PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know why this happens?

pes_laul
April 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM
When I record something on my BOSS recording studio machine it comes out as a WAV file. I use audicity to export it MP3 so I can fit it onto Box.net. As a WAV file it has good sound quality but when it is in MP3 it comes out fuzzy and stuff. Is there a way to get rid of the fuzz?

ted s
April 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Maybe the Audacity conversion is dragging the bit rate down, just a WAG.
See in the preferences of Audacity if there is a setting you can increase if need be. As an example, the MP3's in my iTunes are anywhere fron 128 to 160 kbps.

Spudman
April 8th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Like Ted says make sure the bit rate is at least 128 and it should be good. IF you are getting some other distortion then it might happen during the conversion to mp3. Try a free copy of CDEX for converting. It might be something is corrupt in your copy of audacity or you might be loading the file from your Boss unit into Audacity too hot. The level might be too high hence the distortion.

aeolian
April 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'll put in another recommendation for CDEX. Best free tool I've come across just about anywhere. Set the MP3 sample rate to 128K or higher and you should be fine.

You can try setting the sample rates to different values, create mp3s and listen to see at which point you can no longer hear any difference. For me it is 128K. Note that the higher the sample rate the larger the resultant mp3 file. At 128K the mp3 will be about 1/10 of the size of the wav file.

abraxas
April 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm using Wavepad for such work, as well as minor editing. I believe they have a free version also? Great tool!

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2008, 11:13 AM
If you use iTunes it will convert it to MP3 for you also.