PDA

View Full Version : how can I...

pie_man_25
April 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM
convince the two guitarists in my band to get a metronome!

update: after a brief stint with three drummers (one of which quit drumming period and left us with his kit) has left me, the best drummer of us, to get behind the kit, and get another person for bass, however, I'm the only one with a sense of tempo, and I can't convince the two guitarists we have to stop looking for new amps and guitars and get a metronome! I keep saying, "if you get a metronome, just practice with it an hour a day, and in a week you'll barely need it!" however, them, being the people who have played guitar for less time than me, simply ignore it and keep losing count, skipping beats and speeding up, because they try to look cool more than they try to sound cool (also, we didn't make the gig at our school). What's up with these guys?!?!

M29
April 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Hello pie_man_25,

Maybe a video recorder is in order. That might show them exactly what they are doing, no disputing that. We used to record every night in one band I was in with just a cassette to hear our mistakes. Sometimes it was ok but other times....well....lets say it was.....er ah.....invigorating or ...borderline bloody:D

M

Spudman
April 9th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Record them and make them listen to it. Best way is for them to decide for themselves. That way you don't have to try to tell them anything. Oh, one time probably wont do it. It may take a couple of times of hearing themselves to get the point across. Good luck.

Even the pros use metronomes.:AOK:

t_ross33
April 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Years of backing up other musicians on bass, often being the only "beat" instrument as many of the country/folk guys didn't play with drummers, has left me with, what I thought was, a great sense of timing :whatever:

But I totally suck when playing with a metronome! It's one thing that I've been practicing, especially as I try to suss out my little lead-ish riffs. It's HARD to play in time, but it does get better with practice. Don't know how drummers can play to a click track :thwap:

Sounds like your friends need to grow up. Doesn't matter how cool you (think you) look, when your playing sucks and you are just posing, you look like a doofus. It ain't cool at all ;) YMMV.

hubberjub
April 10th, 2008, 07:41 AM
The thought of three drummers in one room playing or not makes my head hurt.

Plank_Spanker
April 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Record them and make them listen to it. Best way is for them to decide for themselves. That way you don't have to try to tell them anything. Oh, on time probably wont do it. It may take a couple of times of hearing themselves to get the point across. Good luck.

Even the pros use metronomes.:AOK:

Ditto.

Nothing like watching the tape to bring out truth and honesty time...........:D

Carlström
April 11th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I would go nuts, I'm most of the time very good with playing with people of all skill levels because as long as they stick to what they know there's no problems no matter how simple the stuff is. but if they can't keep time they are out of the band really fast.

Good luck with them, but if they don't shape up get rid of them.

pie_man_25
April 11th, 2008, 07:26 AM
The thought of three drummers in one room playing or not makes my head hurt.
no, they weren't in all at once, here's what happened:

drummer 1: came to practise high on mary jane, and knew less about his kit than I did, so he was out, and forgot to get his kit back (even more proof that drugs are bad).

drummer 2: really wasn't bad at all, but he couldn't improvise or learn a beat quickly, so he decided to quit.

drummer 3: same as #2, just couldn't jam right.

also: to those who suggested a recording, that's a good idea, I think I'm going to try doing that.