PDA

View Full Version : All this talk of SGs...

markb
April 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
...has driven me to this!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/2397147753_3bec949a3d.jpg

"This" being an Epiphone Vintage G400 bought via TradeMe (kiwi eBay) from a local seller. It was a typical "teenager's guitar" when I picked it up this morning. Grubby and badly set up. After holding a birthday party (fifth I suspect) for the strings I set to work cleaning and adjusting. Scrubs up nicely. don't she :AOK: ?
I also got a VOX Pathfinder 10 in the deal, OK clean but the OD is insane. I think I'll be moving that along.

Fretbuzz
April 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Nice find!

mrmudcat
April 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
yep good one for sure it looks like!

Tone2TheBone
April 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Nice looking Epi markb congrats.

Plank_Spanker
April 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Seems to be a run on SG's here lately...............:D

Nice looking SG, Mark! :AOK:

Algonquin
April 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Definately a fine guitar for the money! :AOK:

Is it the Amp you prefer Overdriven, or the pickups. I've read the G400 has a fairly hot set of P/ups. Nothing wrong with that on an SG though...

markb
April 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Definately a fine guitar for the money! :AOK:

Is it the Amp you prefer Overdriven, or the pickups. I've read the G400 has a fairly hot set of P/ups. Nothing wrong with that on an SG though...

I don't know about for the money, it's really nicely put together. some of the hardware isn't the best but the body (3 piece) and neck are great and the fretwork is good with only a couple of sharp ends. As mainly a Fender guy I'd say this is more like a Mexican in quality than a Squier. It's a bit neck heavy so I'll have to use a wide and grippy strap. I may polish out the satin finish if I can be bothered.

The setup was easy enough. I managed to lower the action considerably but I'm not used to increasing the relief on my necks as I like Fender necks as straight as I can get away with. This one needed to be backed off almost a full turn before it fretted cleanly around the 10th fret. This also increased the sustain enormously. I guess Fenders and Gibsons are just different :thwap:

The spec says the pups are 57 neck and Hot bridge. They're OK but I might drop in some GFS Mean 90s later for that Live at Leeds vibe. It drives my usual TM60 "Fender" settings nicely and is thick and warm with a nice edge through my trusty Proco Rat.

Overall, it takes me back to my postpunk days when I played an all mahogany Gibsonesque guitar into an AC30. Ah, lost youth :cry:

sunvalleylaw
April 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Looks really fun! I love that cherry color too on SGs. Set off by the black PG it is just nice looking! Yours and Plank's Gibbie!

just strum
April 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yep, looks just like mine - they are good guitars and I find mine to be well built. I agree, they are next heavy and you do need a grippy strap. When I first got it I had a nylon strap and if I let the neck go it would point straight to the ground. I also had to support it with my left hand and that's not what you ever want, but when learning to play you definitely struggle.

It's not my "go to", but it certainly is a good one to have in the collection.