PDA

View Full Version : Removing knobs

M29
April 11th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Hello,

Do you guys have any tips on removing the control knobs on the guitar without maring the finish, I want to change the knobs on my LP copy?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

warren0728
April 11th, 2006, 05:35 AM
soft cloth wrapped around pliers?

or just don't think of it as marring the finish...but vintaging (is that a word) it!

ww

Tim
April 11th, 2006, 06:03 AM
NO NO! NO pliers. Wrap a handkerchief or simular cloth under and around the knob. Twist the cloth a few times to tighten around the knob and gently lift up. The knob will slide right off. When replacing the knob, place a credit card under the knob when sliding the knob back on. It will leave the correct gap so the knob will not rub on the guitar body.

warren0728
April 11th, 2006, 06:22 AM
NO NO! NO pliers. Wrap a handkerchief or simular cloth under and around the knob. Twist the cloth a few times to tighten around the knob and gently lift up. The knob will slide right off. When replacing the knob, place a credit card under the knob when sliding the knob back on. It will leave the correct gap so the knob will not rub on the guitar body.
then i guess my second choice of a hammer and chisel would be a no no too? :D

btw...tim you have a pm

ww

Spudman
April 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I like Tim's advise. No hard, scratchy things to mar the finish or break any plastic. Good one.

Tone2TheBone
April 11th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hey Tim now you've taught me something. Thanks buddy.

Tim
April 11th, 2006, 09:26 AM
It's the least I can do in return for the valuable info you all have shared with me. I am glad I can contribute.

Vinni Smith
April 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM
then i guess my second choice of a hammer and chisel would be a no no too? :D

btw...tim you have a pm

ww

This works best if you first tie a string around the neck between the nut and the tuners. Then drag the guitar behind your vehicle for approx 1 1/2 city blocks. This will loosen the knobs first so you won't get any nasty chisel marks. I do this all the time with my PRS guitars......

vinni

warren0728
April 12th, 2006, 04:50 AM
This works best if you first tie a string around the neck between the nut and the tuners. Then drag the guitar behind your vehicle for approx 1 1/2 city blocks. This will loosen the knobs first so you won't get any nasty chisel marks. I do this all the time with my PRS guitars......

vinni
man that's what i love about this forum....
lots of useful information for us all (no matter what our playing level is)

ww :D

Tim
April 12th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Yea, and Vinni stayed on the topic. My question to Vinnie is that we do not have city blocks in my part of the world. Can you convert that into U.S. miles or kilometers? I would not want to do an over kill trying to remove the knobs from my guitars.

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Geez, I can't believe nobody has mentioned the discrete use of explosives in this thread. Just a dab will do ya....

warren0728
April 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Geez, I can't believe nobody has mentioned the discrete use of explosives in this thread. Just a dab will do ya....
i like the way you think :D

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Uh-oh. Blatant silliness alert!! We've hijacked another legitimate thread with our communal brand of twisted humor and will probably get yelled at by a forum administrator. Quick, hide behind one of your amphs! :eek: :D

Tim
April 12th, 2006, 05:34 AM
You must remember to mention the "removale of knobs" to stay with the theme. That eliminates a hijack thread.

I beleive the use of explosives would most likely melt the plastic knobs, unless you use low impact explosives.

Bloozcat
April 12th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Then there's always the two spoon method. You simply pad the top of your guitar around the knob with a folded towel, slip the spoons under the knob on opposing sides, and then "rock" the spoons by gently pushing down on them. The spoons will rock along the radius of the spoon's back side, and the knob will pop off. It's an especially effective method on Strats and the like. The spoons don't mar the pickguards at all...even without the towel.

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Then there's always the two spoon method. You simply pad the top of your guitar around the knob with a folded towel, slip the spoons under the knob on opposing sides, and then "rock" the spoons by gently pushing down on them. The spoons will rock along the radius of the spoon's back side, and the knob will pop off. It's an especially effective method on Strats and the like. The spoons don't mar the pickguards at all...even without the towel.
Ooooh, I like that one! Gotta try it the next time I take the knobs off my Strat. Thanks, BC!