PDA

View Full Version : Santana Tonight!!

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM
He's appearing at the Times Union Center here in Albany. My son and I have great seats right near the satge. And the opening act is The Derek Trucks Band! Should be a great evening of guitar playing!! :rockon: :dude:

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
WHAT?! When did this happen? And you just decided to spring it on us now?!?!?! :O

Have fun. Wear something tie dye.

ZMAN
April 10th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I will be driving by on my way to Maine tomorrow. I will wave!.
Sounds like an awsome concert.
I bet there will be a big run on SG guitars, in your area after DT plays.

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
.....I bet there will be a big run on SG guitars, in your area after DT plays.

:thwap: So that explains it. ;)

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I bet there will be a big run on SG guitars, in your area after DT plays.
I'm pretty sure he plays mostly PRS guitars these days. But I'll report back with the details!

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
He meant Derek Voo. And that explains the recent SG gas I'll repeat.

warren0728
April 10th, 2008, 03:12 PM
oh man santana and derek trucks...that is gonna be one heck of a guitar heaven concert. enjoy!! :beer:

ww

duhvoodooman
April 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
He meant Derek Voo. And that explains the recent SG gas I'll repeat.
Geez! :thwap: Of course he did! I was thinking about Carlos and how he started out palying an SG. Ya gotta remember, I'm a child of the 60's, so I remember that stuff.

Nah, no SG gas, honest. Just stumbled across that while looking at something else on eBay. I do like those transparent blue Deluxes, though. Was tempted to buy one when MF had 'em on sale for $300 back in Feb....

sunvalleylaw
April 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Sweeet! Maybe even lovely Susan Tedeschi might come out for a cameo with her hubby Derek. Enjoy!

just strum
April 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Santana was one of my early concerts (72-73) great show - you are probably enjoying this as I write.

Another example of living in a cave - who are The Derek Trucks Band? Time to Google.

sunvalleylaw
April 10th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I have seen Santana once, when he opened for the Grateful Dead in '88 in Tacoma. I have to say, he kicked the Dead's collective butt. I wasn't on what most of the crowd was on though, so maybe they heard things I didn't. Even accounting for that, Santana's sound and performance was so much better that night.

EDIT: I didn't mean to come off as dumping on the Dead so much. It is just that after Santana, the style of music and the sound didn't reach me that night. I bet they would have sounded better outdoors. The Tacoma Dome is a hard place for bands to get the sound right. I am sure Vood is in for a great show.

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I predict major major guitar gas after tonight's concert. You're doomed Voo...you're doomed. :)

Algonquin
April 10th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I can only say you get what you payoty for... :D

Spudman
April 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Another example of living in a cave - who are The Derek Trucks Band? Time to Google.

Good thing you joined the forum or you'd just be listening to bat screeching for years to come.:D

Derek plays with the Allman Brothers these days. I got to hang out and play Foosball and mix his band on his 18th birthday. That was a treat for me.

helliott
April 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Can't wait for a report on this show. If Albany was a bit closer I'd be there. Santana, speaks for himself. DTB, amazing and improving. Got prime Clapton tickets for Ontario Place May 27 and still hoping Derek plays with the band since Greg Allman is under the weather and the ABB can;t do their usual tour plan. I'll take EC and Doyle, but Derek would be an amazing addition (see DT and EC in Chicago on Crossroads 07)
But, I couldn't swing Carlos this time, Lots of details, please

warren0728
April 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
i caught clapton this past year with derek trucks in his band and man what derek can do with an sg...his fingers and a slide....blew me away! doyle was there too but derek overshadowed him in my opinion....

robert cray opened and it was the first time i had seen him live and was impressed....

can't wait to hear reports from tonight's show!

ww

mrmudcat
April 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM

We seriously need to talk:poke: :thwap: :whatever: :D

Hit me up if ya want the history on this phenom:master:

Ive got some stories /secrets of my own about DTB

Also if you want ill send ya a lil surprise when I send strat parts ive not forgot I promise.:rockon:

Tone2TheBone
April 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM
So Voodoo how was the show???

warren0728
April 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
where the heck is voodoo....i want to hear all about the show.....don't see how you can go wrong with derek trucks and santana :rockon:

ww

luvmyshiner
April 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Man, how did I miss this?? Voodoo give us a report already!

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Good thing you joined the forum or you'd just be listening to bat screeching for years to come.:D

That's one of the big reasons that I joined this forum.

We seriously need to talk:poke: :thwap: :whatever: :D

Hit me up if ya want the history on this phenom:master:

Ok, before I get laughed right back to "you know where", I was well aware of the Allman Brothers since 1972, but never really followed them or purchased any of their music. A friend of mine that I grew up with recorded Whipping Post on a Cleveland area album and he turned me on to them. My cousin recorded Hey Joe on a album of Columbus groups and he turned me on to Hendrix.

My heavy interest in recording artists probably lasted until maybe the late 70's/early 80's and then I pretty much listened to music up to that point (no, not the Carpenters).

luvmyshiner
April 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I pretty much listened to music up to that point (no, not the Carpenters).

Barbarian . . . :saw:

sumitomo
April 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Heck when I was in high school I use to make bongs (that was the limit of my woodworking,bamboo)and the Allman bros was what we were listin too all the time named my company after a song of theirs Blue Sky Bong Co.,I use to tell the teachers they were vietnamese flower pots.Sumi :D

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I use to tell the teachers they were vietnamese flower pots.Sumi :D

heh heh, I use to make them out of chemistry equipment, told my friends mother they were coffee pots for camping.:D

sumitomo
April 11th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Now I understand the term space camp.:rotflmao: Sumi

Tone2TheBone
April 12th, 2008, 12:17 AM
The suspense is killing us! :saw: :p

just strum
April 12th, 2008, 06:41 AM
The suspense is killing us! :saw: :p

Good point, my mind started to wander and I was getting the munchies. So, how was the show???

ZMAN
April 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Duvoodoo. I should have been paying more attention on I 90 at Albany. When I turned to wave on my way by a Turkey smashed into our windshield, yes a 20 lb turkey as we were going 65 miles an hour. Demolished my windshield.
See my write up in OPEN MIC

Tone2TheBone
April 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Musta not been that good of a show then? :confused:

ZMAN
April 14th, 2008, 06:28 AM
He is still out trying to find a red sg.

Spudman
April 14th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Strange. He goes to a show then vanishes. You don't suppose they thought he was a groupie and are holding him hostage on the bus do you?

warren0728
April 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
are holding him hostage on the bus do you?
naw....probably the other way around! :whatever:

ww

sumitomo
April 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Duvoodoo. I should have been paying more attention on I 90 at Albany. When I turned to wave on my way by a Turkey smashed into our windshield, yes a 20 lb turkey as we were going 65 miles an hour. Demolished my windshield.
See my write up in OPEN MIC
Hey ZMAN ya got any of that turkey left Im hungry.:D Sumi

duhvoodooman
April 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Okay, okay! I am woefully remiss in posting this 4 days after the event, so my apologies, but here's my synopsis of the show:

First, I was surprised to see that the entire second tier of seats in the Times Union Center (which is basically a basketball/hockey arena, capacity = 17,500) was curtained off, so nearly half of the arena hadn't even been sold. The remaining half was about 3/4 full, so maybe 6,000 people total. I really thought the show would attract a much bigger turnout. In general, it was an older crowd--plenty of 50-somethings, many folks in the 30's/40's range, but few younger than that. For those not in attendance....their loss!

The show started promptly, with Derek Trucks & his band taking the stage a few minutes after 7 PM. While I'm not familiar with his band's material, it was a very enjoyable performance, mixing elements of southern rock, blues, jazz and even a little gospel. Man, that boy can just flat play, particularly when the glass bottle goes on his finger. I really think at this point in his career he's approaching the slide mastery of an Allman, Cooder or Landreth, albeit in his own style. The rest of the band is solid, too, with a soulful singer, keyboards, bass, drums, and congas/percussion. A high point was an extended jam based upon Greensleeves when Carlos Santana joined him on stage, and the two traded soaring solos. Tasty stuff. Derek played for about 50 minutes, and then ceded the spotlight to the old master.

Carlos and his band hit the stage about 8:30 and immediately had the crowd on their feet with a rousing opening performance of Jingo. I haven't found a set list posted yet, but the selections included a lot of his older stuff, to the delight of this older crowd. Included were Incident at Neshabur, Batuka/No One to Depend On, Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen, Oye Como Va, Everybody's Everything and an extended version of Soul Sacrifice as an encore. Of my personal favorites, only Toussaint L'Overture was missing. Newer material was mixed in throughout, including the late 90's hit Smooth. Returning the favor, Carlos brought out Derek Trucks to jam on a couple of numbers near the end of the show.

While Santana may now be in his early 60's, I couldn't see any deterioration of his skills whatsoever; he's playing as well as he ever has. I suspect this is a reflection of his spirituality and reputation for clean living. He clearly has tremendous energy and intensity, which was evident throughout the 2+ hour set he played. The entire band is absolutely first rate across the board, with two excellent vocalists, a terrific keyboard player, a just flat amazing rhythm section, and even a couple of great horn men. The drummer, Dennis Chambers, deserves special mention; his solo during Soul Sacrifice was among the most amazing I've ever heard....and I'm not generally a big fan of drum solos!

Speaking of spirituality, he spoke for a few minutes after the first few songs, commenting on the need for peace and healing in our world. He even extended best wishes to Eliot Spitzer and his family, praying for their healing from the recent scandal. He managed to do this in a sincere and believable way, with out coming across as corny or preachy, and the crowd's reaction to his comments was very positive.

For you fellow gear-hounds, Carlos played no less than six different PRS guitars during the evening, all of them just stunningly gorgeous instruments. My favorite was an emerald green one that was to die for! Couldn't tell what all he was playing through, though it obviously included a Mesa Boogie, and I understand he also has a Dumble head he typically uses for cleaner tones. His use of pedals seemed quite minimal; only a wah pedal and a delay were clearly audible to me.

So, all in all, an excellent show--one of the best I have seen in recent years. If Santana comes to a venue near you, I strongly recommend that you go see this legend of the guitar while he is still at the height of his considerable powers.

warren0728
April 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
So, all in all, an excellent show--one of the best I have seen in recent years. If Santana comes to a venue near you, I strongly recommend that you go see this legend of the guitar while he is still at the height of his considerable powers.
thanks for the review...i agree if you get a chance to see carlos...do it! i saw him several years ago and it was an incredible show...and if derek is with him that is a double header not to miss! :bravo: :beer:

ww

helliott
April 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Terrific report! I sure wish he was playing someplace near here, Buffalo Rochester or something, but no such luck. Oh well, still holding on to slight hope that Derek joins up with EC for his mini-tour that stops in TO May 27. The guitar prodigy son and me have great seats.
Thanks again for this great review:AOK: