PDA

View Full Version : Fender or Gibson??

Ger the man
April 10th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hi all,
Im in the market for a new guitar and cannot decide between a deluxe strat or a les standard. I already have a highway 1 strat which I intend to trade for the new guitar.

1)If I buy the deluxe strat will it feel like getting my old one back again? (Better parts I know, but will it be that much different?)

2) Are les paul's that much different from strats? Ive never owned one and do not want to part with a lot of cash since reading about the alleged quality issues, and headstocks that have a nasty habit of breaking.

Cheers

ZMAN
April 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I have a MIA deluxe Strat and it is a wonderful instrument. The Gibson Les Paul it also a wonderful instrument. I have an Epi Elitist Les paul and a Gibson Studio. My only regret is that I didn't wait and buy a Standard. I really like the Studio but the neck is a little thicker, (50s) than I would like. And I really like guitars with bound necks. I may down the road move up to a standard.
As far as workmanship is concerned. Mine was flawless. Everything works perfectly and it looks amazing I only paid 1099 including a Gibson case. If you don't want to spend a lot a Studio might be good, or even a Vintage Mahogany (899 at MF). They come with the BB pros in them.
If at all possible try both neck profiles first. 50s vs 60s.
You will love the humbuckers they just have so many tones that are a little richer than the strat. But I still love them both.

Ger the man
April 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Cheers ZMAN, I tried a studio last year but didnt do much for me, like yourself I would prefer the standard. At the moment its looking like a fender because of the headstock problem.

ZMAN
April 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Headstock problem? I have owned 4 Les Paul style guitars, I own an SG, and and ES335 and a Sheraton. All of them have the same headtstock and I really haven't had any issues. If you are doing the mail order thing there is a possiblitly that your guitar will arrive damaged. But that isn't just restricted to Gibsons. Spudman had a Tele style guitar delivered and the neck had pulled right out of the screws attaching it to the body.
Also there is a great deal on at MF. They are selling a Gingerburst Standard, that is a gorgeous color, for 1995 on the net and if you have a flyer from them it was at 1799. Save 5 to 700 dollars.

just strum
April 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
IMO you need to look at the music you most often play and then go to the music store and play both to see how each fits with your style and taste. You are talking about two different sounds, different pups. If possible, I would take the amp that you most often use to the store or plug it into one there if they have the same amp. Personally I don't think this is a "what's the better guitar?", but more "what's the better guitar for you?".

I have a Fender Strat and an Ibanez ACR300 (basically an LP) and at different times I like one more than other. To be honest, if I had no guitars right now and was going out to buy just one, I would probably buy a Dot or an ES335.

aeolian
April 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I see that you have 2 guitars with single coil pickups, if you get another Strat you still have guitars with single coil pickups. So as far as I am concerned the difference is whether you want a humbucker sound in your guitar selection. If you like that variety then a Standard could be a good way to go.

The other factor is whether you just want to stick with Fenders and Gibsons. I used to own a Les Paul Custom but I sold it a few years ago because I have another humbucker guitar which in my opinion is far better than the LP I had. If your decision is to add a humbucker guitar to your collection there are other manufacturers to consider, e.g. Hamer, Heritage, and Godin. These are a few just off the top of my head.

sunvalleylaw
April 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
IMO you need to look at the music you most often play and then go to the music store and play both to see how each fits with your style and taste. You are talking about two different sounds, different pups. If possible, I would take the amp that you most often use to the store or plug it into one there if they have the same amp. Personally I don't think this is a "what's the better guitar?", but more "what's the better guitar for you?".

I have a Fender Strat and an Ibanez ACR300 (basically an LP) and at different times I like one more than other. To be honest, if I had no guitars right now and was going out to buy just one, I would probably buy a Dot or an ES335.

yeah, what he said, except if I was starting over, I would still go strat. You have a strat, but you intend to trade it in. Go play and see what you like and what fits the music you like. I went strat for first electric, but that was me. If I was adding, I would add and LP type. But Ii would not get rid of my strat.

abraxas
April 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Have you played any LP type guitars already? In relation with Fender type instruments, we are really talking apples and oranges here.

The LP type instruments have a shorter scale, they are set neck and have fixed bridges and humbucker pickups. Be prepared to have a totally different amp setup with a LP: they naturally have more low end, more sustain and a darker sound.

If you find you're comfortable with you Highway 1, and you only need the humbucker sound, perhaps a "superstrat" type guitar (with a humbucker at the bridge position) is what you are after. Personally, I've played very few LPs (and I mean even expensive Gibsons) that had acceptable tone at the neck position; too much mud and lack of punch. I must emphasize the "personally" in the above remark. I also played a few LPs that were totally awesome and, although I don't have such a guitar at the moment, I wouldn't be negative if I came by an instrument that made the difference for me (alas, they are quite expensive...).

If I were you (which I'm not, so take this with a bucket of salt please), I'd do something simpler: I'd install a bridge humbucker in my Highway. Or, if I wanted something better overall, I'd trade it for a HSS equipped Strat. In other words I'd postpone a LP purchase for my third guitar. ;)

That said, I got my first electric at age 13, and up to 17 (when I bought my first expensive, "Superstrat" style guitar), I only played LP copies. It took me less than a couple of weeks to get accustomed to the longer scale, faster attack, etc. of my new guitar. That is to say, don't hesitate to change, if you determine this is what you really want and need. ;)

Brian Krashpad
April 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Here's my 2 cents, I'm a Tele/LP guy though so consider the source.

First, they are indeed very different guitars, HBs versus singles, setneck versus bolt, alder/ash versus mahogany+maple, different scale length...

Second, unless you like to really go crazy onstage or something, do not be overly concerned about the headstock issue. Yes, one has to be more careful with a setneck, but with a modicum of safety nothing's going to happen. I will admit I had similar concerns before getting my first setneck years ago, and despite the fact that I do sometimes get rather rambunctious onstage, I've never snapped a neck or headstock yet (knocks on wood). In fact, I can remember (albeit hazily) chucking an SG (which are even less sturdy than LP's!) onto a wooden-floored stage once, with enough force to shear off a tuning-peg head, and still didn't harm the guitar. Not that I encourage such foolhardiness, but the point being that setnecks are not quite as dainty as some would have you believe.

If you want something different from your current Strat, go LP. If you want a better/more expensive Strat (yes they'll sound pretty similar) go for the MIA Strat.

They're both great guitars so you can't go really wrong here.

Plank_Spanker
April 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Ger,

The headstocks on Gibsons brook no abuse, but they're not a problem. You just don't throw the guitars around.

There are major differences between Les Pauls and Strats as have been posted here. They feel, play and sound world's apart from each other. They're both great models, but they each have their own niche that they fill.

Get out and play some. It's the only way to arrive at a good decision. Let your hands, ears and eyes be the judge.

Good Luck!