PDA

View Full Version : Butterballed!

ZMAN
April 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM
We were travelling to visit my daughter in Maine on Friday and were just leaving NY state on I 90. It had been a pretty good trip and we were about 6 hours in, and 4 hours to go. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a dark shape then BANNNNG, and our window shattered. We had been dive bombed by a 20 pound turkey while going 65 miles an hour. We were showered with shards of glass and luckily the window held together. The area around the mirror was dented in about 4 inches, and the mirror was hanging by a wire, and a circuilt board showing the temp, and direction still working everything else was in the back seat. We were able to limp to the Tourist info booth who set us up with a repair shop in Springfield Mass. The window in our SUV was not available until Sat, so we stayed at the Hilton, and the wonderful people there allowed us to park in the Baketball hall of fame underground secured lot.
The repair shop did and excellent job and actually put my mirror back together! and the onstar and incar phone works it is absolutely amazing.
We laughed afterward that it cost us 200 for a window and 40 dollars to clean our shorts! My wife and I were shaken but unhurt. I will post some pics when I get home.
I will definitely be signing up for our fall turkey hunt.

mrmudcat
April 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Was just sitting on my deck (maine) watching a big fat tom strutting his stuff:bravo:

ZMAN
April 13th, 2008, 07:14 AM
We are in Augusta. Lots of turkeys out back of the property. I'm Gonna get revenge. LOL

Spudman
April 13th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Glad that you are all right. Did you keep the turkey?:D
In some states if you hit a deer the carcass is yours which I think is much better than wasting it by putting it in a land fill.

We have a bunch of turkeys around here too but just the ones that wear their shorts too low and baggy and their hats on sideways.

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I take I90 when I head up to Ontario and my eyes are always looking out for deer.:thwap:

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Man, I bet that was startling. I forgot that turkeys wander around out in the wild. Great story!

ted s
April 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Maybe he was dropped from a helicopter in some kind of radio publicity stunt ?

ZMAN
April 13th, 2008, 09:51 AM
When I pulled over to the side I looked out and the turkey was hobbling along the shoulder back to the woods. I had no place to pull off so I slowly drove on. It ended up being 70 miles to get to Springfield. Can't say enough about the little repair shop. The mirror was hanging there. There was a circuit board and the rest of it was in the back seat. The guy took it and carefully put it all back together and the damn thing looks like new. I even contacted onstar with it.
We were totally showered with fine splinters of glass and neither of us was cut.
We both were wearing glasses so nothing hit our eyes.
Never had anything like this happen, and I can't even imagine hitting a deer.

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Maybe he was dropped from a helicopter in some kind of radio publicity stunt ?

:rotflmao: WKRP in Cincinnati

sZnwmvZhDz4

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That's great Strum! I loved that old show!

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
That's great Strum! I loved that old show!

I was in love with Jan Smithers (Bailey) - Loni Anderson didn't do it for me.

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I was in love with Jan Smithers (Bailey) - Loni Anderson didn't do it for me.

Neither for me. At that point in time, it was Kristy McNichol.

ZMAN
April 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
That is too funny. The one that landed on me had feathers.

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
That is too funny. The one that landed on me had feathers.
"Had" being the operative word here.

peachhead
April 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I had an owl do that once some years back, but it didn't mess the car up (just the owl). Good to know you were taken care of though!

bigoldron
April 13th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I hit a turkey buzzard doing 70 one day. No damage to my car, but the last I saw of him was him flipping head over heels with his wings fully extended in my rear view mirror. Scared the manure out of both of us.

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
My two hits - a sea gull - broke my front headlight. I also hit a goose that had just taken flight from the side of the road and hit my front windshield, no damage to the car luckily, but that goose isn't flying or crapping in my yard anymore.

bigoldron
April 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM
The funniest story I ever heard from an architect in Atlanta that had their own corporate jet and pilot. He and the pilot were flying to Nashville one day and hit a goose in midair, which came through the windshield and wound up in pieces on the pilot. The impact caused both guys to black out temporarily. When the architect came to, he looked over at the pilot who was still knocked out. All he could see was goose guts and blood everywhere. It scared the hooey out of him, because he thought the pilot's head had been torn off when he saw the goose innards.

He screamed LOUDLY, which finally woke the pilot up. They later laughed about it, but not until after they had changed their clothes and underwear.

Tone2TheBone
April 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Wow. Hitting things on the road isn't fun. I guess Spring turkey season is over then in your area? Was about to load the truck up and head on over there to hunt with you. Glad things worked out for you afterwards.

Brian Krashpad
April 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Yikes! Thanksgiving Revenge!

Glad to hear everyone, plus vehicle, is OK now.

marnold
April 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM
If it's any consolation, I hit a turkey this morning. Dumb thing forgot that it can't fly so well and tried to fly in front of me on a country highway. Thankfully, I saw it in the nick of time. Between hitting the brakes and the thing being airborne I escaped with just some turkey squeezin's on my windshield.