PDA

View Full Version : An updated Shiner family photo

luvmyshiner
April 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I know y'all have done this before. I tried to run a search to find the thread that had Spudman's roof shot, and got nowhere. So anyway, it's been awhile since we got all the kids together for a family photo. Here ya' go.:beer:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P4060004.jpg

Algonquin
April 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Nice looking bunch of kids you have their Shiner / CB :AOK:

just strum
April 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Wow, look at all those nice guitars and the two taking front and center:AOK:

I didn't realize you had three amps - I know about the cube and the Behringer Acoustic (don't remember model#), but what's the third?

Those two latest additions to the guitar collection are real beauties.

just strum
April 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Oh, and stop posting the EA20SDL, you're tearing my heart out.:cry:

Childbride
April 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Strummy, you know i take good care of her... :cry:

she told me her name was Savage, and that she loves the longhorns, and likes texas weather better than ohio's. you can't have her back, buddy... but i promise to love her lotses. ;)

monkfish1979
April 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Holy cow. You have a helluva lot of guitars. Nice work :D

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Looks like you could spare one. Just scoot down to Houston Misiion Control blast it into space. Ask Plank for the coordinates.

I'm dancing & waving like craaAAAAaaazy Plank. Get that gattling gun of yours out before the oxygen runs out.

*psst*

What?!? There's no oxygen in space?!? :thwap:

Never mi..[TRANSMISSION ENDED]

street music
April 6th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Shiner & CB, the kids are just beautiful. Such a family that anyone would be proud of. I did take notice of a certain redhead that seem to take front and center.:bravo:

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Are you sure there isn't a .632734TRD42 in there somewhere?

There doesn't seem to be enough letters & digits to specify a guitar. It could just as easily be a cleaning product.

:thwap: Just who is the head of the Washburn advertising department? :thwap:

This guy?

http://800lbgorilla.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/026_lucky_nerd.jpg

Plank_Spanker
April 6th, 2008, 06:00 PM
That's a rather lovely family you preside over, Shiner! :D

mrmudcat
April 6th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Are you sure there isn't a .632734TRD42 in there somewhere?

There doesn't seem to be enough letters & digits to specify a guitar. It could just as easily be a cleaning product.

:thwap: Just who is the head of the Washburn advertising department? :thwap:

This guy?

http://800lbgorilla.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/026_lucky_nerd.jpg

Now you know why some of us left!!! :rockon: Robert has big veins and dresses better:master:

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Nice looking set there guys! Looks like your place is a fun place to come and hang out!

luvmyshiner
April 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks y'all. We do enjoy them. I think I'm getting ready to thin the heard a little bit though. There's a few other ones out there I've got my eye on, and we need to get rid of a few that we don't play to make room.

Tone2TheBone
April 6th, 2008, 08:29 PM
A house full of geetars is the best in the west!

Jampy
April 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
:drool:

Very Nice..

Great photo BTW

just strum
April 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Now you know why some of us left!!! :rockon: Robert has big veins and dresses better:master:

well, I'll agree with he does have big veins.:D

mrmudcat
April 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
well, I'll agree with he does have big veins.:D

You are so banned and your reply will be deleted.......................EEEERRRRRRRRR!!..... .......sorry forgot I wasnt /We aren"t on the "W":thwap:;)

warren0728
April 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
nice family guys....and those new additions fit in nicely! :bravo: :pancake:

ww

just strum
April 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You are so banned and your reply will be deleted.......................EEEERRRRRRRRR!!..... .......sorry forgot I wasnt /We aren"t on the "W":thwap:;)

I'm sure Robert will come up with a "come back". Come to think of it, I may have owed him one, so we may be even. Now I have to work on the Spudster.

luvmyshiner
April 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I didn't realize you had three amps - I know about the cube and the Behringer Acoustic (don't remember model#), but what's the third?

Hey Strum, sorry I missed your question first time around. The other amp was the first one I bought when I got my OE30, based on the recommendation of Wingsdad. It's a Behringer GMX110. Sweet little solid state amp with 30 watts and a buttload of effects.:beer:

just strum
April 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Strum, sorry I missed your question first time around. The other amp was the first one I bought when I got my OE30, based on the recommendation of Wingsdad. It's a Behringer GMX110. Sweet little solid state amp with 30 watts and a buttload of effects.:beer:

I commented about that amp in another thread this weekend. It looks to be an impressive amp and zZound has them for $120 (B Stock). I didn't realize you had that amp. Hell, you're set - well, until you sell and then buy more guitars and amps and...

luvmyshiner
April 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I commented about that amp in another thread this weekend. It looks to be an impressive amp and zZound has them for $120 (B Stock). I didn't realize you had that amp. Hell, you're set - well, until you sell and then buy more guitars and amps and...

Strum, it's a sweet amp for someone like me who just wants to noodle around with different sounds to learn. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but I think it was about twice that. The cool thing is that it comes with a pedal that allows you to switch over to the effects. That's why Wingsdad recommended it and that's what sold me on it.

wingsdad
April 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Strum, it's a sweet amp for someone like me who just wants to noodle around with different sounds to learn. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but I think it was about twice that. The cool thing is that it comes with a pedal that allows you to switch over to the effects. That's why Wingsdad recommended it and that's what sold me on it.
You may have gotten some other stuff with the amp to get up over $2 Beans, Shiner. I think it must've been no more than $150 or so, Shiner. The GMX110 lists for $220 US and they're $150 now (not B-Stock).

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with it; a lot of little amp for the money for someone who was just getting off the ground 'on the dark side' at the time.;)

Childbride
April 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
[grin] i'm Way over on the Dark Side now, without the Annakin hangover. still Luca, but playin them tunes.

have to play acoustically constantly, so i don't get lazy with the fret pressure. ;)

thank the Powers for guitar, it's given me an outlet that i never had with writing. instead of merely putting emotion-evoking words on paper, i can play them and evoke something completely different to me. :D

luvmyshiner
April 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
You may be right Wingsdad. Honestly, I'll have to go back and check cause I don't really remember what I paid for it.

sunvalleylaw
April 7th, 2008, 10:04 PM
[grin] i'm Way over on the Dark Side now, without the Annakin hangover. still Luca, but playin them tunes.

have to play acoustically constantly, so i don't get lazy with the fret pressure. ;)

thank the Powers for guitar, it's given me an outlet that i never had with writing. instead of merely putting emotion-evoking words on paper, i can play them and evoke something completely different to me. :D

Uh Oh, Shiner, sounds like you have the makings a Melissa Ethridge there in da house. :rockon:

Childbride
April 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Uh Oh, Shiner, sounds like you have the makings a Melissa Ethridge there in da house. :rockon:

actually, both my Grandpa and Daddy were big fans of my writing, and i can remember a very poignant conversation Paw Paw [my grandfather] and i had out in the pasture, on a hill near where he first taught me to shoot, at my grandparents' place... he was dying of lung cancer [never smoked a day in his life][we spent a lot of personal time before he passed, and i will always treasure that].

he made me promise him a short list of things, and one of them is that before i Leave this Place, i put some of my writing to music.

i have to gain a LOT more skill at this before i try that, but it's on the List. ;)

sunvalleylaw
April 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
That is great. I have utmost respect for your efforts. I am not at the place where I can write yet, other than in the crude limerick sense.

Childbride
April 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
That is great. I have utmost respect for your efforts. I am not at the place where I can write yet, other than in the crude limerick sense.

maybe i have to watch august rush a few more times, and connect to my inner universe, or something, so i can hear how the words and the tones connect. i think there's another Level you have to reach to acquire this, and i work towards it.;)

and maybe i need to get a tutorial from Strummy on what his teacher told him about basic music construction. :whatever: :D

on a weird side note on this subject... for years, i would write not just poetry but what came to be known to my 'Inner Circle' as 'kimmie stories.' they were quite popular in law school, helped keep us all sane. and what was funny, is that a lot of times, the story reminded me of a song, past or present, and i would start the story with the lyrics of the song that the story evoked. if i could do that in another sense... i'd be there, i think.

Spudman
April 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM
he made me promise him a short list of things, and one of them is that before i Leave this Place, i put some of my writing to music.

i have to gain a LOT more skill at this before i try that, but it's on the List. ;)

A good practice for me was to pick up the acoustic and read the newspaper and just sing the news. It's kind of fun to do, lets you develop your own phrasing and hopefully will allow you to develop melody as well.

street music
April 8th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I can't wait, CHILDBRIDE, her 1st release of songs with the #1 hit song sweeping the country charts LUVMYSHINER. GO CB, you can do it and PAWPAW is waiting to hear you sing from the mountain top.

Childbride
April 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
A good practice for me was to pick up the acoustic and read the newspaper and just sing the news. It's kind of fun to do, lets you develop your own phrasing and hopefully will allow you to develop melody as well.

[...] you have piqued my curiosity. do you write? do you just randomly pick chords? could you talk to me like i'm three and elaborate? [i mean that very respectfully, it's one of my things i say, speak to me like i'm three when i want to really break it down]

Street, it's going to be awhile. but i will get there eventually, just for me, and a Promise. i'm not a songwriter, but i will make what i have spoken Sing.

piebaldpython
April 9th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Hey Shiner and CB,
Nice bunich of KIDS that you have running around the house!! ahaahha Shiner, I noticed that you mentioned "thinning the herd" and getting some new LIVESTOCK in there. Ya can't go wrong with a lap steel and/or a resonator. Then, you can really go out on a limb and get an electric reso (like Eric Sardinas plays) and then your Teutonic Goddess will REALLY be awesome squared!!

Brian Krashpad
April 10th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Good lookin' family shot! Tell me 'bout the 'lectrics. Is the black on in the corner a Guild? Can't quite make it out. And the Tele, a Fender MIM?

Since I asked questions I'll also give some answers, even though they were questions asked of Spud, the ones regarding writing. It seems everyone has a different methodology to how they write. A large batch of people start with a musical riff, or a beat or rhythm, and see what that evokes lyrically. A large number of working bands, particularly ones that have a lead singer who doesn't play an instrument, will make up a whole song instrumentally, based on this sort-of "jamming" method, and then expect the vocalist to come up
with lyrics for it. But the method can work for a solo-type person too, just play some random chords, find a progression you like, and see what kind of mood it evokes. It may be that some lyrics/poetry you've already written will "fit," or you may need to start from scratch.

All that said, that's not how I write. I can do it if in a collaborative sitch, but that's not my default methodology. I tend to write songs "internally," all of a piece. In other words, typically I don't write with an instrument. I write the words with a specific melody in mind, and (if no one's around) will actually sing the lines a capella as I write. But this can be done entirely "in your head" as well. I've written entire songs, for example, while mowing my lawn.

After I have the melody and lyrics written (again, I do this all at the same time, jotting down or memorizing the lyrics as I go), then I pick up a guitar and figure out the chord progression of the song. One advantage of writing based on the singing side rather than the instrumental side is, you'll never write a song in a key you can't sing it in, or one with notes outside your vocal range. For "singers" (and believe me, I use the term loosely) such as myself with an extremely limited vocal range, this method of writing is a godsend.

Good luck with your writing!

luvmyshiner
April 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hey Pie, good to see ya' brother. I don't know about an electric reso, but I'm still gassin' for a sweet little mandolin. I may have to start watching them on ebay and see what I can pick one up for.

Brian, the black guitar is my Washburn OE30.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/PC190002.jpg

I'll let CB tell ya' about her tele.

Brian Krashpad
April 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks Shiner. The Delta King, is that the bolt-on neck model? Iirc it was, and there was a similar but more expensive one that was setneck. But I'm not at all "up" on Washburn models like y'all Washouts are, so straighten me out if I'm off base. ;)

I know a lot of folks on other boards I go to who have had those Delta Kings and love them, reportedly quite playable guitars for very little dosh.

luvmyshiner
April 10th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah Brian, it's got a bolt on neck. I don't really know that much about electrics, but I got this one to play around with a little bit. I think I paid about $150, and for that price ya' can't go wrong.

Childbride
April 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Brian, thank you sincerely for your comments, they will be taken into account in my 2d venture [the first to get all these set songs down!]

the tele is an MIA, an American Standard.

she sounds so sweet, i love her to death. every day with this adventure, it truly doesn't matter which lady i pick up, i just enjoy it more and more

[ok, i enjoy it a little more right now with Odyssey, but don't tell her sisters that or they'll get angry with me];)

Spudman
April 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
[...] you have piqued my curiosity. do you write? do you just randomly pick chords? could you talk to me like i'm three and elaborate? [i mean that very respectfully, it's one of my things i say, speak to me like i'm three when i want to really break it down]

Just think up a progression. Open the paper and sing what you read.
It has to have meter and melody. The great thing is that it feels like you are being creative and the words are already there so much of the weight of being lyrically creative is lifted because the words are already there.

speak to me like i'm three
Now go wash your hands and stop picking your nose.

Childbride
April 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Just think up a progression. Open the paper and sing what you read.
It has to have meter and melody. The great thing is that it feels like you are being creative and the words are already there so much of the weight of being lyrically creative is lifted because the words are already there.

Now go wash your hands and stop picking your nose.

thank you... :rotflmao: