PDA

View Full Version : ACK!!! no pressure... no pressure...

Childbride
April 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
i just got back from my lesson... was very pleased to have nailed it... :)

when my teach says:

"well, i'm gonna promote you after that performance. you're now going to be backup on the whole set in case something happens to someone at the last minute and they can't show"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

i have to learn, with a couple of exceptions, a song a week from now until june.

i know y'all learn like 20 a week and stuff, but i'm still playing with 'guitar training wheels' over here...

i'm thrilled to death that he feels he can trust me with this responsibility, but now i'm terrified i'm going to let him down... :(

[stay in your Happy Place... s'ok...]

:dude: :eek: :rockon: :eek:

peachhead
April 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
If you're playing with training wheels... then I'm screwed. Don't even have a tricycle yet. :D

You'll do great! That's great news :AOK:

warren0728
April 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
i know y'all learn like 20 a week and stuff
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
you obviously haven't talked to my instructor....then main thing i have learned is that i suck more than i thought i did!

anyway....the main thing is it sounds like you can kick shiners's a$$ at playing which isn't such a bad thing.....for you! :D

keep up the great work....gives some of us slow learners inspiration! :bravo:

ww

sunvalleylaw
April 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Go for it. All that studying for finals and bar exams and trial prep taught you how to do all you need to do.

luvmyshiner
April 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Aww heck Warren. She's been able to kick my a$$ for a long time. I'm just an old country strummer.:beer:

Steve, you said a mouthful brother. I still have nightmares and wake up in a cold sweat when I think about those days.

piebaldpython
April 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
If your TEACHER didn't think you could do it, he wouldn't have told ya!!! Congrats CB!!!! :bravo:

ted s
April 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
ahem.. CB... Dudette.. schwiing and all .. your training wheels fell off a while ago.

Robert
April 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM
That's awesome, girl! You'll learn a lot - you're already a semi-pro now - just keep going!

street music
April 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Way to go CB, I'm still trying to keep my strums in time and playing a few lead parts on some songs. I guess that I have finally got to point of picking my way through Willie Nelson's version of CRAZY' go figure on that one. I have gotten my way too on Your Cheatin Heart. I'm working on a few EAGLES songs and Beatles too, got a decent start on Hotel California. Just think an old guy like me might be able to learn a song by CHILDBRIDE that hot new act from TEXAS.:dude:

Plank_Spanker
April 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
There is nothing like a little pressure to force improvement. It will put your nose firmly at the grindstone and when you look back, you'll be amazed at what you learned. :D

just strum
April 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
CB, you've been taking a number of steps down that path on your guitar journey. It's great to hear and I certainly am happy for you. The day will come when I will be saying "I knew her when..."

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Childbride
April 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
all y'all... you don't know what it means to hear your words of encouragement [and i am so wanting to whine right now instead of centering] and Plank [and SVL... and Robert] ... i think that when you invoke my inner tiger about achieving under pressure, you are right.

although i am hearing the chords of dichotomy in my soul between being overwhelmed and being thrilled at the challenge, i remember a favorite story of my Father's.

"you were three. i took you to the local playground at Turtle Creek. i was talking to another father while you were playing at the play ground. apparently, at some point, an older boy challenged you to go stand in a fire ant hill, and you looked at him. you said no. he apparently [this is after the fact, with the respective parents] told you you would be chicken if you didn't do it. darned if you didn't square step in that fire ant bed and stand there, squalling, until i realized what was happening... i ran to get you, ran home with you, got the ants off you... but you never moved."

[NOTE: THIS IS NOT ANY DEGREDATION AGAINST MY DADDY]

'i knew then that anything you put your mind to, you would do. and you have'

and the one question i asked him before he died was if he was proud of me. and he said 'of course'

so i do this, for my Father. i remember the Face of my Father, and i don't care how hard it is, or how many fire ants it takes. [or rumdrinks in the bahamas]

y'all are awesome for your support. thank you. :D

Skip77
April 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
CB - I notice more responses here than at WGF. I've been out of town and catching up to where I'm peeking around in the forums again. Way to go on the backup job and challenge!

The only story I have that is similar may not be encouraging but in an odd way, I think it will be... I had called the local play company to volunteer as trumpet for pit orchestra (if they had one) Person I spoke with wrote my name and promised to get back in touch when they needed a pit orchestra. Several months passed, no word. The call came and asked me to show up the following night. I showed up to discover guess what? They had rehearsed a very lively play with a score 1" thick for 6months (filled with extremely difficult trumpet parts from front to back) and then, that night, just 2 nights before opening curtain, they wondered if I could handle the score, BY MYSELF!!! To say I was stunned would be a huge understatement. I had to decline - no way could I perform that score or be ready in 2 days.

I told them I might have been able to do it if they had included me in the rehearals from day 1 and asked them to keep me on the list and get me involved earlier next time. Never heard from them again :(

Anyway, that won't be your experience, CB. You're ready for this responsibility without a doubt. Keep up the good work. My perception is that you are quickly becoming a reliable and skilled guitarist, unlike most of us hackers!

Algonquin
April 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have to agree with Mr PlankSpanker that a bit of pressure sometimes is a great motivator.

I know that at work I'll sit on a report that has to be written until a Client calls you for a copy of it... then it's amazing how fast you can do it.

Motivation is the key... if you want to do it, you can - and you will! :AOK:

Good luck on the tunes... this stuff is all about fun! Enjoy :bravo:

marnold
April 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
the chords of dichotomy
On a lighter note, this would be a great name for a pretentious fusion band.

Childbride
April 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
On a lighter note, this would be a great name for a pretentious fusion band.

i apologize. i have a great deal of familial responsibility on my shoulders right now, and it has me thinking of my Patriarchy constantly. this vacation is badly needed.

warren0728
April 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM
i apologize. i have a great deal of familial responsibility on my shoulders right now, and it has me thinking of my Patriarchy constantly. this vacation is badly needed.
do not apologize...obviously i don't know you personally but some of your posts are so "from the heart" about your family that it affects me emotionally....my kids are the most important thing in my life and there are posts you have made that help keep me focused not on how i'm feeling but how to maintain a positive attitude for my kids....

hey shiner....cb is a keeper....i hope someday to meet both of you (and that lovely guitar family of yours) :beer:

ww

Childbride
April 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Warren, you made me smile. i hope that the Shiners meet you, too. :D

warren0728
April 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Warren, you made me smile. i hope that the Shiners meet you, too. :D
we will....someday! :beer:

ww

luvmyshiner
April 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
hey shiner....cb is a keeper....i hope someday to meet both of you (and that lovely guitar family of yours) :beer:

ww

Don't I know it brother!:master: And as long as I keep her drunk enough, I think she'll stick around.:D

A little off topic, but it's CB's thread so I can probably get away with it. I got divorced from my first wife (of many) when my son was in the first grade and my daughter was pre-school. You worry about them and your relationship with them. But hang in there brother. Our children are our world and things will turn out fine.:)

Childbride
April 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
:p [that was the closest icon i could come to a raspberry. ]

drunk enough. sheesh.

what was completely schweet about the deal is the kiddos hated number 2 so much that i had an in from the git.

[...]

i adore his kids. i adopted them in my heart from the moment i met them. BG is 21 today. the other is 23, going to be 24 in june. i met them much younger. they love me, i love them. we're Friends, and they heal things in my heart.

it works out pretty nifty for every one. :D

i learned pretty early in life that if you Treat Everyone Like You Want to be Treated, they often return in kind. not always, but with the Young, and the Loved... it Works.

and i love family. they mean everything to me, and i live to Connect the Dots.

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
i learned pretty early in life that if you Treat Everyone Like You Want to be Treated, they often return in kind. not always, but with the Young, and the Loved... it Works.

and i love family. they mean everything to me, and i live to Connect the Dots.

There you go, you have the start of a song!!!

piebaldpython
April 12th, 2008, 12:27 AM
: and i live to Connect the Dots.

Hey CB......does that mean you are planning to get an electric DOT to keep Odyssey company???? :rotflmao: Enjoy your vacation!!!

Childbride
April 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
o, geezly crow double heckmeister on a popsicle stick...

the lesson went well, but forget ONE song a week, i have to be able to do a fourteen song set... and over the next six weeks, we may sincerely be talking two... leads, riffs, chords, the works... and some of the songs have a 'double lead'... and i'm going to be learning how to 'double strum?' is that right? so now i have to go research thin picks, which i have never used, so i can accomplish this feat... [any help, guys and gals?] the set thusfar is as follows... but missing five more songs...

1) Just Call Me Lonesome

2) Amarillo By Mornin'

3) Guitar Boogie

4) There He Goes

5) I Fall to Pieces

6) Silver Wings

7) Your Cheatin' Heart

8) Waltz Across Texas

9) Spanish Eyes

i only know 3, 6, 7, o heck, i just realized he forgot wildwood flower and i can't help it [if i'm still in love with you]

ok... ok... i can do this... i know more songs than i thought i did for the set...

please tell me i can do this!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

street music
April 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
You Can Do It! You Can Do It!

Childbride
April 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
You Can Do It! You Can Do It!

thank you, b/c i think i'm having a minor panic attack... :eek:

i cannot Let People Down... and he's depending on me. :(

sunvalleylaw
April 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
You can do it.

player
April 23rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
You can do it.

better still you Will Do It
you can,you can,we know you can
just have to tell yourself I know I can:bravo:
self doubt is a leading cause of ruts
we don't wanna go there - yes you can do it

piebaldpython
April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
You're doing it!!!!

Childbride
April 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
thanks, y'all, for the support! y'all are the best!

and when i say this next thing, it won't make any sense unless you understood the entirety of my family dynamic, but the Catalyst has Occurred.

[laugh] i talked to my mom. i told her about my minor panic attack about the gig, and she predictably says

'you can't do that...'

[i love her to death, and that was EXACTLY what i needed her to say]

o yes, i Can. and i Will. :D :D :D

Watch Me. ;)

player
April 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
thanks, y'all, for the support! y'all are the best!

and when i say this next thing, it won't make any sense unless you understood the entirety of my family dynamic, but the Catalyst has Occurred.

[laugh] i talked to my mom. i told her about my minor panic attack about the gig, and she predictably says

'you can't do that...'

[i love her to death, and that was EXACTLY what i needed her to say]

o yes, i Can. and i Will. :D :D :D

Watch Me. ;)
We'll be waiting CB ... expect a full progress report too.like mom we know you can do that http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/market_03/th_applause.gif
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/market_03/th_yougo2blink-1.gif

Katastrophe
April 25th, 2008, 07:35 AM
o, geezly crow double heckmeister on a popsicle stick...

the lesson went well, but forget ONE song a week, i have to be able to do a fourteen song set... and over the next six weeks, we may sincerely be talking two... leads, riffs, chords, the works... and some of the songs have a 'double lead'... and i'm going to be learning how to 'double strum?' is that right? so now i have to go research thin picks, which i have never used, so i can accomplish this feat... [any help, guys and gals?] the set thusfar is as follows... but missing five more songs...

1) Just Call Me Lonesome

2) Amarillo By Mornin'

3) Guitar Boogie

4) There He Goes

5) I Fall to Pieces

6) Silver Wings

7) Your Cheatin' Heart

8) Waltz Across Texas

9) Spanish Eyes

i only know 3, 6, 7, o heck, i just realized he forgot wildwood flower and i can't help it [if i'm still in love with you]

ok... ok... i can do this... i know more songs than i thought i did for the set...

please tell me i can do this!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's a great setlist, CB... We play #2 in our set. I have the utmost confidence that you can do it.

As far as picks go, just use the one that you're most comfortable with. Using different pick gauges onstage can get confusing...

Childbride
April 25th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Player, you made me :D hugely. [laugh]

Kat, thanks, buddy! and i realized that 'Fool Such as I' he forgot to list, and i'm finishing that one up already. getting calmer about this... really a Happy Thing to know that you like the set. i'm excited about learning the songs i don't know; i've heard my teacher's arrangements of them, and i'm going to be learning some cool stuff. i'm stoked. :beer:

[still leary, but ready to buckle down and get 'r done! :D :pancake: :beer: ]

warren0728
April 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
getting calmer about this... really
don't worry...there's still plenty of time to panic :eek: :D

you'll do great....i just know it!!

ww

Childbride
April 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Warren... thank you. :D :pancake:

i told Shiner he could take pics, but not record. i'm doomed to tank at least one song. but i'm going to give her heck. :D :beer: ;)

speaking of which, i'm posting in my Golden Hours. i need to go play.

out to boot camp...

k

tot_Ou_tard
April 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
The only thing I don't understand CB is why you have to play these songs in a fire ant hill.

I'll *never* figure out Texans. ;)

Childbride
April 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
The only thing I don't understand CB is why you have to play these songs in a fire ant hill.

I'll *never* figure out Texans. ;)

best not to try. ;) [giggle]

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM
and i'm going to be learning how to 'double strum?' is that right? so now i have to go research thin picks, which i have never used, so i can accomplish this feat...
Ummm, just what is double strumming?

Izzat where each stroke (either down or up) lasts a sixteenth note (assumming 4/4 time)?

You know, like:

One-ee-&-uh Two-ee-&-uh Three-ee-&-uh Four-ee-&-uh

Or is it something else?

Childbride
April 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
something like that... i have no idea if i'm using the correct terminology. think 'spanish eyes'... if that helps. :)

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
something like that... i have no idea if i'm using the correct terminology. think 'spanish eyes'... if that helps. :)
Doing so may cause me to fall in love, but otherwise won't help much. I don't know that I've ever heard Spanish Eyes.

Childbride
April 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
to my great disgust, i've not found it on youtube the way my teach strums it. so i can't give you an example.

i will keep searching.

i'm really looking forward to learning it in the arrangement he has for me. :) i love learning new things.