PDA

View Full Version : Good Lesson Book

just strum
April 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Two recommended by Mark
Guitar Fretboard Workbook

Funk Guitar - The essential guide. Mark recommended this even if you are not into funk. It's a good tool for learning rhythm.

and I purchased Texas Blues Guitar ...

I've been working with Guitar Fretboard Workbook this afternoon and I have to recommend it to my fellow fretters that expressed a strong interest in learning the fretboard.

The book is designed/structured to enhance your ability to retain the information. I'm only on page 14 and already I am starting to make connections with fragmented knowledge that I already retained and the new material that I am reading in the book.

So, if you are serious about learning the fretboard and you are a beginner to intermediate, this may be a book for you to consider.

I also quickly browsed Texas Blues Guitar and I am chomping to dive into that book.

peachhead
April 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Is that by Barrett Tagliarino? I've had that one on my list for a while and your post may tip me over the edge to go ahead and get it....

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Is that by Barrett Tagliarino? I've had that one on my list for a while and your post may tip me over the edge to go ahead and get it....

peachhead, that would be the one. It's very straight forward and if you have a partial understanding of the fretboard, it helps put the pieces together. One of the things that is good about it is the fact that one lesson builds on another. I've seen too many books and videos that tend to jump all over and have no visible direction.

It's a good book for $11.53. I purchased three books so I could get the free shipping. Paying for shipping is like throwing part of a book away. Obviously you always pay for shipping, but when it's a separate line item it just bugs the crap out of me.

peachhead
April 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I'm right there with you on that- I've got two or three that I have been sitting on for a while for the same reason. Now I'm curious (and nosy)- any others you recommend, while I'm ready to do some ordering?

** okay, just saw your other post (duh)...I'll head over to Mark's site too.

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I'm right there with you on that- I've got two or three that I have been sitting on for a while for the same reason. Now I'm curious (and nosy)- any others you recommend, while I'm ready to do some ordering?

I also bought "Funk Guitar" which Mark suggested for learning and developing rhythm. Another book that I might buy is Music Reading for Guitar by David Oakes. It's a recommended book, but I'm not really sure of it's value in learning how to read music (any recommendations from the fretters is welcome). As I progress I am starting to realize the importance of being able to read music. It's not an absolute necessity, but it will enhance your learning process.

I'm ordering Mark's book today - Foundations for Guitar.

I'm sure there are others here that can recommend some other books.

Fretbuzz
April 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm just starting "Blue You Can Use". So far, it's very good!