PDA

View Full Version : Jimmie Vaughan

Steffe1973
April 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hello again!
Maybe this is not the right forum, but I have some questins
about Jimie Vaughan. I have seen some of his playing and I can´t
say if I like him or not. And I´m probably WAY OF.
What do you think of him? Is he up there with Clapton, Cray or Bonamassa?

I have absolutely no grudge against him it´s just that I don´t no if I like
his playi´n style and singing.

Steffe

Tone2TheBone
April 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
He's got his own original style. You can't really compare him to anyone else. I've seen him live twice and each time was excellent. He's got a great band too.

Steffe1973
April 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Okey, fair enough. I haven´t seen him live.

Jipes
April 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
He is one of my favorite guitar player, don't get fooled by his apparent lack of virtuosity his style is the RYTHMN perfect time machine for any singer he did an amazing job during his time in The Fabulous Thunderbirds So much that when he left kim Wilson had to take two guitar players in the band to replace him :crazyguy:

Listen to his perfet rythmn and riff combination on "One 's too many" hear the great use of the leslie and vibrato from the Fender really tasty ;)

As for his solo playing just listen to "Wait on time" and you will hear a brillant bluesman really great swing and groovy guitar licks !

He is the Master of Economy in teh guitar playing and this is a rare quality IMHO.

His solo work is very brillant specially in the Gospel/blues oriented numbers he has a limited voice but tons of great feeling

Jipes

stingx
April 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Jimmie Vaughan is not a "showman" guitarist. He is from the "less is more" school of playing. Don't be mislead though. JV is one of the best rhythm guitarists on the planet and plays for the song. He can and does rip it up very well though and is a great lead player when he lets loose. He deserves to be placed among the greats.

sumitomo
April 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Yea I like his old school approach,I have heard Ronnie Earl talk about his playing how he liked it because he left space in his playing,and to me this is a plus no a must when playing blues.Sumi :D

Steffe1973
April 10th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry about starting the thread, did´nt mean to talk down on his playing.
It was my own reflection on JV.

ZMAN
April 10th, 2008, 06:29 AM
He will always be compared to SRV. You can really hear the major difference on the Family Style album. I have seen him play on both Crossroads and a Tribute to Stevie DVD, and he is a good player but I don't think he is on par with the icons. I personally have none of his CDs and I really don't plan to.

stingx
April 10th, 2008, 07:13 AM
He will always be compared to SRV. You can really hear the major difference on the Family Style album. I have seen him play on both Crossroads and a Tribute to Stevie DVD, and he is a good player but I don't think he is on par with the icons. I personally have none of his CDs and I really don't plan to.

JV is cited as SRV's biggest influence and was taught how to play guitar by him. JV was already an established icon before his brother reached fame. That said, to each his own - however, to dismiss JV as "not being on par with the other icons" is pretty ignorant. He is called to play at events by the "icons" all the time. With all the players to pick and choose from I'm sure if he sucked so badly the likes of Clapton, for example, could easily pick someone else.

Jipes
April 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM

This is a matter of taste I have all the early Fabulous Thunderbirds albums and they are a perfect lesson to every blues guitarist :master:

As for his solo work the records are pretty damn good specially the First one Strange Pleasure and the last one Do You Get the Blues?

He is truely underrated but just remind that he was the guitarist in the house backing band in Antone's where all the big blues names were coming to play including Stellar artists as Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Rogers or Hubert Sumlin

It's quite something isn't it ;)

SuperSwede
April 10th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I love JV.. especially his work with fab thunderbirds.. Fantastic stuff!

Blaze
April 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Minimalist he is , that s the old school , just like B.B.King ..

I like it ..

Blazes

sumitomo
April 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Sorry about starting the thread, did´nt mean to talk down on his playing.
It was my own reflection on JV.
Steffe I dont think you were slamming his playing just saying what ya feel,were all big boys and girls here and I think honesty is king.Sumi:poke: :D

Steffe1973
April 10th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks sumitomo!

However this is my little unofficiell list of players I admire
(bare in mind that I just caught on this bluesthing a few years ago)

1. Eric Clapton
2. SRV
3. Albert King
4. BB King
5. Joe Bonamassa
6. Robert Cray
7. Greg Koch
8. John Mayer
9. Jonny Lang
10. Buddy Guy
:bravo:

ZMAN
April 10th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hey Stingx don't get your shorts in a not. I have studied the blues for over 50 years and I have opinions on who are the best and worst guitarists out there. I have no problem with JV but I PERSONALLY don't think he is one of them. To say by calling him not on par with other icons is "pretty ignorant" is a little harsh. That is one of the reason I became a member here because it seemed that you didn't get that type of talk here.
When Steve and Robert mentioned this forum, I had hoped it would be a place where one could voice their opinion. Since I have been a member here I have been nothing but courteous to everyone and shared my knowlege, and to be called "pretty ignorant" is not justified.

SuperSwede
April 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM
OK guys... time to quit fighting about this.

mrmudcat
April 10th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Ok guys lets diffuse this ,its not really that big a deal.No sense calling peeps names over differences of opinion.Also if you are part of a forum you will have to develop thicker skin.;) Although this is a great peaceful kindly place for all members ,not everyone will agree,there will be comments once in awhile that you just have to ignore. (someone saying part of your reply is ignorant and someone saying your an idiot for making that reply is not the same;) )Not saying id appreciate either I would not:beer: Anyways .......bury it or discuss privately thats an order!!:bravo: :beer:

mrmudcat
April 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
J.V. has a place in blues history for sure are ya kidding???

SRV says his brother was one of his biggest influences and im sure Stevie borrowed a few licks from big brother!:AOK:

ZMAN
April 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Not fightin! Not thin skinned either. Been on many forums, and tend not to get too shook up by "slips" of the tongue.
A fellow Fretter asked for our opinions, and I gave it. My choice of words would have been "I don't agree with you for these reasons".
I have not really given JV a lot of time and maybe I should revisit some of his music. Some of his better works have been pointed out and I will listen to them.

player
April 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Much agree but to be fair what about the works he did with The Fablulous Thunderbirds?have the family one not really impressed in as much IMO I think he may be in a class by himself.lonely but in one.

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2008, 12:45 PM
These comments are interesting. I think JV is one of those guys that has his own thing going on. Often misunderstood unless you've seen him play live or know him personally or something. To me he's a "big brother" type that you have a deep respect for and never say anything bad about. He just IS. Like him or not.

Jipes
April 11th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I have not really given JV a lot of time and maybe I should revisit some of his music. Some of his better works have been pointed out and I will listen to them.

Hey Zman go back to my post and try to listen the tunes that I mentionned I'm pretty sure you will change your mind ;)

And for sure you're not the only one to have this opinion, on a french forum where I'm mod there's lots of members who also don't see the point of Jimmie Great style but this is just a matter of taste no worries ;)

Jipes

Spudman
April 11th, 2008, 07:24 AM
He just IS. Like him or not.
Zactly.
I guess JV is like taxes?:D

birv2
April 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I go back and forth on Jimmie, maybe depending on what I hear. I love his early stuff with the T-Birds, especially their first album. AMAZING playing. I also like his recent solo albums. I've seen other stuff on youtube where I thought he sounded kind of awful, or at least not to my taste: too much treble for me.

Having said that, there is something about his playing that is really tasty. He has a habit of leaving out notes that you expect to hear. So there are a lot of "holes" in his solos. And I actually like that. His brother supposedly said that he (SRV) played 80% of what he knew, while Jimmie played about 1% of what he knew.

And I'm also the proud owner of a JV Strat!

:bravo:

Bob

stingx
April 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
And I'm also the proud owner of a JV Strat!

You, sir, have excellent taste! :beer:

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Concur. Guitar, amph in the avatar, now has a bad monkey, and can appreciate JV. There you go!