PDA

View Full Version : How well do you know the fretboard?

Robert
April 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Why don't you find out? Go here and run this through either the 2, 5 or 10 minute test. The come back here and report how many correct ones you got and how many wrongs.

http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretboardwarrior/fretboard/fretboard.html

warren0728
April 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM
not well enough to take the test...but between lessons and learning on my own...soon i will know my fretboard.....that is my main goal....

ww

sunvalleylaw
April 4th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Right there with you Warren.

mark wein
April 4th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I did the 10 minute test and got 159 right and 1 wrong. I started to try and rush through it and I hit and Ab for an A# :mad:

warren0728
April 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
:bootyshake:
I did the 10 minute test and got 159 right and 1 wrong. I started to try and rush through it and I hit and Ab for an A# :mad:

just kidding...i think it is really cool to really know the fret board....that is one of my main goals this year for guitar learning...to truly learn the fretboard...

ww

mark wein
April 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM

just kidding...i think it is really cool to really know the fret board....that is one of my main goals this year for guitar learning...to truly learn the fretboard...

ww

:D

I think that is a great goal...you won't believe the musical doors that endeavour will open for you!

warren0728
April 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM
:D

I think that is a great goal...you won't believe the musical doors that endeavour will open for you!
i agree....i think that will be the key to my progress as a guitar player....it is an exciting time!

ww

Iago
April 5th, 2008, 12:11 AM
2 minutes - 21 answers, all correct. Do I get a discount for using the laptop? its much slower than a mouse :D

Iago
April 5th, 2008, 12:21 AM
2nd try 2 minutes again = 25 notes, all correct, on the touch pad. I think being able to listen to the sound of the note is a really good feature.

Would be nice if they had one of those tests but only with the sound and without the fretboard figure.

mark wein
April 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM
2nd try 2 minutes again = 25 notes, all correct, on the touch pad. I think being able to listen to the sound of the note is a really good feature.

Would be nice if they had one of those tests but only with the sound and without the fretboard figure.

Someone on another forum just said the same thing! It would be a good ear training device....

just strum
April 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Someone on another forum just said the same thing! It would be a good ear training device....

I have a game that allows you to test yourself in that way. I'll work on the visual first and then train the ears, after all the guitar is an audio instrument, not a visual instrument.

In the meantime, I scored a dismal 113 right answers and 6 wrong in ten minutes. However just two weeks ago I'm sure my right answers would be down in the 10 to 20 ranking.

On a bad note (no pun intended) I have work to do, on a good note - progress has been made.
:beer: :bravo:

mark wein
April 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I have a game that allows you to test yourself in that way. I'll work on the visual first and then train the ears, after all the guitar is an audio instrument, not a visual instrument.

In the meantime, I scored a dismal 113 right answers and 6 wrong in ten minutes. However just two weeks ago I'm sure my right answers would be down in the 10 to 20 ranking.

On a bad note (no pun intended) I have work to do, on a good note - progress has been made.
:beer: :bravo:

:AOK:

I think that learning guitar is a war of attrition...the longer you can stay in the fight the better you get....

just strum
April 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
:AOK:

I think that learning guitar is a war of attrition...the longer you can stay in the fight the better you get....

If you win the first challenge, the challenge of starting and staying with it for the first four months, you have a good chance of overcoming future challenges. What makes guitar or any instrument for that matter fun, is it provides hundreds of challenges and sticking with it provides hundreds of victories. Those hundreds of victories make the effort much more rewarding than a single victory.

Katastrophe
April 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
16 notes in two minutes, all correct. It seems that I kept getting a lot of F# notes. My mouse kept sticking and slowing me down.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2008, 05:36 AM
If you win the first challenge, the challenge of starting and staying with it for the first four months, you have a good chance of overcoming future challenges.
I've always thought that 3 years is the turning point for learning anything. It's a made up number, but seems to fit well with my experience.

At that point one has put enough effort & internalized enough to have some stable skills, to know how to learn, to feel like you're really starting to get it, & to have even developed the beginnings of a personal approach.

At that point the real learning begins, but from a solid foundation.

At four months you should know whether you'll make it to 3 years. Hopefully at 3 years you'll know that you doing this for the rest of your life.

I'm at 2 1/4 years ;).

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I will hit 2 years of actual playing in May. Things are moving, and a lot more understanding has been coming. Winter, with my second job, interfered some, but my new instructor has been a great help, as has been all the great contributors here. Robert as always, and Mark Wein has been a great new addtion! Thanks guys! Getting more comfortable with 5th string root and 6th string root Barre chords has helped a lot for finding good places to play lead, and ways to get up and down the fret board while playing over different chords. I am a ways away from really knowing the fretboard though.

My instructor describes how when he is playing over a changing chords, the fretboard lights up for him in his mind in different scale shapes like one of those fret light ones you can buy, and he knows where he is going. I hope I am headed in that direction. Feels like I am.

I may give this a try to see where I am now, and use it as motivation to improve and as a training tool.

Lev
April 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM
16 notes in two minutes, all correct. It seems that I kept getting a lot of F# notes. My mouse kept sticking and slowing me down.

16 for me too! Some of the notes played for me and some didn't which kinda slowed me down.