PDA

View Full Version : My daughter is a High School Musical addict, already!

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
She is only almost 5 and loves these movies! She is watching the second one now. I came from a family of all boys, and she has two brothers. Nothing pink in the house before she arrived. Yet, she somehow just hooked onto the pink, the Disney princess stuff, and now the Highschool Musical stuff, etc. Not sure where it all comes from. :thwap: :rotflmao: :pancake:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/annekaGuitar.jpg

Here she is after I installed strap buttons and pink strap on her pink guitar. Strap buttons and strap from MF on sale, cheap. Smiles while your girl strums, priceless.

ted s
April 13th, 2008, 09:40 AM
She's a cutie !

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM
+1,000 on the priceless smile. Those are memories that last a lifetime.:AOK:

Now, start working on that pink Strat before she starts singing Carpenter songs.

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Well, we might need a good drummer for the band. ;-) Nah, I don't think she'd go Carpenters. Time will tell, but she loves to sing and dance and would be more "dancey" in her tastes. Her favorite show is "Hi 5" which is all really exercise and cheer oriented dance. Thus, the High School Musical stuff. Her favorite thing to play together with me is an uptempo classic sounding punk chord progression that goes between E and A, then A and D. Very Buddy Holly sounding. She likes bright sounds. She is already eyeing the strat. :)

But do any of you have girls (or boys) that are into this High School Musical type of scene, and the whole pink scene? Like I say, there was none of it in the house until she hit about 3. We have since been invaded. I can't think it is a nurture thing, it must be a nature thing. Just who she is. But she loves to dance with me, and play guitar, so I am pretty darn happy about it, even if I have to escape back here to the computer for breaks from the High School Musical movie and music. ;)

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
She's a cutie ! Thanks Ted. I think you know this shot from facebook. Here also are the boys.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_238472fbda1cfe89.jpg ('http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=30')

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_238472fcf74199e7.jpg ('http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=31')

Spudman
April 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM
But do any of you have girls (or boys) that are into this High School Musical type of scene, and the whole pink scene?
Oh ya. We got it big time here. Not only is pink the new oxygen the soundtrack takes place of actual talking now. Singing girl is everywhere. It's a good way to judge her mood. If she sings loud then she's carefree. If she sings quieter then something is on her mind.

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Good tip bro!

Tone2TheBone
April 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
That's an awesome picture Steve! :bravo: :)

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks man. I love my kids. That little pink guitar is not too bad for a kid guitar. My son's S-101 is nicer, with a better fretboard and frets and an adjust able truss rod, but hers is pretty decent for a little girl. Has a nice sound and makes her smile! We played together tonight! She tries to strum it in rhythm (she can't really fret anything) and sing, and I play the song. So much fun!

Tone2TheBone
April 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks man. I love my kids. That little pink guitar is not too bad for a kid guitar. My son's S-101 is nicer, with a better fretboard and frets and an adjust able truss rod, but hers is pretty decent for a little girl. Has a nice sound and makes her smile! We played together tonight! She tries to strum it in rhythm (she can't really fret anything) and sing, and I play the song. So much fun!

Little kids are great you're so lucky. I wish my kids were still small like that but big or small they're all awesome. Some nice sounds can be had on kid guitars actually. :AOK:

SuperSwede
April 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Cool pict Steve!

My daughter loves High School Musical too.. I hear that "you are the music in me" song played over and over again..

mrmudcat
April 14th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Great pics!!!

Brian Krashpad
April 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Despite me actually owning a pink guitar, no pink stuff at our house otherwise. Our daughter's room had walls that were an extremely pale shade of pink when she was a baby and very little, but she never went the whole "princess/ballerina" route. Now that she's older (14) as of a couple years ago her room got re-done in an island/beach theme and the walls are a light orangey color like the sky at sunset.

As for High School Musical, no one's a fan at Casa Krashpad. I am, however, a fan of those Polaroids the one actress from that show took for her boyfriend. ;)

sumitomo
April 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Thats cool,I tried to get my daughter into guitar (shes 7)but she wanted keyboards,she really does good though,she does lessons every week.Now maybe she can show her dad a thing or two.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
April 14th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, Brian, that is why I say it must be more nature than nurture, because there was nothing here to promote it. I am having fun with it though, and it makes my Mom happy to have a granddaughter to buy girly stuff for.

Brian Krashpad
April 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, Brian, that is why I say it must be more nature than nurture, because there was nothing here to promote it. I am having fun with it though, and it makes my Mom happy to have a granddaughter to buy girly stuff for.

Haha, I know what you mean about grandmothers. Our Hannah Beth used to get Barbies all the time, and rather than impose a "no Barbies" rule (which neither Hannah nor our parents would've understood) we (being feminists) did some counter-programming with the intention of using the occasion to try and teach a better lesson than "Look, girls are pretty!"

Given that the bodily dimensions on Barbies are virtually humanly impossible, we told Hannah Beth that obviously there was something abnormal about Barbies' bodies, but that we needed to love and respect everyone despite any physical challenges they might face.

Voila!

Btw, Steve, I just noted the quote of Hoyt's lyric in your sig-- you're one of the few people that's heard it other than those who've heard us playing it live, as that's one of the unreleased ones. You rock!

PS-- that pic in the original post is adorable of course.

SuperSwede
April 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Given that the bodily dimensions on Barbies are virtually humanly impossible, we told Hannah Beth that obviously there was something abnormal about Barbies' bodies, but that we needed to love and respect everyone despite any physical challenges they might face.

Very true, but have you seen the even worse "Bratz" dolls that girls play with these days?? They look like some kind of polish prostitutes that a drunken plastic surgeon had played with..

...and yes my daughters has one.. but I didn´t buy it.

I like Ken© instead ;) :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
April 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Haha, I know what you mean about grandmothers. Our Hannah Beth used to get Barbies all the time, and rather than impose a "no Barbies" rule (which neither Hannah nor our parents would've understood) we (being feminists) did some counter-programming with the intention of using the occasion to try and teach a better lesson than "Look, girls are pretty!"

Voila!

Btw, Steve, I just noted the quote of Hoyt's lyric in your sig-- you're one of the few people that's heard it other than those who've heard us playing it live, as that's one of the unreleased ones. You rock!

PS-- that pic in the original post is adorable of course.

Hey, that's a good one on the Barbies. Anneka likes Barbie ok, but is more into her American Girl Doll, Julie Allbright, who is a 70's high schooler. Much more normal physically. Her grandparents got her the AM doll. Those things are expensive!

Re: the quote, I have played that disc a lot in the car and really like that piece. I am an econ and poli sci/history type of guy, and was influenced heavily early on by John C. Locke, Adam Smith, and others re: social contract theory of government and the whole invisible hand concept. If only people were personally responsible, rational, and more caring it would all just work out. Life has taught me though, that the true total costs of business are not internalized well enough (thus the need for laws protecting the environment for example), and that people are not always rational enough in today's world (if they ever were) for the invisible hand to work without help. Ok, that was getting close to politics, but I just wanted to note that the lyrics were interesting to me personally, and I agree with the conclusion stated in the quote. Rock on!

P.S. I enjoy discussing economics/poli-sci/history/and politics, but I better not here. If anyone wants to some time, PM me and we can email out a conversation sometime.

Cool pict Steve!

My daughter loves High School Musical too.. I hear that "you are the music in me" song played over and over again..

Hi Swede, thanks! I agree with you on the Bratz. Bleh! Re: that song, it looks like after this morning, I am committed to learning it with her. LOL!!!

ZMAN
April 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Just enjoy the heck out if this time with her. My daughter was like that what seems like just yesterday, and now I am visiting her at her home in Maine. 600 miles from me. She has gone through University and is now a high school teacher. But I swear she was only 5 yesterday!

Brian Krashpad
April 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Very true, but have you seen the even worse "Bratz" dolls that girls play with these days?? They look like some kind of polish prostitutes that a drunken plastic surgeon had played with..

...and yes my daughters has one.. but I didn´t buy it.

I like Ken© instead ;) :rotflmao:

Oh, don't even get me started on Bratz! Barbies are relatively innocuous in comparison. Bratz dolls glamourize the whole shallow "diva" attitude where the only important thing is oneself and one's material possessions-- I'm surprised they don't come with a little toy cell phone to throw at the maid. They're dolls for Reality TV Kulture. Curiously, perhaps as a way to counteract the awful intended image of the dolls themselves, they did a Bratz movie which apparently attempted to teach the opposite lesson. A little too late to rehabilitate the product though, and no changes were made to the product itself (and, as importantly, no change to the way it was marketed).

Unlike Barbies, we actually DID have a Bratz bannination in effect during our daughter's doll-interest years, and we made sure the grandparents knew about it.