PDA

View Full Version : replace neck on MIJ 50s reissue Strat?

Pickngrin
April 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I have a Fender 50s reissue MIJ Strat that I bought new around 1989 or so, not long after I started playing. The frets have been pretty worn down and over a year ago, I had a fret recrowning done (the repairman said that it would improve playability). I'm not sure that was the best thing to do, in hindsight...but it was a birthday present from my wife. Anyhow, the frets just aren't enough for me. I'm thinking about buying a replacement neck as opposed to paying out the nose to refret the existing neck. Anyone have any opinions on this?
Would I be able to install any Fender-licensed 21 fret neck? Is it possible to use the Fender decals to make it look like a factory job? I don't want to sink a lot of money into this, but I'd like to make it fun to play again...

Thanks

ET335
April 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I am not sure what you are willing to pay for a good neck,but good quality necks aren't cheap...here is one site you can take a look at to get an idea.hope this helps:)

www.allparts.com/store/necks-guitar-necks,Category.asp

markb
April 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Get a refret but try guitars with different fret sizes so that you know just what you want. Replacing the neck will still involve installing/cutting a nut, possibly shimming the neck pocket, a fret dress and truss rod adjustment. So, unless you're prepared for investment in time and/or money on top of the cost of a replacement neck, a refret starts to look cheap by comparison. Just my two 'aporth.

Oh and btw you can fit any 21 or 22 fret neck. The 22nd fret hangs over the body and fits any strat regardless of what neck was originally fitted.

mrmudcat
April 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I would not separate the body and neck.The japans were some nicely made stuff.A refrett with jumbos should cost about $100-150 or so, same as a new neck. Even some s.s. frets for a little more and you wont have to worry about it again!!! Value wise of course will go down greatly with a aftermarket neck and fake decal.

Pickngrin
April 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I am shocked to hear that a fret job can be done for $100-150... when I checked into that a couple of years ago, before I had the crowning done, I was told in the neighborhood of $300, which deterred me. In case I didn't mention it in my original post, it is a maple neck/fretboard.
I would like to keep the original neck but can't see spending that kind of cash for new frets.

Algonquin
April 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM
You'll likely get a fret dressing for $100-$150, but I believe a full refret plus setup will probably run you somewhere between $275-$350.

Only way to find out for sure is to search out a reputable repair shop in your vacinity and give them a call or stop by with your guitar. At least then you'll know where you stand.

Good luck with your repair.

David

Dauntless
April 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Why not DIY?

Pickngrin
April 15th, 2008, 05:58 AM
You mean refret the neck myself? I am pretty big on DIYing, but from what I've read about fret jobs, they demand quite a bit of skill... no?

mrmudcat
April 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I think I was misunderstood in my reply .I to was talking about diy for $100-150 depending on what additional tools/supplies besides wire($40-50) you need.:beer:

Stewmac has tutorials and supplies. It is not hard. Well not as hard as some might want ya to think.;)

Spudman
April 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Get a refret but try guitars with different fret sizes so that you know just what you want. Replacing the neck will still involve installing/cutting a nut, possibly shimming the neck pocket, a fret dress and truss rod adjustment.

I'll second this.

mrmudcatI would not separate the body and neck.
This too.

A quality refret will get your baby back to the way it was when you first fell in love but even better than before.

mrmudcat
April 15th, 2008, 07:30 AM
But in all honesty not counting a nutt replacement(additional 30-50?) $50 for wire 1-2 hours shop time perhaps more seeing its maple should cover it so $150 -$250 with nut.($10 a fret $30 for nutt=$250,shoptime=50hr)I can check the shop I deal with it is a small town shop owned by musicians,not G.C. or some city place who very well might charge $250-300 or $50 a fret plus $50-100 for nutt work .blah blah:whatever: :thwap:

Also these are real world numbers atleast here in maine not a google search on how much a fret job costs:rotflmao:

Thinking on it, a maple board you will want to take your time on no hiding sloppy work on maple:dude:

content above is my opinion only not to be taken as fact but as opinion only:rockon:

Pickngrin
April 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hmm,.. I am not sure what I'm going to do. I will have a local luthier take a look at it. The thought of spending $300 for frets on a guitar that cost me about $300 new (if I recall correctly) doesn't thrill me.. Thanks for all of the input

LagrangeCalvert
April 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hmm,.. I am not sure what I'm going to do. I will have a local luthier take a look at it. The thought of spending $300 for frets on a guitar that cost me about $300 new (if I recall correctly) doesn't thrill me.. Thanks for all of the input

If its a MIJ then I would deff. get a re-fret. But this is also a guitar that you have had for quite some time, and there is no reason to let it waste away by not sinking money into a well bought (and the value has gone up) guitar. IMHO its madness NOT to get a re-fret on this guitar.

Josh / LC

mrmudcat
April 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM
My jap from that same time period is one of the nicest ive got build wise.One last thought maybe the crown job wasnt that good of a job to begin with . Maybe another will fix the problem.A scallop would get ya what you want. I did this on a 70's neck instead of a fret job.:whatever: I heard alot of crap over it but I plan on keeping it.:bravo: