PDA

View Full Version : What acoustic amp and why?

street music
April 13th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I have ask in the General forum but it was suggested that I ask the same question here. Which acoustic amp do you use or do you play through a combo? I currently use my Fender Princeton 65 for all my guitars and I just wanted to see if you think the difference would be very noticable if I bought an acoustic amp to play my Takamine with.

t_ross33
April 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Live I run from the onboard pre-amp through a 7-band EQ which helps with room-specific feedback issues, and straight into the board. I was using a Behringer DI-20 until we filled our board with other stuff, now I just go straight 1/4" line in because that's the only channel I have left :rolleyes:. Sometimes I will use a Chorus as well, but not often.

On larger stages I may use my Washburn acoustic amp just for a little more warmth and stage monitoring. I accomplish this by using the 2 channel DI which can split the input to send one signal to the amp and one to the board for the PA.

At home I rarely amp-up when playing acoustic, but might use either the Washburn or my little Peavey 4 channel PA.

My acoustic amp has a mic input as well, so it is handy and portable for those occasions when you just want to jam or do a little semi-unplugged set at a birthday party, family get together or some such. Would also work for a coffeehouse type gig and a smaller church setting.

I notice a huge difference when playing through an acoustic amp or PA. Electric guitar amps just aren't designed to reproduce the "depth" of an acoustic. To me they sound really "tight", which is what you want with an electric. Acoustics should sing through a wide range, from full (but not boomy) bass to crystal clear highs. You probably wouldn't notice a big difference at bedroom volumes as you are still getting some of the actual "acoustic" sound from the guitar itself, but crank 'er up so the amplified sound is louder than the instrument itself and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with the search.

jpfeifer
April 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
From what I've tried, most electric guitar amps don't quite cut it as viable way to amplify your acoustic. It's better to have a dedicated acoustic guitar amp, or just run the acoustic into the main mixer.

My current amp has an acoustic mode (which is probably just an exciter affect that is placed before the guitar hitting the main amplifier circuit) but it doesn't work very well. It get's very harsh when you play with anything other than a super light touch.

If you're looking for a decent acoustic amp, I've used the following one at my church quite often and it sounds great:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Acoustasonic-Junior-DSP-Combo-Amp-with-Effects?sku=480729

Good luck with your choice.
-- Jim

Duff
April 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
While at a GC I was testing out a Marshall 50 watt one with two speakers; you probably know the one, when I accidentally glanced over my shoulder a Crate 60 watt Gunnison. I was having some concerns about the Marshall and didn't know Crate had the 60 watt one, two channels with full controls for each channel and mic xlr jacks too, plus some really nice effects that also give your voice some nice smoothness. It has one speaker, can't remember if it's ten or twelve inches. But this amp is a super nice amp. I think it is way better than the Marshall 50's that I tried out, or the smaller Fender acoustasonic's.

It was about 335 at GC, plus a discount because I bought something else. Brand new. I really like it as you can see but don't play it enough. I need to.

Hope this gives you something else to look at.

Duffy

street music
April 19th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Duffy,
I have found a Crate in Music Go Round that I have my son checking on for me. He lives close to that shop and has listen to the owner play through the amp, I like the features too.

markb
April 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Have a look at AER amps. These are great. Powerful and very portable.

http://www.aer-amps.de/Sites/sites_ENG/productpages/alpha.htm

evenkeel
May 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have played thru a variety of acoustic amps and PA's.

Fender acoustisonic jr. Always sounds a abit crunchy to me, especially if you push the volume.
Crate. Nice clean sound.
Genz Benz is my favorite. Clear, broad sound. Clean even when the volume is hgh.

My exerience is most acoustic amps function/sound more or less like a PA. So a small PA system may work well for you.

street music
May 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks Evenkeel, I've been looking and waiting in hope that I may run across the correct one soon. I have been tinkering with my Fender Princeton and have managed to get a pretty decent sound when run through the pedal.
I'm going to just watch and see if I find a good deal as I'm not ready for any stage playing as of yet , I have a long way to go.

Duff
May 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
I really nice acoustic amp like the Crate Gunnison 60 watt two channel is really sweet. It has quality effects for both voice and guitar and sounds nothing like a regular electric guitar amp. It will blow your mind.

Then if you get a stereo electric acoustic guitar like a Peavey Generation Ex custom telecaster copy with two hot humbuckers and piezo electric acoustic pickups in the string saddles you can play stereo through both amps. The Peavey tele above uses analog acoustic simulation to great effect. I have an expensive Schecter heavy metal C1 that is stereo and set up similarly but is semi-semi hollow, quite heavy actually and sort of strat shaped. Nice. Thru both the acoustic and the electric amp it is awesome, awesome.

Duffy

Plan ahead. Spend a little extra now and get the features you will need. But be careful. You can buy some very very good equipment and guitars these days for inexpensive prices.

Sprinter
May 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I like Traynor/Yorkville and Genz Benz acoustic amps.

Sprinter