PDA

View Full Version : Video Lesson 4-4-08 Modes of the Major Scale Primer

mark wein
April 4th, 2008, 08:58 AM
This is a "getting started understanding modes" lesson. I'll be using it as a reference for my actual lessons on modes in upcoming weeks.

http://blog.markwein.com/2008/04/03/modal-from-the-major-scale--primer-lesson.aspx

You can find the full archive of my lessons at http://www.markweinguitarlessons.com (http://www.markweinguitarlessons.com/)

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks Mark! I already knew all of that, but it was explained well. I'm looking forward to more of the series. I was gonna suggest that you play something that highlights the sound of each scale, but at the end that is exactly what you said you'll do in future videos.

keep'em coming ;).

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Concur! I know the modes, but don't use them well yet. In lessons, we are beginning on focusing on Mixolydian. Those future vids should be a great help. my instructor is doing a great job, but it doesn't hurt to hear it from someone else, or said a different way. Thanks again!

mark wein
April 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks Mark! I already knew all of that, but it was explained well. I'm looking forward to more of the series. I was gonna suggest that you play something that highlights the sound of each scale, but at the end that is exactly what you said you'll do in future videos.

keep'em coming ;).

I figured that if I did one lesson to talk about what modes were and how they were constructed in general terms then I could use it as a reference when I did later lessons on each mode. I'm thinking that I'll probably do a series on Mixolydian next because I need that material available for the classes in my studio in a few weeks....:D

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I figured that if I did one lesson to talk about what modes were and how they were constructed in general terms then I could use it as a reference when I did later lessons on each mode. I'm thinking that I'll probably do a series on Mixolydian next because I need that material available for the classes in my studio in a few weeks....:D

LOL!!!! what did I say some other time about you uncannily hitting on stuff I am working on?!!!! :rotflmao: :pancake: :beer:

mark wein
April 6th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Concur! I know the modes, but don't use them well yet. In lessons, we are beginning on focusing on Mixolydian. Those future vids should be a great help. my instructor is doing a great job, but it doesn't hurt to hear it from someone else, or said a different way. Thanks again!

Its always good to get the same material from a few different sources...kind of like "walking around" the subject to get a better idea of what it looks like....one guy who has a pretty complete but different way of looking at the subject than I do is Mike Dodge...http://lessons.mikedodge.com/

You never stop learning...I still study the stuff and find no end to what you can do!

mark wein
April 6th, 2008, 09:19 AM
LOL!!!! what did I say some other time about you uncannily hitting on stuff I am working on?!!!! :rotflmao: :pancake: :beer:

:D

just strum
April 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I've found the same thing in using the other material. I think having the same lesson from different sources eventually helps you develop your own style.

The resources that I've found at this forum and through friends at the other forum have been extremely valuable and is a big reason that I stuck with the challenge (they are also a big reason that I've spent so much money on GAS, but that's another thread or maybe it's own section).

mark wein
April 6th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Thats why those gimmicky guitar methods that promise to have you playing guitar like a pro with no effort drive me nuts. One approach doesn't work for all people...I personally need to look at something a couple of different ways before I really have it. Thats why the internet is such a boon for guitarists with its wealth of websites and forums. You just have to get good at sifting the wheat from the chaff....

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
This place is a pretty good sifter, or has been for me. :) Good, practical advice here, and I have been very happy with the help that accomplished players have been willing to share.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Its always good to get the same material from a few different sources...kind of like "walking around" the subject to get a better idea of what it looks like....
You never stop learning...I still study the stuff and find no end to what you can do!
I agree wholeheartedly no matter what it is you are learning.

This place is a pretty good sifter
Not good enough apparently.

I'm here. ;)