PDA

View Full Version : Marshall MG 100 DFX

TS808
April 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I was looking for a small combo to use mainly at home, and since I have two tube amps and a modeling amp, I thought I'd look at a solid-state amp (yes, you read that right). I was looking at clips of the Marshall MG 100 DFX and MG 250 DFX on YouTube last night, and was kind of blown away how good they sounded for solid state.

So...while in Guitar Center today, I tried the Marshall MG 100 DFX and wound up buying one. What I liked about it was the fact that it has a master volume so it could be played at lower levels as well as cranked.

Anyway, my 100 watt "bedroom amp" :D sounds pretty good. Solid state amps have come a long way since I started playing guitar.

I messed with the MG100 tonight, along with my Valvetronix, and Bluesbreaker clone tonight just to see how they all compared. There's no sense in comparing the 3 really since they are all different animals...but...I am definitely impressed by the new amp.

There are two modes on the clean channel: clean and crunch. The cleans are the best that I've heard from a Marshall, and the crunch mode is big and fat (think Bassman fat). The overdrive channel has two modes, one that is closer to a JTM 45 and the second overdrive is high gain, modern. There is a cool contour knob too which allows you to set the frequency of the midrange, from modern scooped, to vintage. Along with the midrange knob, you can get some pretty sweet tones. The second overdrive is almost too distorted for me (especially with a strat) so I ran the amp on the first overdrive mode with the bass, mid, and treble at 2:00 and the contour at 12:00 and the gain at about 2:00. The tones were rich, fat, and not overly shrill like alot of solid state amps I've played in the past. JTM 45? Not quite, but again, impressive for a solid state.

I would guess that alot of folks would not be able to tell if this was a solid state or tube amp. Marshall has a Frequency Damping control on this amp that when activated, gives the amp some sweet harmonics and dynamics.

If you're looking for an affordable solid state with decent tones that range from vintage to modern, I would recommend this amp. Give it a listen if you get the chance. It's not a tube amp, but it sounds alot better than a Marshall Valvestate that I owned about 10 years ago, and much better than the Fender Princeton Chorus and Deluxe 85 that I owned in the early 90's.

One of these days, I'll actually have to put up some sound clips.

dws
April 16th, 2008, 05:20 PM
The Marshall MG100 is my amp! It's absolutely fantastic for any kind of guitar you're playing.

And if you're in that kind of mood, It'll get LOUD.

TS808
April 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
The Marshall MG100 is my amp! It's absolutely fantastic for any kind of guitar you're playing.

And if you're in that kind of mood, It'll get LOUD.
I noticed a really big volume jump on the clean channel though when you engage the "crunch" mode....have you noticed that too?

ZMAN
April 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM
TS you mentioned a Bluesbreaker clone. What amp are you referring to.
Does it actually sound as good as the BB. I have serious gas for a Marshall amp, because of the tone. I have a Blues Junior special edition, Blues Deluxe Reissue, 65 Deluxe, and a Vibrolux reverb. I kind of have the fender thing covered so I was looking to get a marshal. I saw a couple of demos on Youtube on the MG100, and I was wondering about the 100 watts at lower levels. I really can play quite loud at home. I had seriously thought of the 50 watt Vintage Modern but the price tag is outrageous.

ZMAN
April 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
TS808 I was at the Guitar center in Portland Maine today and they had a mg100dfx head. It was used and they were asking 279. They wanted the same for the cab. The new combo was only 469. Would you say that is a good price for a used Head? They have them brand new for 599 for the pair.
I bought a pedal today and it was close to 239 dollars so for an exta 50 or so I could get the head.
I was wondering what your thoughts on this amp are?
I am on vacation now and I don't have enough room for the cab but I could buy a cab when I get home.

TS808
April 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
TS you mentioned a Bluesbreaker clone. What amp are you referring to.
Does it actually sound as good as the BB. I have serious gas for a Marshall amp, because of the tone. I have a Blues Junior special edition, Blues Deluxe Reissue, 65 Deluxe, and a Vibrolux reverb. I kind of have the fender thing covered so I was looking to get a marshal. I saw a couple of demos on Youtube on the MG100, and I was wondering about the 100 watts at lower levels. I really can play quite loud at home. I had seriously thought of the 50 watt Vintage Modern but the price tag is outrageous.
The Bluesbreaker clone I have is an 18-watt clone made by Sligo amps. Their website is www.sligoamps.com. It was the most affordable clone I could find and the tones are awesome.

The MG100 plays well at low volumes as well as cranked. I'm satisfied with the amp. It's not a tube amp, but it may be the best solid state I've played in a long time. I've owned a Fender Princeton Chorus and Deluxe 85, both good solid states, but I like the tones of the Marshall better.

TS808
April 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
TS808 I was at the Guitar center in Portland Maine today and they had a mg100dfx head. It was used and they were asking 279. They wanted the same for the cab. The new combo was only 469. Would you say that is a good price for a used Head? They have them brand new for 599 for the pair.
I bought a pedal today and it was close to 239 dollars so for an exta 50 or so I could get the head.
I was wondering what your thoughts on this amp are?
I am on vacation now and I don't have enough room for the cab but I could buy a cab when I get home.
It depends on the condition of the used amp I suppose. If it were in mint condition or very good, I would grab it at that price. It's a nice sounding solid state amp, and can go from pristine clean to bluesy crunch to all out gain, so it has some versatility.

ZMAN
April 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I sent and email to my guy back in Canada, and he has a used 20 watt tube Marshall. A 201 or something like that. They had a 20 watt and a 40 watt version of it. I will take it home and try it out. He is selling the combo, 100 dfx for less than GC and he also has the head for the same price new as GC. He will let me try them out at home first so I can really give them a workout.
If I don't like them I can return them No charge. It is a pretty sweet deal.