PDA

View Full Version : Behringer bass amps - or any Behringer amps

Tone2TheBone
April 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Do any of you have any experience with these amps? Good? Bad? I thought of picking up one of the Ultra Bass models (120 watt) but I've heard that there are some reliability issues with this manufacturer. Price is pretty cheap but I'm wondering if the product is as well.

ray82609
April 11th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Do any of you have any experience with these amps? Good? Bad? I thought of picking up one of the Ultra Bass models (120 watt) but I've heard that there are some reliability issues with this manufacturer. Price is pretty cheap but I'm wondering if the product is as well.

There are several of us that own Behringer amps, including one with a bx1200. They have been reliable so far. Mine is a Vintager AC-112 and is gigged with at a jam about 8hrs a week for 2 years without a problem. The problem is they're loaded with surface mount components and the schematics are only available to the warantee stations. If you want to fix it yourself, you're screwed and if you don't have a local warantee station you'll have to ship it for repair. I took mine apart and it's well built and should be reliable, but everything needs repair sooner or later.
-Ray

Tone2TheBone
April 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks Ray for your honest response. I understand the need for schematics if I was to take the unit to a local shop for repair. I assume that if I bought the product through a merchant that was authorized to sell that product, that I could ship the amp for repair through them. GC offers an extended warranty for a pretty cheap price. I might consider getting one that way. Thanks again.

Tone2TheBone
April 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Anymore responses from Behringer users?

r_a_smith3530
April 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Tone, I've heard of a couple negative issues related to either the use of cheaper pots or plastic jacks, but on the whole, the folks I've spoken to that use Behringer's have been positive about their tone, and feel that they are worth the bucks paid for them.

Tone2TheBone
April 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks Rob for replying. On the outside they seem to be "ok" amps for the price. Again...if I was only a bass player and not a guitar player then I'd be looking for a serious bassman's amp but since I'm only dabbling into it I'm being cheap. That sounds like an oxymoron though, as serious as I am about guitars in general. Anyway Robert Renman was considering this product as well so at least I'm in good company.

r_a_smith3530
April 12th, 2006, 11:57 PM
For what you're talking about, I believe the Behringer should do you just fine Tone. It's a good amp for the dollars asked. There's guys gigging with them.

Hey yeah, are you talking about getting a combo, or a head and cab?

Tone2TheBone
April 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM
The Ultrabass amp that I want is the combo. Single 12 inch speaker (aluminum cone). It's wedge shaped like a monitor which is part of it's appeal to me. I can angle the amp up diagonally toward me if I want. 120 watts. A 15 inch speaker would probably be better but I like portability.

r_a_smith3530
April 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah Tone, that should do you just fine, especially to "dabble" with. 120 watts is plenty of juice, and a 12" speaker is a nice compromise between a pair of tens and a single fifteen.

Me? The "ultra" bass amp I want is a head. It's a 400 watt Peavey Classic. Tone Deluxe! This thing will leave an Ampeg SVT-CL in the dust!!! :R