PDA

View Full Version : Master Carpenters!! How hard to fix this??

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Since I know zilch-point-diddly-squat about woodworking, I'd like some opinions from some of you master carpenters (you know who you are!).

Check out this Epi G400 Deluxe with a broken neck up for bid on the 'Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160226741878

There are some larger versions of the photos HERE (http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/my202/312sg23.JPG?vvid=3291051&allow_track_link=1&track=023a4ed83c-92bd&sp=1&vsid=1&vgp=1&vimgs=312sg22.JPG,312sg23.JPG,312sg24.JPG,312sg25. JPG,312sg26.JPG,312sg27.JPG,312sg28.JPG,312sg30.JP G#).

Does this look like a difficult repair? Would I reasonably be able to do it myself or should it be taken to a pro? If the latter, what would it likely cost to repair?

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Doesn't come with a case? No wonder it broke on him!

Algonquin
April 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I don't know DVM... seems like a tremendous leap of faith that it could ever be made right again. It looks like the winning bid plus shipping will be over $200, then you still have the repair to do.

The Epi G-400 goes for about $309.95 at major stores here in Southern Ontario. The Blue finish is nice, but I'm pretty sure you'd be swapping the p/u's out sooner or later anyway.

Good luck on this one...

Cheers,
David

abraxas
April 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I'd say, don't even bother.

Having seen similar damage on a couple of guitars, in a good friend's shop, I'd say it is something for a VERY competent musical instrument technician.

I'm quoting my friend here: To be safe, one has to to completely remove the neck join, along with all the glue and do something similar to human joint reconstruction surgery. One has to remove all splinters, route "channels" and two (usually) additional long pieces of wood should be glued inside those channels. This is done to strengthen the joint. They usually use a kind of epoxy that actually bonds stronger than wood itself.

After that, the neck will be really strong but at what expense tone-wise?

I'd do that only if it was a valuable instrument or a guitar with great sentimental value to me. Needless to say, it is an extremely expensive procedure.

Algonquin
April 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I just surfed a reputable repair shop in Toronto that lists Neck Re-Sets (Includes Minimum Dress and Set-Up) for Gibson and Other Styles at $500 - $600.00 and Up. This doesn't seem like a DIY job to me...

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Sounds like nothing I'd want to bite off on a $400 guitar. I was just curious about what would be involved. The seller, not surprisingly, portrays it as an easy fix. I suspected it was much more than that, and your comments appear to confirm my suspicions. Thanks, guys....

luvmyshiner
April 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm going to have to throw in with Abraxas on this one. Though I've never personally done either repair, everything I've read indicates that there's a lot more to repairing the neck than there is to gluing a broken headstock.

sumitomo
April 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Two words duct tape.:beavisnbutthead:Sumi

luvmyshiner
April 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Don't forget the tee nuts!:bravo:

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Then I should look for one of those silver SG's to match! ;)

mrmudcat
April 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Personally it is a hard fix in my opinion for a guitar not worth it . Again my opinion.:beer:

It could be fixed quickly and easy,but I bet not good enough except for slide.Best to remove all wood from pocket and replace neck or modify, shim,etc. etc. what you have.But as stated not on this.I only got my real gibson sg for $200:dude:(broke headstock)

just strum
April 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
DVM, I've been watching this seller since you and I discussed the Epi amp and the people that bid on these guitars seem to bid them up beyond any good deals. For some reason they have an initial surge of bids with 4 or 5 days to go and then near the end. I watched a few guitars for about a week and noticed that it was the same people bidding and a lot of people with no previous purchases or maybe one or two.

I have yet to see a guitar close at what would be considered a good deal.

mrmudcat
April 10th, 2008, 10:03 PM
2 initials with these***** in the middle is fake bidders trust me on this!;) ;)

I am wrong about this check below.

Mark
April 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM
DVM thats Fire***wood

Tone2TheBone
April 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Good eye Mudster.

mrmudcat
April 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM
To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and protect our members from fraudulent emails, eBay has changed how User IDs display on the bid history page. Only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID, all other members will see anonymous user IDs, such as x***y.

So this explains the craziness ive been seeing lately.Cant believe I just found out about this.Here lately ive been thinking they must be fake bidders.:thwap: So I humbly eat some crows pie on my mistatement.:whatever:

Blaze
April 11th, 2008, 05:59 AM

Here s an exemple that what Duck Tape can do for you..

b61f6bAuytw

Blazes:D

duhvoodooman
April 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Here s an exemple that what Duck Tape can do for you..

Blazes:D
To quote Warren, "Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!"

Thanks one and all for your replies. I figured a project like this would be more work & expense than it was worth, but I wanted confirmation from those more learned in woodworking than I (which is pretty much everybody). I shall avoid that guitar like the bubonic plague....

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and protect our members from fraudulent emails, eBay has changed how User IDs display on the bid history page. Only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID, all other members will see anonymous user IDs, such as x***y.

So this explains the craziness ive been seeing lately.Cant believe I just found out about this.Here lately ive been thinking they must be fake bidders.:thwap: So I humbly eat some crows pie on my mistatement.:whatever:

I wouldn't be so quick to eat some crows pie, I still think there is something that isn't right about the bidding on some of these items. The activity just seems to start far too early on a lot of their items and many of those bidders disappear very early. I could be wrong and if that is the case, save at least a slice for me.

Bloozcat
April 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
You know, I've always wondered about some of the E-bay auctions I've followed.

What's to stop a seller from having dummy user names that he uses to bid up items? If he gets "caught" and one of the dummy names wins, what's he out? The auction fee? But if he plays it right and gets some poor sucker to bite once the bidding frenzy has been established, he stands to make a lot more on the auction. Seems like the numbers could favor a strategy like this on average if the guy's slick enough.

Maybe it's just me being paranoid about it, I don't know. I've only bought on E-bay, not sold, Perhaps there's someone here who can comment on the feasibility of something like this.

Anyway, I already PM'd DVM on my opinion on this "easily repaired" guitar. It's a real crap shoot that's probably not worth taking a chance on...unless it was a real steal deal (which it no longer is).

mrmudcat
April 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Brother Blooz that dummy bidding happens alot on fleabay:rotflmao:

Although I myself would not do it and I have only one ebay username:AOK: I have had this scam tried on me a few times but ive just cancelled my bid and stated why.............most will let it quietly die at that!;)