PDA

View Full Version : The Best or a Fretters Recommendation.

just strum
April 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Before you think "oh no, not another best thread". This is more of a recommendation thread that will help direct people to a good CD of an artist they never heard of or maybe an artist they heard, but never purchased one of their CD's. There is no right or wrong.

I am not one that knows a lot of the artists discussed on this site. I am more one that knows the music and artists that are or were popular. However, there are those that never purchased the music of these artist or may have never heard of them (or younger fretters).

So the idea is to name a artist or artists, recommend one of the CD's, a little reason why you recommended it. At the end of your recommendations you can note what music you are interested in hearing more of, whether it be a style or a specific artist. If someone wants to focus on that recommendation, they can post some recommendations.

I'm hoping this thread will get a lot of activity bacause the idea is to help/lead fretters to good music.

Ok, some of the well known artist to most:

Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street, Rock/Blues. I can listen to this CD over and over and often leave it in the CD player for 3 or 4 play complete plays. A great picture of the true Stones that displays their blues roots.

The Clash: London Calling, Rock/Reggae A collection of short songs that display their love for Reggae. It's not a Raggae CD, but the songs contain a flavor of Raggae. Good lyrics and I feel every song on the CD is worth listening to.

Elvis Costello: My Aim Is True, Rock/Pop? As a big fan of the two minute song, this CD tops the list. Great driving beat mixed in with a couple of slower songs. This was Elvis Costello's first American release and although he released other good music, for me this one was never topped.

Dire Straights, Brothers in Arms Yes, this has there hit Money for Nothing and Walk of Life, but there are other songs on here that got little or no airplay. It demonstrates Mark Knopfler's ability to do more with less. Clean notes strategically placed in the songs that are very appealing to listen to and get a better understanding how to approach more with less.

Now for what I am looking for in the way of recommendations: Blues guitarist, both new and older artists. I would like to hear some recommendations on Mark Knopfler solo work.

street music
April 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Just Strum, good idea. I'm not much into the modern pop-rap-rock or what ever it is they call it.
I would suggest Kenny Wayne Shepherd for blues.
Uriah Heep-The Magician's Birthday, some pretty far out music at that time.
Gerry Rafferty- Right Down The Line
Deep Purple- Perfect Strangers
Eagles- Hell Freezes Over
John Mellencamp- Words & Music- just flat out great.
The Hollies- Greatest Hits- great early rock & roll .
Cross Canadian Ragweed- Purple one of my favorites right out of that Texas area.
Rob McNurlin- Cowboy Boot Heel- visit www.robmcnurlin.com
this guy has toured the country for years, recorded in the Cash studio, much like Bob Dylan but with a country flare. He is a great guy that really has become a good friend. He has been featured on PBS and continues to tour each year play the Woody Guthrie tributeshow in OK.

It doesn't hurt to break out a bit, I still listen to a huge mix of music.

Kodiak3D
April 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Joe Satriani's "Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock":
Satriani is an amazing technical guitarist to begin with. He's trained many other guitarists (Kirk Hammet of Metallica and Steve Vai to name a couple). Some good music to be found here.

Led Zeppelin's "Mothership":
OK, I know everyone has heard of this one, but it really is a great pair of CD's. "Achilles Last Stand" to me is one of the greatest guitar songs of all time.

Blue Oyster Cult's "Extraterrestrial Live":
Great in general, but the guitar solo in "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" bears hearing. Here's a youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrd2xf5DIlU

just strum
April 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I don't want this to drift into a "My favorite CD or Artist" so what we are looking for is a little description of the music and a mention of what attracts you to the CD. Nothing elaborate, it's not a review, it's a recommendation so money is spent wisely on music. It is also with the idea of fretters getting something from the music in the way of music style.

peachhead
April 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM
One suggestion for blues guitar- Roy Buchanan. I don't even know if you could find anything besides the Anthology which is a double set, but it was worth whatever I paid for it. Personally, I can't get enough good slide guitar, and this set wipes me out every time I hear it.

Spudman
April 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Just go back through the "have you heard" threads. We've mentioned a lot of artists and there are links to some of the music.

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Just go back through the "have you heard" threads. We've mentioned a lot of artists and there are links to some of the music.

True, but what would I be looking for? The idea of this thread is to direct people to different artists based on what the poster feels would provide the best example of the artists music.

Plus, there are a lot of new people that may have something to offer, this thread gives them that opportunity.

marnold
April 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Joe Bonamassa "You and Me" I think this album best showcases his talents. While I like his newest "Sloe Gin" quite a bit too, there's more acoustic on that which makes it a mellower album. "You and Me" has more of an edge to it. Check out the first two tracks and his cover of Zep's "Tea for One" in particular.

Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime" This is what a metal concept album should be. Great story, great writing, great playing. It's my all-time favorite album, so that should say something right there.

For a Mark Knopfler suggestion, check out "Sailing to Philadelphia" especially the title track and "What It Is."

aeolian
April 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
My recommendations are based on possibly overlooked artists, new and old:

Thievery Corporation Their music is a mix of Middle Eastern, raggae, electronica and dance. May not be your cup of tea, but I think their song writing is very strong. The two CDs I recommend are: The Mirror Conspiracy and The Richest Man In Babylon.

Squeeze One of the best song writing teams ever in my opinion. Sweets From A Stranger has some of the best storytelling songs with great hooks all over.

Simply Red Picture Book has great songs, tremendous vocals, and first rate instrumentation and production. One of my favorite CDs to listen to.

Spudman
April 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Anysley Lister is a good bluesy rock artist.

Eric Gales is a very soulful funky bluesy player.

Anything by the Arc Angles - SRV's backing band with Doyle Bramhall and Charlie Sexton on guitars and vocals.

Los Lonely Boys is good Texican soul

Govt. Mule is Warren Haynes on guitar and has an Allman flavor

Really go to the 'have you heard' section - copy some names - go to you tube and see what you think. You might find other artists fit your tastes as well.

Aeolian mentions Thievery Corporation which is some excellent chill out music and I like Ozric Tentacles who are almost in the same vein too.

Ro3b
April 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
The Cramps: Stay Sick. Raw, rough, nasty, primitive, crude, and tasteless. I love it. It was a tough call choosing between this and A Date With Elvis as an album to recommend. Stay Sick gets the nod because of "Bikini Girls with Machine Guns," as well as the absolutely definitive version of "Muleskinner Blues."

The Stooges: Raw Power. One of the cornerstones of punk, just a gloriously unhinged thing. Iggy Pop's 1997 remix is the one to get: everything's redlined and it all sounds like it's going to fly to bits at any moment. This album will try to eat your Elliot Smith cds, so be careful how you store it.

Mastodon: Blood Mountain. IMHO Mastodon is just about the most interesting, challenging, and creative band in rock today, let alone in metal. Standouts on this album are "Colony of Birchmen," "Capillarian Crest" for Brent Hines' amazing bluegrass-banjo-esque guitar solo, "Bladecatcher" because it's just so absolutely strange, and actually the whole rest of the album.

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
The Cramps:
[B]The Stooges: Raw Power. One of the cornerstones of punk, just a gloriously unhinged thing. Iggy Pop's 1997 remix is the one to get: everything's redlined and it all sounds like it's going to fly to bits at any moment. This album will try to eat your Elliot Smith cds, so be careful how you store it.

:rotflmao:

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Anysley Lister is a good bluesy rock artist.

Eric Gayles is a very soulful funky bluesy player.

Anything by the Arc Angles - SRV's backing band with Doyle Bramhall and Charlie Sexton on guitars and vocals.

Los Lonely Boys is good Texican soul

I checked out Anysley Lister, Los Lonely Boys, and Arc Angels and really liked all three, I couldn't find anything on Eric Gayles. The rest didn't fit my taste, talented, but not my thing.

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Switchfoot - Oh! Gravity http://www.switchfoot.com/in_index.html

Mix of modern skate music, and a kind of what I'd call prog punk. Some of it is more simple, some more complex. I like it. Great lyrics.

Dogtown and Z-Boys, Soundtrack Various Artists. http://www.amazon.com/Dogtown-Z-Boys-Various-Artists/dp/B000066F3D Many will have music from the artists on this cd, but I didn't. I good compilation of rockin' tunes.

John Mayer - Try http://www.amazon.com/John-Mayer-Trio-Live-Concert/dp/B000BJS4SU

For the fretters that don't have any Mayer yet, a good place to start. A lot of material on this live album comes from the Continuum album which I also really like, but his guitar tone is a little edgier/dirtier here and just a little more raw. Combined with the Trio, it sounds great. Nice live recordings.

warren0728
April 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
John Mayer - Try http://www.amazon.com/John-Mayer-Trio-Live-Concert/dp/B000BJS4SU

For the fretters that don't have any Mayer yet, a good place to start. A lot of material on this live album comes from the Continuum album which I also really like, but his guitar tone is a little edgier/dirtier here and just a little more raw. Combined with the Trio, it sounds great. Nice live recordings.
i have to agree...i was not a huge mayer fan until i got this cd of his.....yeah he was a pop star/teen beat idol and catches a lot of crap for it but at least he is trying to take an existing pop audience and expand their knowledge and introduce them to the blues....baby steps....maybe....but at least he is trying...and he is definitely a great player!

ww

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Just curious, a lot of what is being recommended I've heard of, but the stuff that Spud noted and a few others I never heard before. Where do you come across this music? Do the radio stations in your area play it?

That is one of the problems around here is there is really no one playing this music. We do have two alternative rock stations that play some good stuff, but they also play a lot of stuff that does nothing for me.

stingx
April 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Doyle Bramhall is an AMAZING guitarist. Arc Angels aside, I thought his playing on tour with Roger Waters for In the FLesh Live was just incredible. I love the reversed and upside-down playing of his :)

Check him out trading solos on Comfortably Numb with Snowy White. Oh, and this DVD should be in your collection. It's that good.

invo5D6SuBQ&feature=related

Spudman
April 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I checked out Anysley Lister, Los Lonely Boys, and Arc Angels and really liked all three, I couldn't find anything on Eric Gayles.

That's because I can't spell. It's Eric Gales and I spelled it Gayles. Here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Eric+gales&search_type=

SuperSwede
April 12th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Ro3b, I love Iggys Raw Power album.. one of the best albums ever!

I also have Stay Sick but I have to say that when it comes to "The Cramps" I prefer "The creature from the black leather lagoon".

street music
April 12th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I'm seeing double, better go back to bed and try this again.

just strum
April 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I'm seeing double, better go back to bed and try this again.

and I have a hankering for some gum.

birv2
April 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Blues recommendation:

Hm. There are so many guitarists, and there are so many different kinds of blues (delta, Chicago, blues-rock, west coast swing, etc.).

So here's one you don't often hear recommended: Debbie Davies. Especially try Tales from the Austin Motel. Wonderful variety of stuff, great singing clean leads, and she's backed by Double Trouble (SRV's old band).

She doesn't get nearly the recognition she should get.

Bob

Ro3b
April 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Keep the album suggestions coming, everybody. I'm going to get a lot of use out of this thread.

Spudman
April 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Chris Duarte's Texas Sugar Strat Magic and Tailspin Headwhack are both good albums to own for good Texas blues and general good guitar playing.

I've always thought Ian Moore's "And All The Colors" album is a masterpiece and his best produced record. His first two albums Ian Moore and Modern Day Folklore are better guitar slinger albums and more to the point. And All The Colors is his art album and I find it captivating.

For sheer amazingly digestible tasty and superlative guitar tones, playing, composition and production Roine Stolt's "Wall Street Voodoo" is a spectacular album.

sunvalleylaw
April 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the specific Roine Stolt rec. I like his stuff on my space, and need to get some of solo music. The Flower Kings stuff is great, and I am very interested in his own stuff.

Spudman
April 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the specific Roine Stolt rec. I like his stuff on my space, and need to get some of solo music. The Flower Kings stuff is great, and I am very interested in his own stuff.

Sounds like a hint.;) A care package is in order I can tell.

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I did check out the most of the artist and specific recordings mentioned in this thread. I have to say thanks to everyone that has read or offered their recommendation.

I have to scrape up some cash and get me at least a few of the ones recommended. I'm looking for blues material, so this thread offered some good stuff.

as Ro3b said - "Keep the album suggestions coming..."

king_petrucci
August 8th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Anything by satch. The man is a genius.

John Petrucci - Suspended Animation.
The man behind Dream Theater. This guy is one brilliant guitar player.

I dont know wat kind of music everyone is in to but for shredding, anything by Bullet For My Valentine and Dragonforce.

Also, anything by Dream Theater because they are the best band in the world!!!!

theseeker
August 8th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Great thread:bravo:

Tood Snider: Happy to be Here or Near Truths and Hotel Rooms. Great songwriter/story teller.
The Who: Who by Numbers, very under rated album, one of my favs.
Faces: The 5 disc set is fantastic but, if that's too much just pick up a best of. Listen to Ron Wood when he could actually play guitar.
Steve Earle: Train a Comin', I feel Alright or El Corazon. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Rolling Stones: As mentioned Exile on Main St. or Get Yer Ya Ya's out. Mick Taylor ownes that album::master:
Paul Weller: Stanley Road, not many people in the U.S. know about him but, he is fantastic.
Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bollocks, a really, really strong album, a few duds but over all, great.
Honorable mention to: Lucinda Williams, Robbie Fulks, Guy Clark, The Jam, Uncle Tupelo, Johnny Winter, Johnny Cash(the American series:bravo: ) ok, I'll stop now.