PDA

View Full Version : Finale... comments?

Childbride
April 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
i was recently conversing with a co-worker/exceptional guitarist... and we were speaking about my desire to write music.

he was telling me about Finale, which i have never seen or used.

does anyone use this software and have comments, criticism, or comparative software suggestions?

djmcconnell
April 12th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I have it and have used it quite a bit for our church worship team. Great for making charts, adding chords, and easily transposing the whole chart. It's gotten easier to use over time and I'd recommend it for serious musicians. It takes a little bit of time to learn, but a really strong application.

If you play keys, hook up your MIDI keyboard, or get a cheap USB keyboard to make tapping the notes in easier.

MakeMusic has a couple of different versions (Notepad is the less fully functional) that may meet your needs without dropping bucks for the full version. Check out their site.

Sibelius is probably the chief competitor and has its fans.

mark wein
April 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM
I use it for all of the lessons on my site as well as my book. It took me a little while to get good with it but now I have no problems using it. Some people like Sibelious or G7(?) better...

Childbride
April 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
thanks to both of you... i will do some further research...

i sincerely appreciate your help! :)

mark wein
April 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM
thanks to both of you... i will do some further research...

i sincerely appreciate your help! :)

No problem...once I got over the learning curve it was great although I think G7 might do tab better....