PDA

View Full Version : Practice at night, family asleep?

M29
April 10th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Hello All,

I tried to do a search but the function will not work for me for some reason. Sorry if this has been covered already.

I do a lot of practicing after everyone has gone to bed and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on a way to jam along with a CD and the guitar through headphones so I don't wake anyone up? I see Tascam has their CD-GT1MkII player that looks like it would be perfect but it is also about 150 bucks. Do you guys have any ideas on this?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Spudman
April 10th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I use the Behringer V Amp II. It has a line in with level control and all the amp sims I could want along with effects. It also doubles as my back up for gigs if my regular amp should go down. It has headphone, L&R line out, midi in and out and is foot switchable. Less than $100 new and probably $60-$80 used. Pretty versatile and small too.
I'm sure there are some other units out there probably for less but it's what I use.

M29
April 10th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hello Spudman,

Thanks for the info. I was just thinking if I could run my guitar into the computer through Audacity and monitor it playing along with a track. Will have to try that out.
I wish this Vox had some sort of line in and out it would be handy.

Thanks again Spudman.

M29

Spudman
April 10th, 2006, 09:19 PM
That works too with the computer especially if you have any amp sims. Or can you use the line out from the Vox into the comp with headphones plugged into the comp?

M29
April 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Hello Spudman,

I can get the setup to work but to put the guitar together with a CD is where I have a problem. I can get the guitar into the computer but not both. Not yet anyway.

M29

blogan
April 10th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I have a Korg Pandora. Works pretty well as a headphone amp with effects, etc, plus it has some drum/bass patterns to practice with.

I also have a Tascam CD-GT1. It plays CDs at regular speed or slower and has a guitar input. It's great for slowing down the CD to a speed I can play and then bringing it up to normal speed.

Can't remember the price for either... That way, when I see a better deal later, I don't feel bad. :o

Tim
April 11th, 2006, 04:02 AM
M29 - I use the stereo Pocket Rocket. It runs on a 9 volt battery and slips into the cable jack on the guitar. You have three options to choose from: Normal, Chorus or Distortion. The Chorus really sounds good. Other controls available are volume and a tone control. There is an AUX in for a CD player or other input and a headphone out. I really like mine a lot. It is small, easy to use and the sound is just great. I highly recommend it. See the link attached. You can purchase one without Chorus fro $39.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=151703

M29
April 11th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Hello All,

Thank you for the info I have something to look into now. Late at night is the best time for me to practice and this will definately help.

M29