 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks Algonquin. I have put it on Craigslist as well. I have had 6 replies already, but everyone wants it for half of what I am asking which is half of what it was appraised at.
The price of a mover is 200 bucks so I will try to work something into the price. Or if they want to pick up a Piano Dolly (20) dollar rental, and a rental truck for 29 bucks it is up to them.

just strum
April 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Figure a way to keep it and learn how to play. It sounds like you will end up selling it for a low price and someday in the near future saying "we should have never sold that piano".

ZMAN
May 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Well I finally got her sold. I sold it for 900 as is. I left the move up to the buyer. I explained how he should get a moving company to move it but he said they wanted 400 dollars. I said to RENT A PIANO DOLLY, and get a uhaul with a lift. If you know anything about a piano you will realize that they are very heavy and awkward. The piano dolly encases the piano and lifts it up inside the dolly so it is held in place and can be rolled on rubber wheels anywhere.
This guy show up with a 8x5 trailer and a a home made dolly. The first thing they do is lift the thing up and plunk it down on the dolly and cracked the area where the pedals are.
I already had my money and I just stood and watched. They managed to get it into the trailer and secured it to the wall. But hell, it is going 75 miles getting pounded in an 8 foot enclosed trailer.
I bet they have firewood when they get home.
I am glad to see it go but I hate to think of what is happening to it on it's way. It was such a nice unit and we had it for 17 years.

Update: I got an email already and they have it in their living room and love it to death. I am very happy that it all went well. Now my wife wants to buy a 1500 dollar chair to put in it's place. Not to mention the table and lamp.

Spudman
May 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Update: I got an email already and they have it in their living room and love it to death. I am very happy that it all went well. Now my wife wants to buy a 1500 dollar chair to put in it's place. Not to mention the table and lamp.

Oh boy!:thwap: I guess that means that you get to run out and buy a couple of pairs of shoes now.:D

ZMAN
May 21st, 2008, 07:31 AM
No Spud I think she is a little behind me on spending. I bought 4 guitars and and an amp this year and I spent 5000 on my Camaro so it's catch up time for her.

Rabies
May 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM
Oh boy!:thwap: I guess that means that you get to run out and buy a couple of pairs of shoes now.:D

No Spud I think she is a little behind me on spending. I bought 4 guitars and and an amp this year and I spent 5000 on my Camaro so it's catch up time for her.

Uh oh...approximately how many shoes before you two are square? :eek: