PDA

View Full Version : Sheraton 2 pickups - Tone problem

Eden Silveira
April 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hello misters

I am using this wiring diagram as reference: http://www.specialtyguitars.com/kits/lp_diagram.pdf

I have installed the Epiphone Sheraton 2 pickups on a nice Les Paul replica.

My problem is: the tone controls only acts when they are at 75% to the end of the 500K pot, and at 100% the sound is very "muddy" and low.

Im using 0,047 uF capacitors.

maybe 250K pots corrects this problem ?

thanks

abraxas
April 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Welcome!

On the contrary, using 250K pots will worsen your problem.

What you're describing is quite common for cheaper pots, what brand are you using? The first thing I would do would be to change them for quality CTS or other top-name pots. They are not that expensive after all!

You could also do a "treble-bleed" mode to retain some treble when rolling off the volume (this concerns the volume pots, of course):

http://www.kinman.com/html/toneWorkshop/perfectGuitar.htm#volumePots

Eden Silveira
April 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hello

Thanks Abraxas for the fast reply and attention.
The web site you have posted is very rich information, and is in my favorites.

But let me explain again the problem.
The sound is pretty bright from 0% to 75% of the knob ajustment.
The tone only acts from 75% to 100%.
By another way, the lower of brightness only starts at 3/4 of pot rotation to the end.

I expect a more linear ajustment, from 0% to 100%.

The pots installed are the same used in a Roland amplifier that I have here, and I have checked the linearity with a ohm meter.
All pots are linear pots, not logarithmic pots. It´s right ?

My truly problem is that I don´t know the original set of pots used at Sheraton.

But I will follow your orientation.

I will reply sooner as I have a solution.

thanks again

abraxas
April 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I expect a more linear ajustment, from 0% to 100%.

The pots installed are the same used in a Roland amplifier that I have here, and I have checked the linearity with a ohm meter.
All pots are linear pots, not logarithmic pots. It´s right ?

Hmmmm... no! The pots in almost every guitar out there are logarithmic, not linear!

This is the way our ear is accustomed in "hearing" changes in both "tone" (frequency content) and "volume" (overall SPL, Sound Pressure Level).

For instance, while lowering the volume, I'm sure you have observed a loss in high and low frequency content. This is quite natural: if you hear a voice, say, 20-30 meters away, you would notice the same think, as opposed to hearing that same voice next to you.

Eden Silveira
April 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Ok

Now I understand...
The schematics available on the net rarely mention this.
Maybe it´s obvious for everybody... but living and learning...

I send the guitar to a luthier to review the hardware, and I did have tell him about my problem. But not about the solution you have explained to me.

This week I will take "my precious" and soon post the results...

thanks for the attention