PDA

View Full Version : How (musically) famous are you?

Brian Krashpad
April 16th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Do we have some ringers here? Answer these questions vis-a-vis your "musical career," and feel free to give explanatory embellishment (for instance, for magazine/TV/radio questions, was the press outlet/show local/national/international?, etc.), drop names, etc..

Have you ever:

Been interviewed or quoted by a magazine or newspaper?

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, a filmaker or TV show making a film/TV show about music?

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, an author writing a book about music?

Appeared in a film about music, as yourself.

Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper?

Had your photo on the cover of a magazine?

Had your photo on a pull-out center poster or calendar in a magazine?

Written about music in a magazine/newspaper?

Written a book about music?

Been interviewed on radio?

Been interviewed on TV/webcast?

Performed (live) on radio?

Performed on TV/webcast?

Had your recorded music played on the radio?

Been signed to an independent label?

Been signed to a major label?

Gone on a statewide or regional tour?

Gone on a national or international tour?

Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician?

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show?

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, at a multi-stage or multi-venue or multi-day show/festival?

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, before they became famous?

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, after they became famous?

Signed an autograph.

Been recognized as a musician outside of one of your shows or someone else's shows (like walking down the street or at the laundromat or something) by someone you don't know.

Charted on radio play or internet play charts?

Remember, all of the above must be in the context of your "musical career." So, for instance, if I've been interviewed or quoted in a magazine on some legal issue because I'm a lawyer, that doesn't count.

Go!

(I'll answer for myself later as a bump.)

Bloozcat
April 16th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Uh....No.
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto....ad infinitum...

Wealth without fame would be my choice. Anonymous enough to walk down the street unrecognized, but wealthy enough to not give a crap.

"Lifestyles of the rich and anonymous." :D

Brian Krashpad
April 16th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Uh....No.
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto....ad infinitum...

Wealth without fame would be my choice. Anonymous enough to walk down the street unrecognized, but wealthy enough to not give a crap.

"Lifestyles of the rich and anonymous." :D

Haha, yes, I could sure use some more dosh. But we shouldn't read too much into being able to answer some or even a lot of the above questions affirmatively, any more than we should if someone answers "no" to some or a lot. (I meant to put quotes around "famous" in the thread title but forgot, my bad.)

I can actually answer (truthfully!) "yes" to a lot of those questions, yet not only has no one ever heard of me, I haven't made any money to speak of off music either.

Bloozcat
April 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Ah, fame is a fleeting thing, Brian. And 15 minutes of fame fleets even faster...;)

Hey, look at it this way. You're a local media type of famous guy, who's rubbed elbows with some of the more famous (with the occasional national Fender add spot here and there as well :AOK: ).

That's more fame than most will see...

I've had my picture in several of the local papers, been interviewed on TV, but never for anything to do with music.

I guess they just don't know who the hell I am...( :rolleyes: uh, yeah...right!)

Spudman
April 16th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Sure

Do we have some ringers here? Answer these questions vis-a-vis your "musical career," and feel free to give explanatory embellishment (for instance, for magazine/TV/radio questions, was the press outlet/show local/national/international?, etc.), drop names, etc..

Have you ever:

Been interviewed or quoted by a magazine or newspaper? Yes several times

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, a filmaker or TV show making a film/TV show about music? Yes Ski videos

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, an author writing a book about music?

Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper? Yes a couple of times

Been interviewed on radio? Yes

Performed (live) on radio? Yes

Performed on TV/webcast?

Gone on a statewide or regional tour? Yes for years

Gone on a national or international tour? Yes for years

Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician? Yes with a couple

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show? Yes a few times

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, at a multi-stage or multi-venue or multi-day show/festival? Yes a few times

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, before they became famous?

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, after they became famous?

Signed an autograph. Plenty

Been recognized as a musician outside of one of your shows or someone else's shows (like walking down the street or at the laundromat or something) by someone you don't know. Yes

Remember, all of the above must be in the context of your "musical career." So, for instance, if I've been interviewed or quoted in a magazine on some legal issue because I'm a lawyer, that doesn't count.

Go!

(I'll answer for myself later as a bump.)

Ro3b
April 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Gene Weingarten, a columnist for the Washington Post, proposed a much simpler test for determining if you're famous or not, to wit: does your name, when entered in quotation marks in Google, return more hits than the phrase "she moaned?" At 2,340 to 1,420,000, I fail the test miserably.

I can answer yes to a lot of these questions, but really, now. I play Irish music. It's a peculiar little universe unto itself. None of this really means anything.

Have you ever:

Once by the Atlanta Journal, ages ago; several times by the Washington Times (DC's right-wing Unification-Church-owned "newspaper"), which gives me the heebie-jeebies; others I don't remember.

Bunches of times, actually. The most noteworthy being a review of my old band's cd in Dirty Linen, a major folk/acoustic music mag.

Yes, a few times, most recently on WNRN in Charlottesville a few years ago.

Three or four times. Most recently I recorded a concert with with Maggie Sansone that was broadcast on "Fine Tuning" on XM radio.

Performed on TV/webcast?

I've played at the Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage a couple of times; they webcast those shows and archive them forever on their website. Much to my embarrassment in one case.

Quite a bit actually, albeit within the confines of the folk/traditional/world music sphere.

Nope. Not sure I'd want to be either, given the current state of the industry.

Yes, mostly in the East and South.

Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician?

Nobody I've ever played with would pass the "she moaned" test. I'll drop names, but they'll just lie there. Maggie Sansone is pretty famous in the hammer dulcimer world. I play in sessions pretty often with Zan McLeod, a very well-known guitarist who I've learned a lot from. I've also played a few gigs with Billy McComiskey, one of the greatest living Irish button accordion players. I've played in sessions with members of the Bothy Band and De Danann (two of the seminal Irish trad groups from the 70s), Mick Moloney (great folklorist/ethnomusicologist and singer), Paul O'Shaughnessy (Donegal-style fiddler), Johnny O'Leary (legendary Kerry accordion player, RIP), the great Scottish guitarist Tony Cuffe (also RIP) ... you see how it is? You've never heard of any of these people, right?

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show?

A friend and I opened for Solas in Charlottesville, VA in 2001. You may have heard of Solas; they've been in a Winnie-the-Pooh video. THAT'S famous, by god.

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, at a multi-stage or multi-venue or multi-day show/festival?

Sure, that's happened tons of times. Martin Hayes, Cherish the Ladies, the Tannahill Weavers, Liz Carroll. FWIW, I taught at a workshop weekend last year alongside Liz Carroll, John Doyle, Billy Jackson, and a bunch of other obscure-yet-famous people.

Signed an autograph.

Yes, a few times. It's a really weird feeling, like having people ask for a lock of your hair or something.

Been recognized as a musician outside of one of your shows or someone else's shows (like walking down the street or at the laundromat or something) by someone you don't know.

This happens fairly often, but I don't know if it counts; DC's a small town. Nobody knows me by name, though; it's always "Hey, weren't you the guy playing at, um, that place last week? With the, um, you know, the thing?"

Brian Krashpad
April 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Gone on a statewide or regional tour? Yes for years

Gone on a national or international tour? Yes for years

Tell us some more deets about this Spud. When, where?

These are two that I hafta answwer "no" to. :(

Brian Krashpad
April 16th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I can answer yes to a lot of these questions, but really, now. I play Irish music. It's a peculiar little universe unto itself, so none of this really means anything.

Well, it's not meant to imply that any of it means anything. Just a fun way to get people to interact and know more about each other.

Nobody I've ever played with would pass the "she moaned" test. I'll drop names, but they'll just lie there. Maggie Sansone is pretty famous in the hammer dulcimer world. I play in sessions pretty often with Zan McLeod, a very well-known guitarist who I've learned a lot from. I've also played a few gigs with Billy McComiskey, one of the greatest living Irish button accordion players. I've played in sessions with members of the Bothy Band and De Danann (two of the seminal Irish trad groups from the 70s), Mick Moloney (great folklorist/ethnomusicologist and singer), Paul O'Shaughnessy (Donegal-style fiddler), Johnny O'Leary (legendary Kerry accordion player, RIP), the great Scottish guitarist Tony Cuffe (also RIP) ... you see how it is? You've never heard of any of these people, right?

Wrong! I've heard of both the Bothy Band and De Danann. As would anyone who's heard the "Thistle and Shamrock" radio show more than a few times.

This happens fairly often, but I don't know if it counts; DC's a small town. Nobody knows me by name, though; it's always "Hey, weren't you the guy playing at, um, that place last week? With the, um, you know, the thing?"

What thing is that? A bodhran? Guitar?

And yes it counts! DC is a lot bigger town than Gainesville.

Ro3b
April 16th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Wrong! I've heard of both the Bothy Band and De Danann. As would anyone who's heard the "Thistle and Shamrock" radio show more than a few times.

Well, ok, I'll spot you those guys. :-)

What thing is that? A bodhran? Guitar?

You know, that thing! The kind of thingish thing.

I play mainly guitar these days, but also Irish flute (the old-system wooden one) and button accordion, and sometimes mandolin.

duhvoodooman
April 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Like BC, I achieved a perfect score on this. 100% "No". But I'm a legend in my own mind! ;) :D

Kudos to you real famous guys, though! :bravo:

Spudman
April 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Tell us some more deets about this Spud. When, where?

These are two that I hafta answwer "no" to. :(
I toured the Western USA and Canada for about 5 years with no home eating from dumpsters and left behind lunches in restaurants. Pretty much everything west of the Mississippi. It was a fine young man's sport but I don't think I could do it these days in the same fashion. This was during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Remember disco? Disco made it very hard to get paid well for being a live entertainer for many years hence the struggle for food at times.

Brian Krashpad
April 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Like BC, I achieved a perfect score on this. 100% "No". But I'm a legend in my own mind! ;) :D

Haha, me too!

Kudos to you real famous guys, though! :bravo:

Well, like I said, I can answer "yes" to a lot of these questions, but I'm still not really at famous. Bloozcat hit the nail on the head in describing me as a "local media famous" type guy, but even that probably overstates it! ;) :D

Brian Krashpad
April 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I toured the Western USA and Canada for about 5 years with no home eating from dumpsters and left behind lunches in restaurants. Pretty much everything west of the Mississippi. It was a fine young man's sport but I don't think I could do it these days in the same fashion. This was during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Remember disco? Disco made it very hard to get paid well for being a live entertainer for many years hence the struggle for food at times.

Ah, yes, I remember disco all too well.

Kids today who didn't live through it and celebrate it's kitschiness have no idea how truly evil its results were.

I take it you were a solo act at the time? Or was this a team dumpster diving event?

Jimi75
April 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Have you ever:

Been interviewed or quoted by a magazine or newspaper? yes

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, a filmaker or TV show making a film/TV show about music? yes

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, an author writing a book about music? no

Appeared in a film about music, as yourself. no

Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper? yes

Had your photo on the cover of a magazine? no

Had your photo on a pull-out center poster or calendar in a magazine? no, but playgirl called several time ;-)

Written about music in a magazine/newspaper? yes

Written a book about music? no

Been interviewed on radio? yes

Been interviewed on TV/webcast? yes

Performed (live) on radio? yes

Performed on TV/webcast? yes (local tv station only)

Had your recorded music played on the radio? yes

Been signed to an independent label? yes

Been signed to a major label? no, almost

Gone on a statewide or regional tour? yes

Gone on a national or international tour? yes, national

Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician? yes, several times during my years with Fender

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show? yes

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, at a multi-stage or multi-venue or multi-day show/festival? yes

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, before they became famous? no, don't remember

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, after they became famous? no

Signed an autograph. no

Been recognized as a musician outside of one of your shows or someone else's shows (like walking down the street or at the laundromat or something) by someone you don't know. yes, very embarassing, it happened once after a show the next day in a guitar store.

Charted on radio play or internet play charts? yes

Go!

(I'll answer for myself later as a bump.)[/QUOTE]

Brian Krashpad
April 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
[B]Have you ever:Had your photo on a pull-out center poster or calendar in a magazine? no, but playgirl called several times ;-)

Funny as it sounds, I can answer "yes" to that one! I used to write for a regional (southeast USA) music mag called Ink 19. While it was still a print mag, it had a two-page monthly calendar of bands playing in Florida and up in Atlanta, which calendar was in the middle of the magazine. One month my band was actually playing twice in a month, and I pulled some strings to get listed on the calendar. Our band and a couple others that had shows on the calendar had their photos on the calendar, just a little 2"x3" photo in between the various dates and band/venue listings.

Brian Krashpad
April 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Here's a few answeers to my own questions to bump the thread, more later:

Have you ever:

Yes, at least half a dozen times. Local paper, the University of Florida paper, local community college paper, regional music magazine ("Ink 19"), local "alternative newsmonthly" (Satellite magazine), some others I'm forgetting.

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, a filmaker or TV show making a film/TV show about music?

Yes. A local musician filmaker is working on a documentary about the birth and growth of the Gainesville (Florida USA) music scene. I lent him some old video, and also was filmed for it.. Presently it remains unreleased, and sfaik, unfinished.

No.

Not yet, although, as noted above, there's footage of me taken for an as-yet unreleased documentary.

Many times.

More later!

markb
April 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Interesting questions, Brian. Here we go...

Have you ever:

Been interviewed or quoted by a magazine or newspaper? Yes, see below

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, a filmaker or TV show making a film/TV show about music? No

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, an author writing a book about music? No, but I once sold a guitar to the respected UK collector Paul Day whose collection contributed to The Ultimate Guitar Book. Mine didn't appear :whatever:

Appeared in a film about music, as yourself. No

Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper? Yes, the London Daily Telegraph and the Catford News Shopper (front page, that one :rotflmao: )

Had your photo on the cover of a magazine? Does The Catford News Shopper count?

Had your photo on a pull-out center poster or calendar in a magazine? No

Written about music in a magazine/newspaper? Yes, as a reviewer for a youth newspaper long, long ago.

Written a book about music? No

Been interviewed on radio? No

Been interviewed on TV/webcast? No.

Performed (live) on radio? No

Performed on TV/webcast? No

Had your recorded music played on the radio? Yes. Oddly, this happened about five years after the recording and the demise of the band. It was The John Peel Show on BBC Radio 1 for the record.

Been signed to an independent label? No

Been signed to a major label? No

Gone on a statewide or regional tour? Yes

Gone on a national or international tour? No

Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician? Yes, but they're all UK/US folk players so a bit obscure in the rock'n'roll world.

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show? Yes, see answer above.

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, at a multi-stage or multi-venue or multi-day show/festival? Same again.

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, before they became famous? No

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, after they became famous? I wish.

Signed an autograph. Yes, but i have no idea why I was asked...

Been recognized as a musician outside of one of your shows or someone else's shows (like walking down the street or at the laundromat or something) by someone you don't know. No

Charted on radio play or internet play charts? No.

Brian Krashpad
April 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Interesting questions, Brian. Here we go...

Have you ever:

Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper? Yes, the London Daily Telegraph and the Catford News Shopper (front page, that one :rotflmao: )

Had your photo on the cover of a magazine? Does The Catford News Shopper count?

Is there actually a place called Catford? I should imagine that's a pretty shallow ford if a feline could cross it!

Had your recorded music played on the radio? Yes. Oddly, this happened about five years after the recording and the demise of the band. It was The John Peel Show on BBC Radio 1 for the record.

Wow, John Peel is the bigtime! Despite being a Yank I know who that is.

Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician? Yes, but they're all UK/US folk players so a bit obscure in the rock'n'roll world.

I'm not very knowledgeable about folk but I have done some reading and my dad is kind of a folkie type (plays banjo mainly) so we used to have folk records around (things like the Wayfarers at the Hungry I, Pete Seeger, etc.). I'm keen to see who these were, I might actually know some of the names!

markb
April 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Is there actually a place called Catford? I should imagine that's a pretty shallow ford if a feline could cross it!

Wow, John Peel is the bigtime! Despite being a Yank I know who that is.

I'm not very knowledgeable about folk but I have done some reading and my dad is kind of a folkie type (plays banjo mainly) so we used to have folk records around (things like the Wayfarers at the Hungry I, Pete Seeger, etc.). I'm keen to see who these were, I might actually know some of the names!

Yes, Brian, there is a place called Catford in southeast London. I was playing the Lewisham folk festival as part of a dance group and somehow made it to the front page of the local free rag. Here's a link to a picture of the fiberglass cat that stands over the shopping centre.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/53871394_4dfb7321eb.jpg?v=0

As for folkies, I've opened for Martin Carthy and Bruce Molsky as part of the band Tobacco Road (among more obscure names) and numerous british acts as part of The Flying Pig String Band when we were the resident band at London's Cellar Folk Club.

Jamming is a way of life for folk musicians so you tend to play with more or less everyone over the years in one informal session or another. As I've played both english dance music and american old-time string band stuff, this includes a lot of people.

The track John Peel played came from a cassette that was given away with a fanzine. We had one side and the band Flux of Pink Indians had the other. About three songs each, I've probably got one or two copies around somewhere.

Naz Nomad
April 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Played in public with a nationally or internationally famous musician? ... Yes

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show? ... Yes

Been recognized as a musician outside of one of your shows or someone else's shows ... Yes

Oh well, I guess 3 is better than nothing :thwap:

player
April 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Don't know if this counts but f you had a band(long ago) that opened for then CTA better known today as Chicago.would that work?btw the band was called Tumbleweed.it changed names so often that it stuck.

Brian Krashpad
April 18th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Don't know if this counts but f you had a band(long ago) that opened for then CTA better known today as Chicago.would that work?btw the band was called Tumbleweed.it changed names so often that it stuck.

Sure, I'm old enough to remember them being Chicago Transit Authority. :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
April 18th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Yes, Brian, there is a place called Catford in southeast London. I was playing the Lewisham folk festival as part of a dance group and somehow made it to the front page of the local free rag. Here's a link to a picture of the fiberglass cat that stands over the shopping centre.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/53871394_4dfb7321eb.jpg?v=0

As for folkies, I've opened for Martin Carthy and Bruce Molsky as part of the band Tobacco Road (among more obscure names) and numerous british acts as part of The Flying Pig String Band when we were the resident band at London's Cellar Folk Club.

Jamming is a way of life for folk musicians so you tend to play with more or less everyone over the years in one informal session or another. As I've played both english dance music and american old-time string band stuff, this includes a lot of people.

The track John Peel played came from a cassette that was given away with a fanzine. We had one side and the band Flux of Pink Indians had the other. About three songs each, I've probably got one or two copies around somewhere.

That's a scary looking cat!

I ddin't recognise those folk people names but I do remember having heard of the band Flux of Pink Indians. Of course, that's a pretty hard name to forget!

tot_Ou_tard
April 18th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, an author writing a book about music? No, but I once sold a guitar to the respected UK collector Paul Day whose collection contributed to The Ultimate Guitar Book. Mine didn't appear :whatever:

That's a nice book of guitar porn.

Add me to the list of perfect No's.

& yes CTA counts.

Brian Krashpad
April 18th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the responses!

Here's some more answers for myself to bump the thread:

Yep. Now that I think of it, a few times. A couple of them were for the UF student-run newspaper (The Alligator), which has long had weekly entertainment mnagazine inside every Thursday. The first one was the most impressive, they'd done a story on the band I was then in (Camp 7), and our three mugs filled up the whole cover. A little scary! Another time, same mag, they did a story on an upcoming local showcase-type festival Crash Pad was playing, and they put the pictures of 6 or 7 of the bands playing, including ours. It was pretty small and I could recognize myself (DeArmond Jet Stars have a pretty unique shape) though I doubt anyone else could, although it did have a caption with the band name over it. The third time was on the cover of an "alternative newsmonthly" magazine called Moon (called that because it was seen as an alternative to the local NY Times-owned paper, the Sun) when they did a story about the "Hogtown Music Awards," which they were a sponsor of. The entire cover was a montage of the bands who were up for awards, and Crash Pad was in there along with dozens of others.

Funny as it sounds, I can answer "yes" to that one! I used to write for a regional (southeast USA) music mag called Ink 19. While it was still a print mag, it had a two-page monthly calendar of bands playing in Florida and up in Atlanta. One month my band was actually playing twice in a month, and I pulled some strings to get listed on the calendar. Our band and a couple others that had shows on the calendar had thier photos on the calendar, just a little 2"x3" photo.

Yes, both as author (which was how the question was intended) and subject (how some here or elsewhere have interpreted it). I've written for several local, and one regional, mags over the years, as have several of my frineds and acquaintances from the local band scene, so my bands tended to get ink somewhat out of proportion to our popularity.

Nope, though it'd be fun to do.

Yes, several times. One was for a pirate radio station with a secret location at someone's house (they were later raided and shut down by the Feds), the other two times for the 2 stations that were/are at the time (the first station was sold and changed formats to "talk radio") the leading local alternative rock (as opposed to the big local mainstream rock) radio stations.

Here's me, with DJ, at the latter:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/th_BKwTHLS027_24A.jpg

Yeah, a band I was in during the 90's was on a local cable TV show that showed "alternative" music band videos. They came out to the garage at Casa Krashpad, and filmed little snippets of us playing, and asked us some questions, which they used as content between showing the videos.

Nope, I've never done the solo thing and setting up a full band in the studio was too much hassle.

Performed on TV/webcast?

In addition to the cable TV thing mentioned above, one of the other bands I played with on a bill recently, in one of my side bands, did a webcast of the whole bill's performances.

Yes, on the 3 stations mentioned previously and on the local music show on the mainstream rock radio station, and on another free-form radio station that no longer exists. Except for the pirate station, this was almost always in the context of a show featuring local music.

player
April 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Sure, I'm old enough to remember them being Chicago Transit Authority. :AOK:
imagine our surprise getting a call from Jimmy Guercio to back them at GiGi a Go Go's back in the day.this after just an honorable mention at a battle of the bands.guess we impressed someone. :D

luvmyshiner
April 18th, 2008, 11:19 PM
[B]Have you ever:

Does the FBI's "most wanted" list count?:cry:

Jipes
April 19th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Been interviewed or quoted by a magazine or newspaper? No

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, a filmaker or TV show making a film/TV show about music? Yes on aregional TV show
Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, an author writing a book about music? Yes on Story with the Blues about how amateurs playing blues have met this music
Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper? Yes several times for gigs announcement and concert reviews
Had your photo on a pull-out center poster or calendar in a magazine? no
Written about music in a magazine/newspaper? No

Been interviewed on radio? yes several times
Been interviewed on TV/webcast? No
Performed (live) on radio? yes two or three times

Performed on TV/webcast? no
Had your recorded music played on the radio? yes on local radio or Internet radio (mainly with my blues band Mojo

Been signed to an independent label? no
Been signed to a major label? no
Gone on a statewide or regional tour? no
Gone on a national or international tour? no
Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician? no
Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show? yes at least 10 times (Popa Chubby, Alvin Lee, Calvin Russel
Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, at a multi-stage or multi-venue or multi-day show/festival? no
Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, before they became famous? no
Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, after they became famous?no
Signed an autograph.Yes it was funny
Been recognized as a musician outside of one of your shows or someone else's shows (like walking down the street or at the laundromat or something) by someone you don't know.Yes it was funny
Charted on radio play or internet play charts? No

Brian Krashpad
April 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM
Here's some more answers from me:

Been signed to an independent label? Been signed to a major label? Gone on a statewide or regional tour? Gone on a national or international tour?

No to all of these. Over the years, I have managed to play in various cities around Florida outside of my town: Tallahassee, Jax, St. Augustine, Ocala, Orlando, Tampa, and Ft. Myers, plus a couple shows out in rural areas not in any town (one at a campground/music park near Live Oak, and one in the middle of an orange grove in Lake County, north of Orlando). But never on a little weeklong tour. Never played outside Florida either. Sigh. Maybe some day.

Yes, you all are sick to death of hearing that I got to play bass for Bo Diddley a couple years back at a pickup benefit gig.

Only sorta to this one. Played a little multi-act free daytime show at a local community college. They moved it inside because of inclement weather, then realized they'd scheduled the show during EXAMS. Brilliant thinkers, that lot. At the time I was playing bass in a sorta post-grunge type band, and we basically got thrown offstage because there was no way we could "just turn down" low enough to make them happy and have it still be our music. So we did our one slow song after the first couple warnings and packed it in.

Up after us: Sister Hazel. They had no probelm with volume. Though they became pretty famous later, they were not famous at the time.

Yes. We used to have a local festival called the Alachua Music Harvest (Alachua is the county Gainesville is in) that started as a showcase of local bands and eventually grew to include national acts.

The year Crash Pad played ('96) the big acts were They Might Be Giants and George Clinton. Other acts that year that were then relatively unknown but later got some national recognition were Ben Harper, Sister Hazel, and For Squirrels.

Several years later (2002) another band I was in played a sort of successor to the original Harvests, called the Florida Music and Film Harvest, which was up north of Gainesville in a big camping/music park called the Spirit of the Suwannee, near Live Oak Florida. The big acts that year were Train, Sister Hazel (by then they were nationally known), and The Wailers.

Yeah, in 2000 the group Against Me! (for you oldsters or non-punk folks these are a Gainesville punk band that's nationally very hot currently) opened a local show for Crash Pad. At that point they were not a full band as they are now, but an acoustic guitarist and a percussionist.

Nope to this'un.

More later!

deeaa
October 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I'll just list the ones I'd answer yes to:

Been interviewed or quoted by a magazine or newspaper
Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper
Performed on TV/webcast?
Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show
Signed an autograph.
[/B]

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'll just list the ones I'd answer yes to:

Performed on TV/webcast?
Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show
Signed an autograph.
[/B]

That won't do at all.

We'll need details. See post above yours for an example.

Now write!

Perfect Stranger
October 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I will be famous and on TV.......as soon as they catch me....:rotflmao:

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM

DEETS, PEOPLE!

We need deets.

hubberjub
October 13th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Have you ever:

Been interviewed or quoted by a magazine or newspaper? Yes

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, a filmaker or TV show making a film/TV show about music? I don't think so.

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, an author writing a book about music? No.

Appeared in a film about music, as yourself. No.

Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper? Yes.

Had your photo on the cover of a magazine? Yes (local music magazine.)

Had your photo on a pull-out center poster or calendar in a magazine? Not unless you count those nude centerfolds I did back in college. (just kidding)

Written about music in a magazine/newspaper? Yes

Been interviewed on radio? Yes

Been interviewed on TV/webcast? Yes

Performed (live) on radio? Yes

Performed on TV/webcast? Yes

Had your recorded music played on the radio? Yes

Been signed to an independent label? No

Been signed to a major label? No

Gone on a statewide or regional tour? Yes

Gone on a national or international tour? Just down the east coast.

Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician? Yes

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show? Yes

Yes

Kind of.

Does NRBQ count.

Signed an autograph.
Yes which I find silly.

Yes which is also silly.

Within a certain genre.

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Does NRBQ count.

Oh yes, definitely. By coincidence I recently read that one of their founding guitarists, a guy from up in Kentucky iirc, had died.

Now, expand on some of those "yes" responses.

I want stories, not a poll!

sumitomo
October 13th, 2009, 12:04 PM

You are I saw You on COPS! :what Sumi:D

deeaa
October 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
That won't do at all.

We'll need details. See post above yours for an example.

Now write!

Okay, fair enough.

- Several times. Can't really list all here, but both interviewed and quoted. I was told in one interview I sounded like some famous singer and I blurted 'who the f**k is he?' and that got quoted somewhere else.

- Again both...a few pics in music macs in new releases or demos section...a few times in colour even. Newspapers, maybe half a dozen times, last in 2005 in the main paper locally. Got a full page with one of my bands once too in the same paper which is fifth largest in the country actually.

- I worked as a part-time journalist for a few years when studying.

- 3-4 times, in two different towns. Last in, um, 2004 I think.

- Both, TV being a citywide TV station though, not national. In the U.S. I was interviewed for a few web mags and two Internet radios, like ODU.

Performed on TV/webcast?
- Two citywide TV station appearances...also one of our videos won some video contest in some town, was shown for a while...and then I had one song with one of my bands in full national TV station 'powerplay' for over a month.
Sadly I got no income from that, though as the station went bankrupt and never paid any ASCAP fees. I could have bought me a car, LOL, if they had paid!

- Plenty of times. First time was in '89, first nationwide in '92 or '93.
Again, even though it was national airing the times and repetitions weren't very large, so I made maybe a few thousand in ASCAP fees only, and that over a decade.

- Yep, released two small albums.

- Well, what can you count...anyway, I have played in every top-5 city sizewise in Finland. We even had an own van at one point and drove around...never made any money but played a lot of gigs.

- When I was in music school we had a couple of sessions at a local Jazz Club where we had to perform with some pretty big players. Can't remember who they were. Some jazz dudes mostly, but also some blues guys. I'm terrible with names.

- Both, played a few festivals where there were bands from all around the world, and also warmed up a few of the top-10 or even top-3 bands here.

- Yeah, see above.

- Yeah, one of the all-time best done Finnish bands, Apulanta, back in the day...they had just released their first hit which was soaring the charts. And due to some time planning reasons we've sometimes appeared after a much more established band, such as, say, Tarot.

- Ok this one one is kind of a stretch...I missed the single stage requirement. We once played this dual-stage gig with a platinum artist playing the other first and we were supposed to start when he finishes on the next stage. Turns out the platinum artist enjoyed playing so much he played during our whole set and coincidentally nobody came to see us, as we were forced to start in order to keep to the schedule.

Signed an autograph.
- Yeah, a couple of times. Funny enough, also in the U.S. once just for playing a song of ours from tape to someone.

- Used to happen a lot. Isn't it a big part for young guys to get this to happen with girls :-)

- Yeah, soundclick for instance...it's crazy...like with one of my bands I've had close to four MILLION total song plays, almost 500.000 page visits...had songs number one in Metal and Rock and whatnot...

But you can't really count Internet success like Soundclick, Broadjam etc...because that's nothing tangible, there's no money made or anything like that.

jpfeifer
October 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Wow... , I suppose that I am the furthest away from famous as a person can get, but I have played with a few famous people.

I got to do some recording work a few years ago for one of the founding members of Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons. He was the person that they made the show Jersey Boys about. His name is Tommy DeVito. He was a lot of fun and had tons of great stories about playing on the Ed Sullivan show in the 60's, etc. He is really funny guy.

I got to play with Tommy Tedesco once at a music clinic and talk with him. He was my hero because he is probably the best studio musician that ever lived.

Outside of this, I'm not very famous and probably never will be. Maybe it's better that way. :-)

--Jim

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Wow... , I suppose that I am the furthest away from famous as a person can get, but I have played with a few famous people.

I got to do some recording work a few years ago for one of the founding members of Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons. He was the person that they made the show Jersey Boys about. His name is Tommy DeVito. He was a lot of fun and had tons of great stories about playing on the Ed Sullivan show in the 60's, etc. He is really funny guy.

I got to play with Tommy Tedesco once at a music clinic and talk with him. He was my hero because he is probably the best studio musician that ever lived.

Outside of this, I'm not very famous and probably never will be. Maybe it's better that way. :-)

--Jim

Ah, but you have two good stories to tell-- a lot of people haven't gotten to play with anyone famous.

Thanks for sharing.

And the same to deeaa.

bigG
October 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'll try to do this chronologically from memory:

From the 60s and early 70s (too many stories, but these are just the ones that touch on "fame"):

Three members of the first band I was in (myself on bass, the drummer and the guit player) "mimed" the theme song (Yellow Bird) in the background of two TV commercials for now-defunct National Airlines. One was done in the CBS affiliate TV studio in Miami, the other was outside at some motel in the FL Keys. The local-talent front man was doing the on-screen voice commercial w us behind him. (Was in high school at the time, and got off to do those, and, made some decent $!) Pretty cool seeing yourself on TV at all hours of the day and night for weeks at a time. Fwiw, the pancake make-up we all had to wear was NASTY stuff. Had to scrape it off w a knife, just about.

Another band I was in opened for Lou Christie (Lightning Strikes) and Steve Alaimo (can't remember the couple of hits he had), and did some studio demo work with Dion (DaMucci) - (Abraham, Martin and John - as well as earlier Dion and the Belmonts).

Now to the bigger stuff: another band I was in was the #1 band in Miami (abt 1967) and opened for alot of name touring acts at major 2,000 to 10,000person standing room venues. The McCoys, Vanilla Fudge, Young Rascals, Ultimate Spinach, Procol Harum, Grateful Dead, Blues Image (Ride Captain Ride) long before they went to California and recorded the album that yielded that hit...Can't remember any more of that period...

From all those gigs we got hooked up pretty tight w Vanilla Fudge and their managers. In 1968, we went to NYC to land a promised contract w Columbia Records. While waiting for that to happen, we were often the house band at a club the Fudge owned called The Action House on Long Island, and opened for some touring acts there, also: Soul Survivors (Expressway to Your Heart), The Rascals again, The Illusion...Opened for The Chambers Brothers at The Electric Circus in NYC. Saw the real-in-the-flesh Sugar Plumb Fairy (made famous in Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side) while loading out from a club that's right across the street from The Ed Sullivan Theatre (now David Letterman's show is done from there) at abt 3 AM.

Landed Columbia Records contract. Recorded in their famous Studio One in downtown Manhattan. Our signing was announced in Billboard Magazine along w a black n white pic of the band. After recording abt 6 or 7 songs towards a proper album, Columbia decided to test market a single in the regional northeast. The A-side was written by our guitar player, the B-side was co-written by myself and the same guy. (Entitled "Take a Bus" and "Let It Flow", respectively.) Unfortunately, the best that single did was to get to #13 on some station in Maine, and Rob Cavallo, our producer, decided to pull the plug...

So, back to Miami. I joined another seven-piece band made up of mostly guys with whom I had been in previous bands in the mid-60s. We quickly became the #1 band in Miami and the house band at the biggest head-club (and last) called Light My Fire (abt 150 seated/standing capacity). That band headlined EVERY love-in at Greynold's Park (scaffolding and a couple of generators) and on the beach, playing from a stage on the rear deck of the Castaway's Hotel. We got alot of radio exposure as Light My Fire advertised incessantly on radio.

That same band opened for a few outdoor "big-name" festivals, the biggest of which was at the Hollywood Speedway (25,000 people on a BEAUTIFUL late winter's afternoon). MANY mid-name and a few big name acts (kinda like a mini-Woodstock): Sweetwater, The Fudge, Jefferson Airplane (can't remember anymore bands, but there were some 10 or 12 there). That was filmed for the local TV stations nightly news - snippets were shown of some bands (us included, cause we were big name local) and the crowd from the stage perspective. (Man, that stage was something. All scaffolding, abt 20' high and probably 100' across by 40' deep. All we had to do was bring our axes; amps and PA were "generic", but w choices of amps for bass and guitar, and abt 3 or 4 different drum kits.)

Members of that same band (myself included) also did ALOT of studio back-up work for mostly demo tapes of young up-n-coming vocalists, some of whom had hits much later during the 70s disco meltdown. Interestingly enough, the aforementioned Steve Alaimo was running the boards (Tone Studios in Hialeah - an outlying suburb of Miami). Henry Stone, the owner, came to have numerous disco-era hits on his own label, most notably w K C and the Sunshine Band. All of that ended when I made the biggest mistake of my life: to quit music, get married and get a straight job as an electrician. Wasn't just me, though. One of our guitarists also decided to quit and get married, and the drummer, who was from NY, decided to head back home and complete college. Oh well, it is what it is, or, better, was what it was...

Well, that's all that comes to mind as to "bordering" on fame. But I got tons of additional stories of lesser incidents and gigs. While we were in NY, NJ, there was a spell there where we were BROKE! Waiting for monies due us. Eating food from vending machines and making coffee in our motel rooms w Sanka packets and "hot" tap water from the bathroom sink! I don't recommend it!

That's all for now, although I'm sure to remember more stuff once I post this. That always happens...

G :crazyguy

Monkus
October 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Context: Trinidad and Tobago is a small twin island republic 7 miles east of Venezuela. We're approximately 1.2 million people.

Have you ever:

Been interviewed or quoted by a magazine or newspaper? yes, Local dailies.

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, a filmaker or TV show making a film/TV show about music? no

Been interviewed for, or lent memorabilia or other source materials to, an author writing a book about music? no

Had your photo printed in a magazine or newspaper? yes

Had your photo on a pull-out center poster or calendar in a magazine? no lol!

Written about music in a magazine/newspaper? yes

Written a book about music? no

Been interviewed on radio? yes

Been interviewed on TV/webcast? yes

Performed (live) on radio? yes

Performed on TV/webcast? yes (local tv station only)

Had your recorded music played on the radio? yes

Been signed to an independent label? no

Been signed to a major label? no

Gone on a statewide or regional tour (read local)? yes

Gone on a national or international tour? No

Played in public (either jammed onstage or as part of the band/act) with a nationally or internationally famous musician? No, but Air Supply and Survivor used my gear, does that count?

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, on the same stage at a single stage-venue at a single-day show? yes, opened for Firehouse, The Outfield, Air Supply, Survivor, White Lion, Alice DJ, Flock of Seagulls and one or two others I can't remember, different shows between 1998-2002.

Opened for or been (lower) on the same bill as a nationally or internationally famous musician, at a multi-stage or multi-venue or multi-day show/festival? no

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, before they became famous? no.

Had a nationally or internationally famous musician or band open for you, at a single-stage venue and a single-day show, after they became famous? no

Signed an autograph. yes, was creepy the first few times.

Been recognized as a musician outside of one of your shows or someone else's shows (like walking down the street or at the laundromat or something) by someone you don't know. yes, very, very embarrassing, still happens sometimes, small country.

Charted on radio play or internet play charts? yes, local charts, a song called For Tonight.

sumitomo
October 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
That's awesome G what great memories!Sumi:D
All I ever had was my picture on a wanted poster:thwap

bigG
October 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
That's awesome G what great memories!Sumi:D
All I ever had was my picture on a wanted poster:thwap

Thanks, sumi! The older I get, the more I live on those memories. But more like my "autumn of my life" pleasant reflections these days. 59 years brings a certain feeling of acceptance and comfort, at least for me, which is nice.

I wouldn't trade those times and those memories for anything. :AOK

Brian Krashpad
October 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM
G, thanks a lot! Great stories!

Monkus, tell us more on some of your "yes" answers, mon!