PDA

View Full Version : Place your bets - I'm running Boston Maraton on April 21, 2008

Robert
April 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
My wife and kids prepared a "mini-Boston" yesterday. Our running club met and ran around the park just a few hundred meters, and we had lots of kids cheering and screaming as we ran up a little bump we called "Heartbreak Hill". :D It was fun, and I feel I am now mentally prepared for the upcoming challenge in Boston.

On race day, you can track my progress in the race live on
http://www.bostonmarathon.org/

Every 5 kilometers will be shown on the website as I run. My race number is 1538 - so place your bets and predict what my finish time will be! :dude:

Will I go under 3 hours? I hope so, but who knows. This course is not very fast Plus, it's the most prestigious marathon of them all, so I may want to hold back a bit and take in the experience of it all.

On an easy course, I would guess I could do anywhere between 2:52 and 3:05 - with some more training, definitely faster than that.

Algonquin
April 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Good luck Rob. Your friends here will be rooting for you. :AOK:

just strum
April 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
$20 Canadian on the guy with the big veins.

Oh, I forgot a time - 2:52

Run, Robert, Run

We need a marathon smiley.

mrmudcat
April 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
4:20 WILL BE YOUR TIME:master:

I will celebrate for you here at my house in the garage with a token;) of our frienship!!!!! And im sure warren will have pancakes afterwords:rockon: Again 4:20 is your time:pancake:

mrmudcat
April 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
$20 Canadian on the guy with the big veins.

I wonder if I should look for his number or just the guy with the biggest veins!:D

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I am going to bet under three. Even while soaking it all in, you won't be able to hold yourself back. Have a great race!

WackyT
April 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Good luck Robert. That's close enough to home territory for me. I grew up in midstate Mass.

I bid 3:25, Bob!

http://poplicks.com/images/bob-barker.jpg

Spudman
April 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Best of luck to you Robert. :AOK:

I'm sure that no matter what time you run it in A. you'll have a great experience B. tell yourself the rest of your life that you could have run it faster. Either way I'm darn proud of you for doing it the couch potato you are and all.:D

I'll be checking it at 4:20.

Tone2TheBone
April 13th, 2008, 10:25 PM
You better win man it's our anniversay that day! Good luck dude. :)

magoo
April 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Good luck Rob, I bet I could run it in.....lets see...Two...Days..LOL

ZMAN
April 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
We were there two years ago. Not to run but to take in the spectacle.
If you haven't been to Boston, as we hadn't, it is one of the most beautiful cities I have visited. My daughter had friends who lived on Beacon Hill so we got to see a lot of Boston from the standpoint of a person living there. We had lunch at Abe and Louie's restaurant and then watched the end of the race right down town.
Robert if you have never run this thing you are in for a fabulous experience.
They really do it up big. The whole downtown area is closed off and they have a Giant 3 or 4 story tower erected from curb to curb for the finish line, it has a scoreboard, and tv cameras mounted on it. There are a ton of media people calling the race from there as well.
It is an awsome sight. When the race leaders and any Americans come through there is a thunderous applause that grows as they get closer. One of the loudest was for the fellow who pushed his son in a wheelchair for the whole thing.
Check that one off the Bucket list. I could never have run it thought!
GOOOOOD LUUUUCCCKK

Algonquin
April 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I just finished chatting with a friend at work about the Marathon. Rob's bib # 1538 indicates his qualifying time was excellent. I won't predict a finish time for Rob, only that it will be an incredible experience!

Rob's time has qualified him to start in Wave 1 along with the Elite runners.

Good Luck, and enjoy your day!

David

warren0728
April 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
good luck robert...i would try and predict a time but it would probably be in "vein" :rotflmao:

ww

sumitomo
April 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Good Luck Robert,Im saying 3:10 for the time and if you feel yourself slowing down just think those people are chasing you becuse you said something about their momma.Sumi :D

Robert
April 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks, guys, I am leaving tomorrow morning!

Any tips on where I should go eat, or go see something interesting?

sunvalleylaw
April 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Have a great race! I can't give you any advice for food other than find some chowder and Irish beers. If I was there, I would want to tour here, http://www.samadams.com/samsite/tour.html and/or some smaller independent micro brewery with a tasting room and/or pub.

Tone2TheBone
April 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Naked Fish bistro, Union Oyster House, Black Rose Irish pub *chomp chomp slurp slurp*

Edit: Legal Seafood restaurant is "ok" but it's very popular and it gets really busy so the service goes to hell.

sunvalleylaw
April 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Sound's like Tone knows. Do what Tone says.

Robert
April 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Yessir, I take that as an order!

Spudman
April 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM
You might want to stop by Berklee (http://www.berklee.edu/)and immerse yourself.

merlin
April 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Good luck Robert,
Finishing a marathon is a great accomplishment.

I was going to run in the upcoming Music city marathon, but my training is just not there yet.
http://www.cmmarathon.com/home.html
It is a real neat marathon. There is a stage with a band every mile.

warren0728
April 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
good luck robert....run like the wind! :AOK:

ww

peachhead
April 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Good Luck Robert, and above all, enjoy the accomplishment!
Make sure you get pics crossing the finish line :AOK:

Blaze
April 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Might be a rehersal to win the Québec City one ...

Good luck and have fun ..

Blazes:dude:

oldguy
April 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Best of luck, Robert. :)
I'm betting on 3:15, and less if all we Fretter's could be there cheering you on from the sidelines as you streak by us.....:bravo: :bravo:

Algonquin
April 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Best of luck, Robert. :)
I'm betting on 3:15, and less if all we Fretter's could be there cheering you on from the sidelines as you streak by us.....:bravo: :bravo:
Robert's planning on Streaking?... :eek: How Retro 70's of him! (Hope it's warm out) :D

oldguy
April 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Perhaps I mis-spoke.:thwap: ..... uh, I meant I hope Robert would do even better if some of the Fretter's were there to cheer him on as he flashed by us on the sidelines, cheering.......:beer:
In any event, if he does better than 3:15, I think everyone should kick in some coin, say, $10-20$, to donate to TheFret:AOK: ...... anyone else up to the challenge???:pancake:
:poke: :poke:

warren0728
April 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
In any event, if he does better than 3:15, I think everyone should kick in some coin, say, $10-20$, to donate to TheFret:AOK: ...... anyone else up to the challenge???:pancake:
:poke: :poke:
that's a great idea...i haven't donated in awhile....about time i did... :AOK:

ww

sunvalleylaw
April 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
He is capable of sub 3 flat. See here:

Will I go under 3 hours? I hope so, but who knows. This course is not very fast Plus, it's the most prestigious marathon of them all, so I may want to hold back a bit and take in the experience of it all.

On an easy course, I would guess I could do anywhere between 2:52 and 3:05 - with some more training, definitely faster than that.

I think 3:15 is too easy a goal to really motivate him. We should make his goal sub 3. ;) :D But that should not take away from anyone's desire to donate at any time for any reason. I need to donate soon again myself.

Robert
April 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hey, guys, thanks for the warm thoughts! I will let you bet all you want on me, I have enough to do to just run the darn thing!

I am hoping to meet up with Tremoloman and Ted C tomorrow! Finally get to meet some Fretters. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully we can find a music store to have a quick jam at, and then go for a beer or coffee.

So far, I'm having a great time in Boston. Just came back from a good sea food meal at the Union Oyster House. We are staying at a nice little place in Winthrop.

Race day will be interesting. I will have to take the bus at 6am to get to the official marathon buses before 7am, and then wait in Hopkinton until 10am, when the race starts. Weather is supposed to be quite good, but there is 30% of showers, they said today. Hope there won't be rain!

The marathon expo was amazing. So much much nice stuff and gear. I just had to buy a Boston Marathon official running coat and cap - although I have plenty of running clothes by now. I had to get it, because who knows if I'll ever be back? Better get the cool gear when I earned it (or about to earn it). I also bought a new pair of Asics Gel Cumulus 9 - and I actually intend to run the race in these brand new shoes. Am I crazy doing this? We'll see! :)

warren0728
April 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
very cool robert...i have had nothing but great times meeting up with fellow fretters....i'm sure you will too!!

as for the shoes....i'm not a runner so who knows...if they feel good go for it....and as a non-runner wouldn't a slight rain be a good thing to keep you from overheating....just asking...

good luck :AOK:

ww

just strum
April 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I also bought a new pair of Asics Gel Cumulus 9 - and I actually intend to run the race in these brand new shoes. Am I crazy doing this? We'll see! :)

If you win, you can do a commercial with Spike Lee - It Must Be the Shoes

BhHONpmlxPc

Algonquin
April 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
Well Folks... Rob has hit the halfway mark of the Boston Marathon with a time of 1:24:04! Keep it up Rob!... you're looking good :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
April 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Ruuun Forest, (I mean Robert), RUUUUUUNNN!!!! Way to go buddy, bring it home!!!! :AOK::bravo: :AOK::bravo: :AOK:

tjcurtin1
April 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
From what I can see, it looks as if Robert came in under 3 hours at 2:59:02 - way to go, Robert!!! Too bad we didn't get the guys at Vintage Guitars to bet that '54 Tele on it...:D

sunvalleylaw
April 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hmm, I don't think his final time is in yet. We keep getting different projected times and he passed the last checkpoint at 40k not too long ago with a projected finish of 3:01 and change. If he was at 2:59, he would be in there with one of Lance Armstrong's times from Lance's other finishes. Lance was simply hoping to break 3. Pretty exciting to be able to track it!

Algonquin
April 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Nope... official time has yet to be posted yet.

Interesting he and my friend Carlos from work are within 1 minute of each other.

Excellent job boys... you've got to be proud of yourselves! :master:

Justaguyin_nc
April 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
3:01:33 congrats Robert...:)

:bravo: :AOK: :bravo:

Algonquin
April 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
Congrats Rob!

.. Well done!

warren0728
April 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
nice job robert! :bravo: :pancake: :beer:

ww

sunvalleylaw
April 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
Way to go Robert! Check this out. I traced Robert, and added on Lance Armstrong who said he would be happy breaking 3 to see the comparison. Look at that! Robert was leading Armstrong, 7 time Tour de France champ for the first half of the race, and past there to 25k! Our fret leader is no slouch by any means. Hope you had fun Robert!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/robertTimeJpeg.jpg

Congrats! At OG's suggestion, I am donating something to the fret to honor such an effort, and to honor all you do here. He way beat the goal suggested by OG, let's give him a nice welcome home by pitching something in the hat!

luvmyshiner
April 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
WOW! Congrats Robert, great job.:bravo:

Spudman
April 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Congratulations Robert! :bravo:

See what EPO does for people. I doubt Lance would have beat you otherwise.;)

player
April 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Good Luck Robert:AOK: well now it is congratulations masta:master: :AOK: well done

sunvalleylaw
April 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM
It also looks like the father/son team of Rick and Dick Hoyt finished in about 4:07. What a fun event!

Childbride
April 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Robert, i couldn't run that far, that fast, if someone was chasing me with a deadly weapon. :D :master: :D :master:

Congrats!!!

WackyT
April 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Congratulations Robert! Great times!

Robert
April 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't have a good race running-wise; my calves seized up half-way through and kinda fell apart. But still, I had a great race! I enjoyed it a lot anyway. The cheering and support along the way is simply amazing. I've never seen so many people along a race before, simply an incredible experience. I had my Swedish shirt on, with the word "Sweden" written in big yellow letters. People yelled "Go Sweden" so much that I almost thought I was the favorite here!

I hope someone here gets a chance to run Boston. It's something one never forgets.

just strum
April 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Look at that! Robert was leading Armstrong, 7 time Tour de France champ for the first half of the race, and past there to 25k! Our fret leader is no slouch by any means. Hope you had fun Robert!

Pretty damn good considering Lance had his bike.

Well, I had 2:52:00 as my guess - Good thing I didn't put up the Strat. Great job there Sir Robert!!!

Of course I would have beat the whole lot. When have you seen a marathon runner beat out an ambulance taking another runner to the hospital because he fell at the starting line???:thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
April 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Congrats Robert!!

I've never had the urge to run a marathon, but I know plenty who have run them.

duhvoodooman
April 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'll bet those big veins helped! Way to go, RR! :AOK: :dude: :bravo: :beer:

Bloozcat
April 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Congratulations Robert...that was quite a feat! :beer:

Even when I was younger and in great shape, I couldn't imagine running a full marathon. Six miles was the most I'd ever done...intentionally...:)

Tone2TheBone
April 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Congrats Rob! So I guess you're back home then? Did you eat some righteous New England Clam Chowdah at Union Oyster House?

Robert
April 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
I had oysters and a variety of fish dished at the Union Oyster House. Cool place! I forgot about the clam chowdah.

Robert
April 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I am back in this old town again. It snowed here around Edmonton for 4 days, and it looks insane with all this piles of snow! It was nice and warm in Boston. I should have stayed there.

Oh well, holidays are over, back to the daily grind!

Spudman
April 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Robert
I take solace in knowing that when the rest of the nation is frying in the summer heat us Rocky Mountain folks will be feeling pretty smug with our much more civil temperatures. (I hope I didn't just jinx us):thwap:

oldguy
April 26th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Well, I'm home for the weekend catching up and.......... Robert, congrats!
Job well done!:bravo: :bravo:
It's also nice to hear of you fellows meeting up there and doing some playing and G.A.S.ing over that old Tele. Cool stories.
I think it's awesome you finished the marathon so soon with the calf problem.:AOK:

As mentioned a few pages back, a small donation to TheFret has been sent. I would imagine more will follow soon, considering the great time you turned in, even with the calves seizing up.:poke:
:D :D

tremoloman
April 26th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Robert,

Congrats on a great job! It was a pleasure to finally be able to meet both Ted and yourself. I had an absolute blast and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our city in the short time you were here. Please make this an annual trip so we can schedule a Fret.Net jam! I'd be happy to host such an event if we could get something going. :)

26 miles... damn that's a long run!

And remember not to tell anyone about that $50,000 Tele!

Robert
April 26th, 2008, 07:25 AM
What Tele... ;) or they will hunt us down and place the head of a horse on our pillows... then they sink us in the harbour.

Thanks Scott for meeting up with me! I enjoyed that afternoon a lot with you and Ted. You guys are great. I might just be back next year.

How's that SX neck I brought? I haven't yet had time to look at the one you gave me.

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Robert
I take solace in knowing that when the rest of the nation is frying in the summer heat us Rocky Mountain folks will be feeling pretty smug with our much more civil temperatures. (I hope I didn't just jinx us):thwap:
Never been to San Diego have you? It's basically 72 & sunny with low humidity year around.

ZMAN
April 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I just got back from Boston on Friday. I went down for a Game at Fenway. We took the T and it was cool. Headed down to Quincy market area in the evening for Dinnah and drinks. Stayed at the overpriced Holiday Inn in Beacon hill. The more I see of that town the more I like it.
BTW I told some of my friends who live in Boston about your time Robert and they were VERY impressed. They watch it every year.

Robert
April 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Cool, maybe we can find more fretters to join up next April!

magoo
April 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Congrats Robert. well done.:bravo:

just strum
April 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
The race has been over for almost a week and I see this thread keep on popping up in the "new post" notice. Are we still taking bets??? My entry is 3:01:33 - PM me if I won the guitar and amp.

tjcurtin1
April 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
The race has been over for almost a week and I see this thread keep on popping up in the "new post" notice. Are we still taking bets??? My entry is 3:01:33 - PM me if I won the guitar and amp.

Ha, ha, Strum! And now it's back at the top.....

Robert
April 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
It's also nice to hear of you fellows meeting up there and doing some playing and G.A.S.ing over that old Tele. Cool stories.
I think it's awesome you finished the marathon so soon with the calf problem.:AOK:

As mentioned a few pages back, a small donation to TheFret has been sent. I would imagine more will follow soon, considering the great time you turned in, even with the calves seizing up.:poke:

Oldguy, thanks a lot for doing that! Contributions such as yours help to make this a better place to be.

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM

As I said I would, I just joined ya Glenn with a small donation. Thanks for the suggestion! And Robert, congrats on the race and trip. It looks like it was a lot of fun. :AOK: I love active vacations. :beer:

Robert
April 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks Sunvalley! Appreciate the support immensely!

:)