PDA

View Full Version : Spring has Sprung in SV!

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Temps are going up, skiing is great on the hill, and the yard is melting out. Here is the view.

http://gallery.mac.com/sunvalleylaw#100008

If you look at the pics before you click on one, you kinda get the whole view. It is time to grab the acoustic and hit the porch. Even warm enough to right now for a few before the sun goes down.

BTW, the rocky ridge that appears in the first two shots is called Carbonate, and Spudly and I rode up it last fall, along the top, and back down a drainage further west. Nice ride. The mtn. in the third is the back side of Bald Mountain, home of the Sun Valley ski area. :beer:

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Very nice:AOK: :AOK:

What are the temperatures like from mid May to late September where you're located?

luvmyshiner
April 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Sweet SV! Beautiful pics.

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys. We are blessed to live here. Strum, the temp between may and sept. varies quite a bit. May and June might be warm, but there might be some snowstorms and variable mountain type weather. May will be any where from 40's to 60's/70's during the day, then get cool, 40 or under mostly, at night. Early july is still cool, but you see more days breaking into the 80s. Late July and August get into the 80s regularly, and 90s sometimes. Once in a while, we break 100, but not often. There is usually one to three pretty hot weeks from late July into august where the 90s and up show up. Usually it cools down at night below 50, but like I said, there is that coupla week period. We try to head for the coast to see the folks around that time.

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys. We are blessed to live here. Strum, the temp between may and sept. varies quite a bit. May and June might be warm, but there might be some snowstorms and variable mountain type weather. May will be any where from 40's to 60's/70's during the day, then get cool, 40 or under mostly, at night. Early july is still cool, but you see more days breaking into the 80s. Late July and August get into the 80s regularly, and 90s sometimes. Once in a while, we break 100, but not often. There is usually one to three pretty hot weeks from late July into august where the 90s and up show up. Usually it cools down at night below 50, but like I said, there is that coupla week period. We try to head for the coast to see the folks around that time.

I like the temp range. You don't have high humidity there do you? Because of Lake Erie, we get real high humidity and when we hit mid July through mid August it is like a sauna here. Humidity usually matches the temp and the temps are in the mid 90's.

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I like the temp range. You don't have high humidity there do you? Because of Lake Erie, we get real high humidity and when we hit mid July through mid August it is like a sauna here. Humidity usually matches the temp and the temps are in the mid 90's.

Not humid here. Quite dry in fact. Sometimes almost too dry. But it does make for comfortable weather. Oh, the cold starts to return in October typically. Not that you asked but to close the loop. Winter is pretty cold, and single digit temps are common in late december/jan. But it is a dry cold, and as long as you have sun, it is more comfortable than you would think based on the temp.

EDIT: Oh, also, note the campfire sitting, guitar picking area there on the porch and patio area complete with benches and nordic ski chair. Some of you should come on over for some campfire songs one day.

warren0728
April 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Not humid here. Oh, also, note the campfire sitting, guitar picking area there on the porch complete with benches and nordic ski chair. Some of you should come on over for some campfire songs one day.
man that is tempting...we are moving quickly into the 90-100 degree range with 90-100% humidity.... :thwap:

ww

luvmyshiner
April 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Once in a while, we break 100, but not often. There is usually one to three pretty hot weeks from late July into august where the 90s and up show up.

One to three weeks???? Steve, I'll trade ya' brother. We usually hit the 100's around May or early June, and sometimes we stay there until late September or even October. I can't complain though, our winters are very sweet compared to what y'all have to put up with.:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Nah, no trade. That Pearl thing you got going looks nice, but I won't trade my spot for it. ;-) NOt that I would pass up a visit!

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Nah, no trade. That Pearl thing you got going looks nice, but I won't trade my spot for it. ;-) NOt that I would pass up a visit!

I don't blame you. My wife and I keep talking about getting out of Ohio in the near future (about 3 years). I want to go someplace where there are enjoyable warm temps (low humidity), but has visible season changes (spring and fall are great in Ohio).

I know what you mean about the cold being a lot more comfortable with a sunny day. Where I work is near Lake Erie (less than 5 miles) and I would be surprised if there is more than 30 sunny days a year.

You might be living in a location that would meet what I'm looking for. What's the job market like in Idaho? How about the cost of homes in a normal economy?

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hmm, that part is tougher here in SV. It is a resort town, and building is down so the economy is suffering right now. It is hard for the middle class and working class to live here, or at least own real estate and live here. Many commute here from the south because of the higher wages for labor type jobs, but "normal" corporate type or larger company jobs really don't exist. Cost of living, mostly housing driven is high right here. Boise is much better cost of living, and has a much better, more general economy, but is a skoche warmer. Still not humid. It also has had a building downturn, but they have more tech and other broader spectrum type jobs. Here, jobs are mostly related to the resort, or the building of and maintenance and service of second homes and homeowners at this time. I am not sure I could afford to move my family here if we had not purchased our land and built almost 10 years ago.

Northern Idaho is a bit more moist, but not what I would call humid. Spokane, WA is just off northern idaho on I-90, as is Missoula, MT, which is a college town. Eastern Idaho, near Spudman, has its own thing going too. Good cost of living, good weather, not sure about the economy. SLC, Utah, and surrounds, also has similar weather and a good economy, and better cost of living. As far as seasons, I think all of the above have a nice set of seasons. Much more distinct then my western WA/Tacoma upbringing. Western Wa, has a much more colorful spring, though. I miss the rhododendrons sometimes. We go from what I would call a late winter here, straight into a glorious early summer, with a few cherry blossoms along the way. Summer, Fall and Winter is glorious.

Spudman
April 11th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I looked at those pictures and the first thought I had was "my aching legs." That was quite a ride.
Was that grass I saw in your yard? Real grass? Looks like spring is here...even though it snowed last night.:confused:

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yah baby, spring has sprung! It is going to be warm and spring like this weekend. Then snow next week maybe! You got some last night though I hear. Spring in the mountains. Ya just never know! :D

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I looked at those pictures and the first thought I had was "my aching legs." That was quite a ride.

You mean these legs, and this ride, right? That was a fun weekend, with Stevie Guitar Miller and all.

http://gallery.mac.com/sunvalleylaw#100016

Spudman
April 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Oh no! I can't believe you took a picture of me wearing those socks. Totally the wrong color for that outfit.:)

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
You mean these legs, and this ride, right? That was a fun weekend, with Stevie Guitar Miller and all.

http://gallery.mac.com/sunvalleylaw#100016

Looks like a good time - great views.

What, no riding crocs? I figure you would have specially designed crocs with cleats.:D

I couldn't do that ride today, but some years ago I would have enjoyed it, but that's when I was riding 150 to 200 miles a week. Those days are long gone, although I did buy a used Trek late last year that I plan on using for some shorter, less endurance type riding this year.

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I am glad you are riding again. With consistency, who knows what you may end up doing.

Nope, no riding crocs. But they feel great after the ride with their cushy soft ride, after the stiff riding soles.

Spudman
April 13th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Shimano makes SPD sandals for what it's worth.