PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio

SuperSwede
April 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I thought that "Have you heard?" would be the appropriate section for this thread.

I am currently listening a lot to internet radio stations, and would like to share my favorites with you (and hopefully get a few new ones as well).

Smoothjazz.com is a great channel if you want to listen to that smooth´n´groovy jazz music. I have found several new artists there, and there is really a lot of great guitar work to be heard!

Sky.fm/smoothjazz is another fine smoothjazz channel that is worth a listen.

www.shoutcast.com allows you to find a LOT of streaming radio channels...

warren0728
April 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM
i like attention span radio...a mix of jazz, funk and rock from the years 1969 to the present...

http://attentionspanradio.net/

Spudman
April 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Cool links guys. Thanks.

blogan
April 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM
http://www.pandora.com gets my vote. You can choose your style of music.

warren0728
April 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
i have pandora bookmarked and use it sometimes...mostly i use itunes on my mac and just choose one of the stations....i listen to attention span radio sometimes when i'm working because it is an ecclectic blend of (mostly) instrumental stuff.

ww

SuperSwede
April 12th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks Blogan, Pandora was really cool!

warren0728
April 12th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Thanks Blogan, Pandora was really cool!
they must have one heck of a musical database with a lot of cross references to make pandora work. It is pretty impressive....:DR

ww

ray82609
April 12th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I like garageband.com it's like the old mp3.com. They have originals uploaded from the artists. Some great tunes and you can choose your genere (sp) or upload your own original songs.
-Ray

marnold
April 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM
For us aging headbangers, there's always Hard Radio (http://www.hardradio.com).

Tim
April 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks Blogan. I love the Pandora.com. I have already built my own favorites. Great for the office.

jpfeifer
April 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Pandora is really cool. I had the opportunity to visit their headquarters with the company that I work for. They have a whole staff of musicians that create their database that makes their music reccomendation engine work.

These musicians listen to music of all types and assign various attributes to the songs based on musical parameters like tempo, complexity of the chord changes, texture of the singer's voice, and instrumentation etc. These attributes for each song go into this huge database that drives their music reccomendation engine. They keep track of the songs that you like and try to find other songs in their database with similar musical attributes. This is a better way to reccomend music to people rather than just blindly reccomending other artists songs based on marketing data (ex. "users who like this song also bought artist x songs"). They try to home in on the kind of musical attributes that you like rather than only reccomending other artists in the same genre. This was all done as part of a large project called the music genome project. It's a very interesting idea.

They have so many musicians that work at Pandora that they have a stage w/ instruments at their workplace to allow musicians to jam together on their lunch hour.

-- Jim

Tim
April 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I want to work there. How can I apply?

Spudman
April 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the tip. Pandora is awesome!

r_a_smith3530
April 13th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Hey, thanks guys, you've made my week (listening to Otis Rush on Pandora as I type this)! :D

r_a_smith3530
April 13th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I want to work there. How can I apply?

At the bottom of the page, where it says "We're Hiring."