PDA

View Full Version : If you want a new G&L tele

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM
hurry, only 6 minutes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-ASAT-CLASSIC-BLUESBOY-USA-MODEL_W0QQitemZ160227338721QQihZ006QQcategoryZ2384 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I didn't see it had a reserve, I thought someone might get it for $800. Auction closed with no winner.

Nice guitar - a real GAS producer.

hubberjub
April 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM
That's a nice guitar. I've always been impressed with G&L but they don't hold their value very well. They are a great buy used.

wingsdad
April 13th, 2008, 09:46 PM
... but they don't hold their value very well. They are a great buy used.

Sorry, but I have to agree and disagree on that point, hub.

First. they're a great buy, period.

True, as far as standardized limited run production models like this one that go to market new based on special pricing:
ASAT Classic Limited Run Model (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150213713845&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=160227338721&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BIA%26itu%3DIA%25 2BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42)

Models like this fare about as well as standard USA Fenders in terms of percentage of MSRP. My local G&L dealer had a run of Legacy's like this that went new for $799. One came back on a trade about a year later and went 2nd hand for $650.

Custom order models like that orange Bluesboy are another matter. They hold value better than say, a Fender American Vintage Series 62 ReIssue Strat that hits the street new at about $1,400 -$1,500 and then sells used 6 months later for $1,000. But even that's a standard production model, nothing custom about it.

That e-bay seller also seems a bit slimy to me in his representation. Here he's got a customized ASAT Special at a BIN price. I know for a FACT that unless G&L raised the option prices within the last 4 weeks, he's inflated the list pricing on a couple of the options, and thus jacked the MSRP up higher than actual price.

ASAT Special custom order (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160227811855&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=160227338721&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D4)

Aeolian is another fretter here who knows a lot more about G&L's, is active in the G&L discussion board for I think 10 years, and I'd be interested in what light he might shed on this issue.

hubberjub
April 14th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Sorry wing. I wasn't putting down G&Ls. They are great guitars. I believe they are putting out better guitars than Fender is. I just think that Fenders standard production models hold their value better than G&Ls standard production model. Would this stop me from buying one? No. I typically buy only used guitars anyway. Hamer is another example of this. They build stellar guitars that are just an absolute bargain used. Forgive me if I offended your brand of choice. It was not my intent. I have an odd obsession with economics.

wingsdad
April 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM
No offense taken, hub ;) I know you appreciate an unsung but well-made guitar, witness your Heritage.:AOK:

Seriously, though...take a closer look at the downward trend developing over the past 2 years of USA standard production model Fenders holding their resale value. As a matter of economics, marketing being an economic function, Fender's moves the last couple of years with Heinz's 57 Varieties of the American Standard Strat & Tele aimed at almost every conceivable niche demographic have taken a toll on their resale values.

G&L's standard models, on the other hand, have remained pretty stable over the last 10 years, with customization at the dealer order stage creating the variations. And yes, resale values on G&L's about 3 years ago were relatively low compared to Fender. But that trend has been gradually reversing.

I think I'm :deadhorse: trying to prove any point here, though, because regardless, if anyone thinks of resale value as an important factor in why they should buy a partilcular guitar that they otherwise fall madly in love with, then they should probably not buy the guitar, quit playing, sell all their gear, and go buy a Porsche with the proceeds.