PDA

View Full Version : Dailing in the Right Amplifier Tone

Tim
April 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I need some help here. In my previous post I did a review on a book that I purchased. See http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=667

Here the situation. The examples that are given for backing tracks are absolutely fantastic. I love them all. I especially like the clear clean tones, along with some with a light crunch. I am thinking with my AD30VT, I should be able to come somewhere close to the tones in the examples. The CD has examples of Rock & Roll, Country, Funk, R & B, Blues, Reggae, etc.

Here’s my problem. Since I have little experience with amplifiers and their nuances, I have no idea where to start dialing in the amps EQ, and effects. I found on website that states a good setting to start with for Country is; Bass & Mids = 6 -7, Treble = 8-10, reverb on 3.

Does anybody know of a book written or a website that addresses a starting place to dial in the other tones mentioned above? I understand that a lot is in the fingers, but I need an amp baseline to start from.

Thanks for any help provided.

blogan
April 12th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Here's a good start... :p

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=636

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Tim, I can't point you to a "musical genre tone recipe book", but here are a bunch of links you can browse through for info:

Lessons on playing various musical styles at Ultimate-Guitar.com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/music_styles/)

Famous guitarists' equipment and playing tips (http://guitar.about.com/od/guitaristsgear/)

About a zillion amp-related web links (http://www.amptone.com/amplinks.htm)

An interesting treatise on electric guitar tone at Penmachine.com (http://www.penmachine.com/musicpages/guitartone.html)

A couple of amp-related forums:

Amptalk.com (http://www.amptalk.com/message-board-forum/)

Guitar Tabs Universe efects & amp forum (http://www.guitartabs.cc/forum/index.php?showforum=11)

You might also find it useful to browse through the list of ADxxVT "patches" at Valvetronix.net, and look for those that list a category, artist or song title of particular interest to you, just to see how someone else tried to reproduce that desired tone.

Tim
April 12th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys for the information. The problem is the patches are named after songs or groups. I am not familiar with most of the names of either. I’ve been lost for about 20 years and have just found myself recently.

VooDoo, I will go through the links you provided and hope I can pick a few tidbits out for my need.

Some fretter should write a book and make some $$$$

Spudman
April 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Ya know Tim, I don't know if in my opinion there are set tones for playing a particular genre.

Some modern country uses distorted Marshalls some use clean Fenders some use boutique amps.
Some new rock music is clean through solid state amps some through distorted amps, etc. etc.

My suggestion is get a tone that works for YOU. Put all your tones at 5 and then move one back and forth to see how it affects your sound. Leave that knob at the place that you like it the best and go to the next knob, and the next knob.
What I'm saying is find your own voice and play the music with the "feeling" and "style" that should go into it. Don't worry so much where the tone knobs are set. What would you do if you had on of those Epiphone tube amps that are seen in the ads on the home page here? They don't even have a tone knob.

Be yourself.

Tim
April 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Spudman,

Thank you for your advice on amp settings. That sounds like the course I may have to take. Not that I am lazy or anything, but I do not understand how to control tone with amp EQ. I understand EQ but not how to use it.

I remember reading some articles in the past on the difference genre settings. I wish I would have written them down.

The following examples may not be true, but I am only given them as an example of what I thought I read and remember.

The Country sound was achieved by turning the bass and mids slightly high. Treble was increased higher for that crisp sound. Some reverb was used to get the ringing sound familiar with Country music.

Jazz was achieved by turning down the treble and mids with a touch of chorus.

Rock & Roll was treble and mids slightly increased and bass turned down.

Blues was the same as Rock & Roll but with more mids.

Anyway, I am not sure if this makes any sense, but it kind of gives you and idea what I am searching for. Once I can get in the EQ ball park, I can tweak to my likening. My favorite sound is the Jazz sound. I know the sound has a lot to do with the chords being played (min 7th, Maj 7th. 9ths, 13ths, etc). But all the different artists have that same tone. I can’t seem to tune it in and I know it’s in the EQ somewhere.

warren0728
April 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
you know i think this is why i have been playing my tube amps lately. Like spud said....my valve jr. has one knob which i usually turn uo enough to get a decent distorted crunch and the back of my guitar volumw when i want to clean it uo.

Same with my classic 20...a couple more knobs but still pretty basic.

Seems like when i play the vox i spend more time messing with knobs than playing (although you can dial in some great sounds with it!).

ww

Tone2TheBone
April 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Warren - I'd leave my tone knobs all at 12:00 and leave them there if I were you. The Valvetronix was meant to model a specific amplifier with each model...all the models have tones that are inherent to their design. Why make it harder? When you get the sound of each amp model in your head then you can adjust to your liking later on. My tone knobs on the Vox are almost always set straight up and they sound wonderful...even on all the models. With my Marshall it's different of course.

Tim - There isn't a set rule of thumb for tones. It's a cliche' to say anymore...but tone is subjective. Depends on who's listening. Straight up tone knobs on your own amp might be an answer for you. Concentrate more on your playing.

warren0728
April 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM
thanks tone....good advice...

ww

duhvoodooman
April 13th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Warren - I'd leave my tone knobs all at 12:00 and leave them there if I were you. The Valvetronix was meant to model a specific amplifier with each model...all the models have tones that are inherent to their design.
I assume you're refering to running the VOX in "manual" mode. In the Preset mode, the physical positions of the volume, gain and tone stack knobs mean nothing when a given amp model is first selected, because they are all determined by the presets for that model. Only after you change the setting of a given knob does its physical position become "real".

Just wanted to state that fact for those reading this thread who may be less familiar with the VOX ADxxVT series modeling amps. This behavior can be very confusing for new VOX owners. It's one of the reasons I run my VOX almost totally in "manual" mode.

duhvoodooman
April 13th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Tim, I came across the following graphic in my Delta Blues owner' manual and thought these settings might be something for you to try out. Just substitute the "Gain" knob for the "Pre" and the "Volume" for the "Post" and you should have a reasonable approximation for use on the AD30VT:

warren0728
April 13th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I assume you're refering to running the VOX in "manual" mode. In the Preset mode, the physical positions of the volume, gain and tone stack knobs mean nothing when a given amp model is first selected, because they are all determined by the presets for that model. Only after you change the setting of a given knob does its physical position become "real".

Just wanted to state that fact for those reading this thread who may be less familiar with the VOX ADxxVT series modeling amps. This behavior can be very confusing for new VOX owners. It's one of the reasons I run my VOX almost totally in "manual" mode.
true....i always run my vox in manual mode...

ww

Tim
April 13th, 2006, 12:15 PM
daVooDooman,

You are the man! You found what I was looking for. Thank you Sir.

Thanks to all you other fretters who contributed comments. Your advice was also very informative.

Spudman, Now that I know where the ball park is, I now can play around the bases. Thanks for your input.

Tone, what can I say. I have heard you speak those words twice. I think it is time to take your advice or face being sent to my room without a guitar to play with. Practice and playing is now on the main agenda. I will also leave these EQ controls at the 12:00 o’clock position + or – a few hours.

I hope this information helps other new guitar players.

Spudman
April 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Rock on Mr. Blue Note! :DR