PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite current Marshall amp?

Robert
April 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Which of the current Marshalls do you like best and why?

The ones I know about from the current offerings:
http://www.marshallamps.com/product_overview.asp

Vintage Modern
JVM
TSL
DSL
Hand-wired
Vintage Series
Vintage

I probably missed some. Let us hear what you think!

mrmudcat
April 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Robert ive been eyeing a vintage modern in 50 watt version.I will be putting together a 50 watt plexi 1986 bass model from ceriatone first!!!(It will have a effects loop built into the circuit):master:

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM
The Vintage Modern seems like a good one. I haven't seen any in town yet though so I don't know what they sound like.

Here's a vid of one. Great saturation.

-tpYkB88d0Y

SuperSwede
April 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
The Vintage Modern amps sounds wicked.. highly recommended!

Another favorite amp of mine is the JCM 800/900 series.. incredible tone! And now available in the Vintage Series.

sunvalleylaw
April 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I have never played through one so cannot say. I like the looks on paper of the VM 50w combo, but wish it had the 25/50 option like Tone's does. Not that I am buying anyhow, just sayin.

abraxas
April 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'd say, the 2061X and the 1974X:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2061X

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1974X

Apart from their "cheap" transformers, of which you should probably need a replacement in a year or so :D they are as close to vintage Marshalls as you are going to get. Pure tone without the hype.

Ok, perhaps I'm exaggerating the transformer issue, but the same was true for the older Marshalls as well.

The Vintage Modern seems very nice also. I had the option of getting a 100W head for a very nice price a while back, but finally decided that, if I ever get a Plexi, it will definitely be an expensive clone (line the Germino or Metropoulos clones).

marnold
April 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I like the sound of that Vintage Modern a lot. The price tag? Not so much.

hubberjub
April 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I like the 1974 and the 2061 but would probably go with a JTM45 or a bluesbreaker. The VM is cool but I'm not a fan of master volume amplifiers. There is nothing finer than hearing power tubes sing.

Spudman
April 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I have a JMP 50 and it's probably pretty good but I've heard a couple JCM 800s that I really liked. I don't think they were stock though.

markb
April 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'd say, the 2061X and the 1974X:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2061X

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1974X

Apart from their "cheap" transformers, of which you should probably need a replacement in a year or so :D they are as close to vintage Marshalls as you are going to get. Pure tone without the hype.

Ok, perhaps I'm exaggerating the transformer issue, but the same was true for the older Marshalls as well.
<snip>

My choices too although a Bluesbreaker would be nice if I ever got to turn it up enough :)

Early Marshalls were a mess of odd components. There are lots of stories out there about "fakes" that turned out to be genuine because Marshall were short of transformers and got whatever they could from the Edgware Road retailers to meet orders.

ZMAN
April 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
That Vintage Modern 2266c sounds great. If you went with the 2266 head, what reasonably priced cab would you get for it. Would a 1/12, or 2/12 be good with this amp. I don't have a lot of space and I only play at home?

TS808
April 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
That Vintage Modern 2266c sounds great. If you went with the 2266 head, what reasonably priced cab would you get for it. Would a 1/12, or 2/12 be good with this amp. I don't have a lot of space and I only play at home?

I only play at home these days too, and in my opinion, tube amps just don't get used at their fullest potential at home (unless you have very cool neighbors who don't mind you playing loud). A 5w amp or something to that effect would be cool, but honestly, my Vibrolux and Bluesbreaker sound their best at moderate to high volumes, which I rarely get to do.

For home use (and I thought I'd never say this) it's becoming more apparent to me that a low wattage tube amp, a modeler, or solid state is really the way to go.

I just bought a Marshall MG series and am surprised at how good the tones are for a solid state and it works well at home. I've owned tube amp combos and a head with a 212 cab, and it was just way too loud for me...

Just my 2 cents.

Katastrophe
April 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I like the sound of Tone's Jubilee amph. Nice sound for screamin' solos.:AOK:

Any Marshall that gets that hotrodded, overdriven tone I'm a fan of, really.

ZMAN
April 21st, 2008, 06:00 AM
I am lucky in the fact that both my neighbours are usually not home during the day, and I have no backyard neighbours. I ususally play my 65 deluxe between 5 and 8 on the volume. I don't have any Marshalls amps and have never played through them. I would like to get that Marshall overdriven tone.
I am not sure whether the solid states can mimic the tone. The local price for a Vintage Modern combo would be about 1800.
The solid state amps are about 1/3 that price so I am wondering if they are true to the Marshall sound?

F_BSurfer
May 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
On Saturday I played a vintage modern half stack very sweeeeeeeeeet it would be my favorite