PDA

View Full Version : Latest GAS Attack

bigoldron
April 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I found this baby on Ebay and NOBODY bid on it. When I got to checking on her, the seller was only 35 miles away, so I rode there last week to check it out.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd81/bigoldron/NewGuitar002.jpg

Long story short, I picked her up yesterday. For what I paid for it, I practically STOLE it.

What is she? From what I can tell, it's a prototype for a WI66PROB. The WI66 series has a nice arched top with binding on the top and neck. Most of the 66's have standard humbuckers, but one model (WI66PROG) has the P90's, plus it's a gold top. My baby has the black finish with cream colored binding and the P90's. There's no model number on it, but I'm convinced that's what I've got.

The dealer got it from her former Washburn sales rep. He would go to the trade shows and buy up the prototypes and one-offs and sell them to this particular dealer.

Now the good part. The guitar had a price tag hanging on it of $999.99, which normally would probably go for around $600-700. But, they've had it for over a year, with no buyers. Nobody around here (besides me) appreciates Washburns and what good quality they are. So, I was able to get it for a steal!

Needless to say, I QUICKLY wrote her a check and walked out before she changed her mind. Put some new strings on her and MAN OH MAN is she sweet! She plays GREAT as is, but it probably wouldn't hurt give her a good setup. This is my first experience with P90's and they really a nice raunchiness to them that I really like. Overall, I'm stoked! :D :bravo: :AOK:

BluezOldy
April 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I don't know anything about Washburns but doesn't it make you feel really good when you get hold of a great bargain like you did?

Robert
April 15th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Oooh, P-90's? Should sound sweet, and sure a steal!

sunvalleylaw
April 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that is great! Congrats! I like the double cutaway LP shape, plus P90's!

Tone2TheBone
April 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
P90s? Oh heck yeah nice dude. Great deal anywhere.

Kazz
April 16th, 2008, 04:49 AM
OK RON....you know the rules bro.....we need clips....and I for one would like to request a clip where you play a piece on that guitar and then on a standard humbucker type guitar so we can hear the difference.

That would be sooo cool if you could oblige me.

wingsdad
April 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Ron-
You did steal that guitar.:thwap:

I had a WI66PROG a couple of years ago...great axe. With the dot position markers and bell knobs, yours does look like a prototype of it.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/PROG2346crp.jpg

But I sold it to a friend...the P-90 type pups on it have 'dummy coils' under them that (as I 'understand it') work like a treble bleed and fatten them up. The tone pots for each pup were push-pull, with speed knobs. Pulling them up taps the dummy coil and 'thins' the pups, like a treble boost. Does yours have this feature?

warren0728
April 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
beautiful....man i would love a p-90 guitar :AOK:

ww

Plank_Spanker
April 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Nice, Ron................

NICE! :AOK:

Bloozcat
April 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I'd say that's definitely a prototype, Ron. Compare the set of the neck on yours and wingsdad's gold top. For the production model it looks like they lowered the bouts and the neck pocket on the body to allow more access to the upper frets.

You've got a rarity there Ron. It'll probably appreciate quite well in the future!

sumitomo
April 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Wow Ron thats a sweet ride,and the price well to good to be true as they say.Enjoy and tell us how you the neck,sound of the pups ect.I really like the style.Sumi :dude: :AOK:

street music
April 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Nice find Ron, how does it play?

bigoldron
April 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments, guys! I've found a new love, but won't turn my back on my old one (Idol 64DL that I've done a lot of modding on).

Dalron: Yes, it DO FEEL GOOD!

Kazz: I'm a little self conscious about my playing, but I'll give it a try to make a clip or two and I'll let you know when I've got them uploaded.

Wingsdad: I thought I remembered you having the PROG and posting about it on the Washburn forum. Do you regret selling it? From what I can tell, the pots are not push/pull and the pickups are just single coil. Once the new wears off, I'll poke around with the "innards" and see what she's got.

Sumi & Street: She's a real SWEET player. The neck is similar to the 64, which I like. It's not thin, which hurts my hands, but isn't too thick either. The body is thicker than my 64, but doesn't feel heavier. I'm pretty sure there's no chambers in the body, but it does feel surprising light. She's definitely gonna be here for a while!

To the rest of you, thanks again for the positive comments. This is my first experience with P90's and they are definitely different from humbuckers. They sound a little thinner, but a good raunch to them. As with most of us, I'll probably upgrade them eventually, but as I said, I'll wait until the "new" wears off. Keep on rockin' guys!!!
:rockon: :dude: :D

wingsdad
April 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Wingsdad: I thought I remembered you having the PROG and posting about it on the Washburn forum. Do you regret selling it?
Good memory, Ron. :) I'd bought it new but sold it to help buy a used Gibson Blueshawk, a very different 'stacked' P90 (actually called Blues 90's) type which I eventually traded at a profit to help buy a barely used Fender American Vintage Series 62RI Strat, which I then turned a slight profit on to land on a mint condition used G&L Comanche. So, 3 Generations later, no, I no longer have any regrets over letting it go.

From what I can tell, the pots are not push/pull and the pickups are just single coil. Once the new wears off, I'll poke around with the "innards" and see what she's got.

Just stick your fingernail under the lip of a tone pot's bell knob and pull up. If it 'clicks', you've got what I described. You'll hear the difference.

Brian Krashpad
April 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Yee-haw!

That, amigo, is a deal of Krashpadian proportions!

Congrats.

tot_Ou_tard
April 18th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Nice going! That sure looks to be a sweet ax.