PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Guitar - Tonight!

just strum
April 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I usually play my Dot, Strat and ARC300 the night before lessons and then in the morning before I leave. I then decide on which guitar to take based on what feels and sounds good at the moment. I'm not sure how or why they change from day to day or week to week, but right now the Strat is sounding real sweet, so it is the front runner for the trip to lessons tomorrow.

A couple of weeks ago it was the Dot, it just seemed to blow the others away.

Does this happen to anyone else where there is a certain guitar that just sings to you more than the others?

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Well, I pretty much have just one electric and one acoustic at home, so it depends if I want to play electric or acoustic. But the strat almost always sings to me. The fully lives at work and is a different deal.

Spudman
April 11th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I cycle through a few different ones depending on my mood. Usually though it's always been 1 Strat, OLP Luke, Ibanez SCR 220, Epi Les Paul and the Aria STG8, and .......something else.:D Those five will usually cover everything for me.

But ya, one guitar doesn't always cut it. Sometimes one guitar gets into your soul more than another could. It's good to have options available to suit the mood.

wingsdad
April 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Depends on my mood. I reach for the one that will produce the particular electric or acoustic palette of colors or voice I need to express that mood.

SuperSwede
April 12th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I cycle through a few different ones depending on my mood. Usually though it's always been 1 Strat, OLP Luke, Ibanez SCR 220, Epi Les Paul and the Aria STG8, and .......something else.:D Those five will usually cover everything for me.

But ya, one guitar doesn't always cut it. Sometimes one guitar gets into your soul more than another could. It's good to have options available to suit the mood.

How about your Roadstar II ? It needs to be played! :)

Katastrophe
April 12th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Spud, don't you have enough guitars to make a change every week for a year? That's pretty cool, a guitar for every possible mood.

For the past year, it's been nothing but the Strat. I haven't touched my Ibby, ESP or Charvel at all. They're feeling quite neglected. I need to send 'em to a good tech for a refurb and set up.

The Strat just does everything I need it to, and does it reasonably well. I still want to mod it some with new pickups someday and a new pick guard, along with new tuners and a nut.

just strum
April 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Maybe you guys that noted your mood have the answer. A combination of playing it differently and the sound matching the mood. It seems like sometimes one or two guitars just has the magic. Last night it was strictly the Strat.

I'll have to check now before I head off to lessons.

I'm in a pounding mood right now, maybe I'll take my drums to my guitar lessons today:D

just strum
April 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Well, played the three again this morning and the Strat remains today's lesson guitar. Imagine that!!!:rockon:

Spudman
April 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM
How about your Roadstar II ? It needs to be played! :)

Don't worry SS you are in my will and it's yours if anything happens to me (don''t get any ideas).

just strum
April 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Just got a call, lessons canceled, so I guess I will have to stay home and get some of my own lessons in.

The timing is good, about 10 minutes before I received the call the postman (in this case postwoman) came to the door with three books I purchased from Mark Wein's Bookstore.

Two recommended by Mark
Guitar Fretboard Workbook

Funk Guitar - The essential guide. Mark recommended this even if you are not into funk. It's a good tool for learning rhythm.

and I purchased Texas Blues Guitar so I have some new stuff to play when we party at Shiner and CB's house.

Mark has a nice selection of material. If you are looking for material to add to your collection of books, I suggest you stop over to his site.

He is probably thinking as he reads this "Hey, he didn't buy my book" Well, don't fret, that will be done this weekend.:AOK:

Plank_Spanker
April 18th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I play different guitars depending on my mood. For gigs, I always take my LP Standard, a SG (now that I have my choice of SG's :D), and sometimes one of the Fenders.

It's nice to have choices..............:D

markb
April 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I've really been enjoying my Epi SG since I got the setup finished but last night only the tele would do it. So that's what got played.

snoglobe
April 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I've got six guitars hanging on the wall of my office and one in the guitar stand on the floor. I make a point of pulling a different one down every day and putting it in the stand. Then I try to play (between working) songs that best suit the guitar's sound. Or as I say on my facebook page "I'm busy playing GOD (Guitar Of the Day).

jpfeifer
April 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Yes, this is most of the fun of owning a few different keeper guitars. You never get tired of all of them. There's always one that is a favorite that seems to change over time based on the kind of music that you're into playing at the time.

I haven't been playing my Strat for a while. Lately it's been my Variax since I'm still learning how to use the different sounds. But my overal favorite gutiar is still my Hamer Newport.

-- Jim

street music
April 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM
It all depends on my mood, sometimes I'll play all three in one evening but I guess that I have been playing my Godin more than the Strat and the Takamine more than the others. I switch it up quite abit lately.

just strum
April 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I also find that for some reason there are times when one will play easier than the other. It isn't the same one every time. Maybe it's a case if you neglect to play one for a few days, the different feeling makes it seem easier.

Today it has been strictly the Dot and it sounds so sweet. I took it to lessons today and it sounded good there too, so it wasn't the amp.

warren0728
April 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
i have been playing my les paul a lot lately :greenguitar: ...but try to play them all at some time or another during the week...

ww

mark wein
April 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Just got a call, lessons canceled, so I guess I will have to stay home and get some of my own lessons in.

The timing is good, about 10 minutes before I received the call the postman (in this case postwoman) came to the door with three books I purchased from Mark Wein's Bookstore.

Two recommended by Mark
Guitar Fretboard Workbook

Funk Guitar - The essential guide. Mark recommended this even if you are not into funk. It's a good tool for learning rhythm.

and I purchased Texas Blues Guitar so I have some new stuff to play when we party at Shiner and CB's house.

Mark has a nice selection of material. If you are looking for material to add to your collection of books, I suggest you stop over to his site.

He is probably thinking as he reads this "Hey, he didn't buy my book" Well, don't fret, that will be done this weekend.:AOK:

:D

Thats OK...I appreciate all the help I can get....you are actually the first person to buy from the "Amazon bookstore" on my site...did it all work OK?

As far as favorite guitars go, I used to just play whatever was either newest or most recently set up....I own alot of stuff and its really more than I can afford to keep all maintained all the time...this year I finally have my four best guitars in proper working order. I leave them all on wall hangers or stands in my studio and I try to rotate through them on a regular basis, although I leave my black warmoth strat at home now so I have something to play when I'm not working. My Les Paul just got set up last week and I am rediscovering why I love that guitar so much....