PDA

View Full Version : G&l Guitars

Fretbuzz
April 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know what ASAT stands for? I picked one up at my local shop last night, it sounded very nice. It was one of the Tribute models, made in Indonesia, but the quality was pretty good. Any opinions on G&Ls?
I was reading about the history of G&L guitars on their website, I couldn't find what ASAT stands for.

aeolian
April 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
ASAT is an acronym for an anti-satellite system from what I recall reading. Leo Fender and George Fullerton tend to like names along those lines.

I have 2 US made G&Ls, one is a ASAT-style semi-hollow mahogany guitar with 3 MFD pickups, the other is an L-2000 bass. Both are excellent instruments. The import G&Ls are also supposed to be quite good, but I would recommend trusting your ears and your hands on those (the same with any other instrument).

markb
April 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM
ASAT = Another Strat, Another Tele. Or so the industry humourists would have it. As for models, if you want one guitar to do everything, the Comanche takes a lot of beating.

just strum
April 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
aeolian is correct

From the G&L site

ASAT is a military abbreviation for "anti-satellite"; the name was suggested by author Richard Smith after he read an article about the Air Force's ASAT missile. Both Leo Fender and Dale Hyatt reportedly liked the image of a guitar shooting down things in space, and hence the name "stuck". The name is often (incorrectly) interpreted to mean "After Strat, After Telecaster".

wingsdad
April 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM
They're the best American-made electric guitar today, dollar for dollar. Period.

For lots of reasons. In a nutshell, because they're 'guitars by Leo'.

I have 2 of them. An ASAT Semi-Hollow (headstock in my AV) and a Comanche. Soon I'll have a 3rd. It's still at the factory. I ordered it 4 weeks ago. Just sold a Fender JP-90 bass and am deciding (about 75% sure) on selling my Tacoma Koa jumbo to cover it.

just strum
April 9th, 2008, 10:41 AM
They're the best American-made electric guitar today, dollar for dollar. Period.

For lots of reasons. In a nutshell, because they're 'guitars by Leo'.

I have 2 of them. An ASAT Semi-Hollow (headstock in my AV) and a Comanche. Soon I'll have a 3rd. It's still at the factory. I ordered it 4 weeks ago. Just sold a Fender JP-90 bass and am deciding (about 75% sure) on selling my Tacoma Koa jumbo to cover it.
:drool: :drool: :drool:

wingsdad
April 9th, 2008, 11:45 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:
:poke: Not yet, Strum. Not yet. :) But I get buzzed when my cell rings and I recognize my GAS Station's number...:confused:

Spudman
April 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM

Debatable. ;) Ernie Ball seems to be doing something right when you look at how many artist signature guitars they have. I'd say they are the two best affordable American made guitars. :AOK:

wingsdad
April 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Debatable. ;) Ernie Ball seems to be doing something right when you look at how many artist signature guitars they have. I'd say they are the two best affordable American made guitars. :AOK:

True, true. Agreed. Ernie Ball MusicMan is overlooked. :AOK:

Funny, though, isn't it? That these 2 best affordable American made guitars are both post-CBS Leo enterprises, starting G&L with Fullerton after selling his MM stuff to Ball?

Spudman
April 10th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Too bad other companies don't practice as these do. They are smaller companies that are dedicated to quality and service. This is something that much of the competition seem to overlook in the pursuit of the almighty $.

wingsdad
April 11th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Too bad other companies don't practice as these do. They are smaller companies that are dedicated to quality and service. This is something that much of the competition seem to overlook in the pursuit of the almighty $.
That's a big +1, Spuds. :beer:
Companies like G&L, EB/MM, and Heritage don't require the dealer to carry a minimum $ volume of inventory to keep the 'privelege' of the franchise. They may (and do) produce limited quantity runs of a certain specifically outfitted & limited color choice model, at a set special price, so a dealer can stock a couple of those. But in the end, those are more or less 'samples' upon which one can base a personalized factory order by the dealer.

The order for my new G&L was placed 4 weeks ago. At the time, the dealer was told it will be a minimum of 6 weeks, as much as 14 weeks, for the guitar to get done. That's because there's other orders ahead of mine. They work in batches of similar models, but they don't crank them out with a cookie cutter, hitting a production quota for the day. I'm OK with that. Take your time, folks. I know they're building it by hand, and with care. I'm prepared to wait til June for this thing. If it comes any sooner, it will be like Christmas coming early, that's all.

abraxas
April 11th, 2008, 12:27 PM
True, true. Agreed. Ernie Ball MusicMan is overlooked. :AOK:

Funny, though, isn't it? That these 2 best affordable American made guitars are both post-CBS Leo enterprises, starting G&L with Fullerton after selling his MM stuff to Ball?

I already have a EBMM. The little I've seen from G&L they are great guitars.

I've seen a couple of Comanches on the German ebay and I sometimes regret not bidding on them... Particularly a purple custom colored one, a few months ago... :thwap:

They seem to sell at fair second hand prices, even in Europe.

R.B. Huckleberry
April 14th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Yeah, G&L has a weaker re-sale value.

Which is fine with me: I plan on keeping my ASAT Special. Been 5 years so far.