PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix Experience: American Landing - on PBS tonight!

sunvalleylaw
April 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I have not seen much Hendrix, having basically missed it the first time around, and not having had occasion to see much footage since. I love PBS music programs, and I expect this to be good. It chronicles his Greenwich Village time, through success in Europe and to the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival. (Hendrix, "Pop"??) Performances include Hey Joe, Killing Floor, Foxy Lady, Rock Me Baby, and Wild Thing. I better set the VCR to record also. It is on in Idaho on PBS at 10p. Catch it!

http://www.idahoptv.org/schedules/showlistingSD.cfm?TYPE=Series&ID=15262&TZ=MT&Version_ID=174887&ThisDate=4-4-2008

Tone2TheBone
April 4th, 2008, 10:58 PM
We got Jimi at Monterey DVD and their set killed! Thanks to Jimi, Mitch and Bob Dylan's grandma. Thanks for the headsup Stevo!

sunvalleylaw
April 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I just finished watching and it was amazing. I was trying to put myself in the heads of the audience members, back in that time, and think of how it must have been. The history of how he got there was interesting too, like how the Beatles gave him the nod back in England, and that therefore he had the support of the music community on his way back across the pond to come and perform in Monterey.

Tone2TheBone
April 4th, 2008, 11:15 PM
........The history of how he got there was interesting too, like how the Beatles gave him the nod back in England, and that therefore he had the support of the music community on his way back across the pond to come and perform in Monterey.

That's a Brit thing. We did the same thing when we asked Winston Churchill back during WWII whether we should "do the thing."

I'll keep my eyes peeled for this broadcast it sounds really interesting.

tot_Ou_tard
April 5th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Yikes we should have a PBS early warning system. If I don't stumble upon them, then I miss them entirely.

Maybe we should do a bit of poking around the PBS site & warn each other days in advance.

--------------------- Edit ----------------------

It's more difficult than I thought. I just did a keyword search on music over the next week at my local PBS station & this is the most relevant item.

Nature # 2510 What Females Want and Males Will Do - Part 2: What Males Will Do

A two-part miniseries about sexual selection - unique behaviors, elaborate displays and special adaptations that determine who picks whom, who mates with whom, and who produces the offspring that carry genes into the next generation. Scientists around the world are making amazing new discoveries about the complex nature of courtship throughout the animal kingdom, employing cutting-edge technology, robotics, chemical analysis, special cameras, even computer animation. It's a sexual education that takes us all way beyond the birds and the bees. Part Two: What Males Will Do - Apparently, there is nothing a male will not do for the right to mate with a female - dance, sing, make music, fight, overdress, change body colors, develop astonishing anatomy, illuminate, even agree to be eaten alive. You're nobody until somebody loves you. (Part 2 of 2) (Closed Captioning) (Stereo)

sunvalleylaw
April 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
LOL, well tOta, a lot of his moves were pretty suggestive, so I guess that relates. There is some kind of music scheduled most every Friday here, so if we are not out, I always check. We support the local PBS affiliate financially, so we get a monthly program also. The schedule is local only, but if there are interesting programs, I could try to post a bit earlier so others could look online at their local schedules. There is a second portion of this same program coming up in a coupla weeks.

ZMAN
April 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I have three of his DVDs. Blue Wild Angel. that is him live at the Isle of Wight concert in England. It was a crappy concert. The sound kept cutting out and he looked pretty pissed. I also have this Live at Berkley and the Band of Gypsies live at the Fillmore. I have been a fan since the 60s and his first album absolutley blew me away. I had never heard stuff like that and it just grabbed me. I followed his career until he died, and it seemed to just keep going downhill. His band of Gypsies stuff did not appeal to me. Although I bought the albums.